Author Topic: Innes and Wallace Gunmakers  (Read 5518 times)

Offline monty1966

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Innes and Wallace Gunmakers
« on: Friday 22 June 07 20:11 BST (UK) »
Hello, Is there anybody out there researching the families of Innes and Wallace in Edinburgh. James Innes snr took over the business after his father, Francis, died. James went onto work for the 5th and 6th Dukes of Roxburghe as their Chamberlain. He was briefly in patrnership will a fellow called Wallace who I think was related to him through his mothers side.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Innes and Wallace Gunmakers
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 June 07 01:21 BST (UK) »
Hi monty1966,

You have not given any dates, but on IGI there is a James Innes born 27 May 1770 at St Cuthberts Edinburgh to parents Frances Innes and Jean Auchterlony. This is an extracted record.
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline monty1966

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 June 07 09:38 BST (UK) »
Hello, Yes, that is the correct family. What I am looking for is any info on Francis's parents. There is a gap between a William Innes, son of William Innes, recorded as an apprentice gunmaker in 1683 in Edinburgh and Francis.                                                                                              Is anyone out there related to any of these families, Innes + Thompson + Auchterlony + Wallace + Wright that are connected with Edinburgh gunmaking?
I know a Fredrick Innes went to Australia sometime in the 1800's.

Offline Lizzieb27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 September 12 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hi  :)

I know this is a very old thread but I came across it doing a search for these names as these are also my ancestors. My gt gt gt grandfather was James Innes B. 1808 son of Francis Innes B. 1770 and Jean Auchterlony. I am also trying to trace the family back beyond these two individuals to see which branch of the Innes clan they came from. If you are still around Monty66, I would very much like to contact you as we seem to be related and looking for the same ancestors.

Thanks  :)

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 September 12 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzieb27,

I am afraid to say that "monty1966" has not been on Rootschat since, Tuesday 29 January 08 19:44 GMT.,however I will send a PM just in case she does log in. You need to have 3 posts before you can start using the PM system, by clicking in the small green scroll next to the persons name. Good luck with your search others maybe able to assist.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Lizzieb27

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 September 12 23:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you Tom - always worth a shot I reckon, sometimes people reply to very old threads on ancestry forums, I found a fairly close cousin this way and he was able to give me loads of info on the family. I hope Monty1966 can be contacted somehow, as she must be quite closely related to me in ancestry terms!  :)

Thanks for letting me know anyway  :)

Offline Celticbrook

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Lizzieb27...I have just started researching my family history and I have the original certificate of baptism for Jean Innes born to James Innes (Gunmaker) and Mrs Janet Thompson (his spouse). Jean was born 22nd July in St Cuthberts Parish Edinburgh and the certificate is dated 16th August 1805.....hope that's of interest  :)