Author Topic: marriages  (Read 2229 times)

Offline ali607

• RootsChat Veteran
  • GG Grandad John Collier 'The Contratenor Singer'
    • View Profile
marriages
« on: Thursday 09 December 04 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi, is there any way you can look up marriages on 1901 census? I mean can you look up an event - birth, marriage, death - like you can on 1881...?I presume the 1881 lookup only goes upto 1881... What about marriages after that?
Thanks
Alison
Surname interests:<br />Salter, Fulford, Woodcock, Finney, Tissington, Driscoll, Shea, Maxfield, Collier, Hughes, Williams, Petty, Pearson, Prescott, Baldwin, <br /><br />Area interests:<br />West Riding Yorkshire: Rotherham, Hemsworth, Darfield, Sheffield<br />Worcestershire/Staffordshire: Oldbury, West Bromwich, Halesowen, White Heath<br />Lancashire: Wigan, Aspull, <br />Nottinghamshire: Worksop<br />erbyshire:alfreton, ironville, codnor

Offline JeannieR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with eldest grandson Nick, now 23
    • View Profile
Re: marriages
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 December 04 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alison

You can't look up marriages on the census, but there are other ways....Why don't you "post" the details you have, names, place
approx year, I'm sure some one will come up with the goods.

JeannieR
This information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 December 04 13:54 GMT (UK) »
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=census/search_census.asp
this is the site called Family Search. It hosts an 1881 census index as well as other BMD information SEPARATELY but not terminating at 1881 at all. There is no facility to look up BMD information on a census - just the bare facts.
The 1901 census is a government pay-per-view site. It has a sister site for BMD which is another pay-to-view site www.1837online.com.
A free site for England & Wales BMD - not complete but getting there is http://www.freebmd.org.uk/
I hope this explains things better for you.
Our Beginners Board has all this information and much else.
Some Rootschatters have access to other data sources so if it is data you are looking for that falls outside one of those sites mentioned then, as JeannieR says, post your specific query here - Who? When? Where?
Good hunting.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 December 04 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Alison,

I think a definition of census would not go amiss here: it means "an official enumeration of inhabitants with statistics relating to them."  When it is taken on a certain date, it gives information relating to that particular point in time.  The basics included in all censuses from 1841 include name, age (rounded in 1841), place of birth (not very specific in 1841, but more so later), marital status, occupation.  So the statistics will change with time: more people are born, so there are more to count.  Some people have died, so they disappear from the count.  Others have married and changed their names.  Some have moved, so we have to look for them.  Or they change their occupation, so in time we get a timeline of someone's career.

The operative word here is statistics.  The census does not tell us when the changes happened, only the differences in the local population since the last count, ten years previously.

For events, you need to look at other sites, as Hackstaple has indicated.

If you need any other explanations, don't be shy to ask.  We like to help you find your way about. :)

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk