Author Topic: Campbell's and Sinclair's from Tyree/Tiree  (Read 29380 times)

Offline macbrown

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Campbell's and Sinclair's from Tyree/Tiree
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 13 August 09 09:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Vivien

Yes, I live in Hawke's Bay, two hours drive from Palmerston North where I grew up. Flora, or Fiona as she called herself, arrived in PN unexpectedly. It would have been later than 1960, more like 1965. I remember my father wasn't exactly pleased to see her.  Ironically their graves in the servicemen's cemetery now face one another. Stupidly, I didn't ask her about the family. Too young to be interested.

My mother always said there was a Hamish but I haven't tracked down his birth. The only information I found related his winning some athletic event. My cousin, Mary, Douglas's daughter, who lives in Essex, had an idea that Hamish ran a pub in London at some stage. Any other info you have about him would be welcome. I still haven't found the date of Archie's death.

Regards
 Anne
Campbell,Sinclair, McDonald, Mackinnon - Tyree

MacKillop, Bolton - England

Offline bodzy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 22 August 10 20:26 BST (UK) »
I have just started researching my wifes side of the family which is from Belfast
They are Campbells but my dates are more advanced than yours
I have

David Campbell  b 1912 in Belfast died 1974

David was the son of Alexander Campbell and Sarah Campbell   b 1887-1888  married 1911    ( Sarah maiden name was Campbell, her father was Thomas Campbell   b   abt 1865)
I believe Alexander Campbell married again to Catherine Mcclean

Alex Campbell s father  was also called Alexander  b abt 1865 in Scotland and he was a soldier   not sure who but i'm told one of the Alexander  Campbells died in the battle of the Somme
Bowden , Anderson ,Parke's Campbell

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 09 October 10 00:50 BST (UK) »
[shieldhall

Looking at the census return. Flora was living and working in a hotel in sauchiehall St. The Moson's were most likely guests.  Colina was with her family.

Have a look at my posting for Agnes MacEarchan Argyll

marcie

Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline lmsb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 12 December 10 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Don

Malcolm and Margaret Campbell had another child, a daughter, Colina, born on August 2 1882 at Greenhill, Tyree. Colina was my grandmother. She too, perhaps with Flora, travelled to the West Indies and her occupation on her marriage certificate is listed as 'Housemaid'. She was married on December 18, 1901 in Hamilton, Bermuda, to Archibald Duncan MacKillop (born in 1875). The witnesses to the marriage were Walter Lake and Flora M. Campbell.  Colina lived for a long time in Bedford. She died in 1946, a year after her sister.

Archibald and Colina had four (and possibly a 5th) children Douglas (1902), Hector and Archibald twins(1904) born in Jamaica and Flora (1907). Hector MacDonald Mackillop, my father, emigrated to New Zealand in 1922.

I am interested in how Flora, a young woman from Tyree, found work in New York.

Cheers
Anne Brown

Hi Anne
I notice that you have a Hector MacDonald MacKillop being your father,  i'm got him as being married twice in New Zealand (1) Enid Grace Gordon -1939 (2) Phyllis Margaret Harman -1948, the latter is what i'm tracing, mainly Phyllis.
She may of re-married to a Absolom after Hector's death in  1969.   Even though Fiona and Hector are in the Palmerston North -Kelvin Grove Cemetery and both have headstones.

http://www.pncc.govt.nz/ServicesAndFacilities/OnlineServices/CemeteryAndCremationDetail.aspx?id=4863

http://www.pncc.govt.nz/ServicesAndFacilities/OnlineServices/CemeteryAndCremationDetail.aspx?id=4958

Could this as mentioned above be your father.

Regards
Lorraine.
New Zealand

Offline macbrown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 01 July 11 04:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Lorraine

Hi Lorraine
I'm sorry I seem to have overlooked this message for some time.  All the information you have is correct and, yes, my mother was Phyl Harman. She died in 1993 aged 76. She was married again to Bob Absolom in 1977. Fiona may have confused you. She was Dad's sister (originally called Elizabeth) and she came out to NZ in the late 1960s. My father wanted little to do with her so it's ironic that their headstones now face one another in Kelvin Grove. If you are researching my mother, we must be related somehow. I look forward to hearing from you.
Regards Anne
Hawke's Bay
New Zealand
Campbell,Sinclair, McDonald, Mackinnon - Tyree

MacKillop, Bolton - England

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 14:27 BST (UK) »
I am researching my Campbell ancestor's from Tyree and would love to hear from anyone else researching these names in this area; also of interest is the surnames Sinclair, McPhaiden/ McFadgen and McLean from Tyree, Argyll.

Debbie

Hi Debbie !

Don't know if you're still following your posting..., as such, I won't go into too much detail about "McPhaiden/ McFadgen."   Especially when reading the follow-up messages with no mention of them ! 

Anyway, it's worth looking at http://keithdash.net    Also, don't forget the Tiree 1743 and 1747 Rent Rolls..., and the 1776 and 1779 census reports.  ;)

Kind Regards..., Iain.   
McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT

Offline maple

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 14 July 11 01:16 BST (UK) »
One of my ancestors was Isabella Campbell from Tyree who married another ancestor Alexander McKinnon from Mull around 1800. ;D

Offline scottishmist

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 23 July 11 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hello

I'm tracing the Campbell from Tyree
Duncan Campbell married Ann McPherson in Tyree 1850 (gg grandfather)
son of Angus Campbell & Ann McDonald
cheers Jan
Paisley:Cowan,McFarlane,
Neilston:Thorpe,Young,Edgar,McGraw,McDonald
Strath:Grant,McClean,Chrisholm
Houston:Whyte
Ayrshire:McIlwraith,McCulloch
Kirkcubright:Halliday,Blackloch

Offline Sharon Clayton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Campbells from Tyree/Tiree
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 30 September 14 20:20 BST (UK) »
I have Campbell ancestors from Balephuil and Balemartin in Tiree.  My GGG Grandfather John Campbell died at sea, along with 8 other men and boys as a result of a terrible storm on July 7, 1856.

John Campbell was born in Balemartine, Tiree in 1794.
His parents were Dougald Campbell (born B4 1768) and Mary MacLean (born 1768)
He married Mary MacMillan (born 1807).  They were married 21 Feb 1827 in Balemartine.
Mary died in Glasgow 1872.
Mary's parents were Malcolm MacMillan and Christy Campbell (1786-1851)

Tiree is hosting a Homecoming celebration in May 2016.  A 160th anniversary commemoration of Tiree's Great Fishing Disaster of 1856 will be one of the Homecoming events.
Please see the Facebook page Tiree 2016 - Balephuil Commemoration for more information