Author Topic: Campbell's and Sinclair's from Tyree/Tiree  (Read 29385 times)

Offline dcarter

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Campbell's and Sinclair's from Tyree/Tiree
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 00:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie,
I am doing some research for a friend, Robert Davidson, here in New Zealand. Seems that Archibald Campbell is his gg grandfather.

Malcolm (1845), son of Archibald and Catherine married Margaret McDonald (b abt 1848, Tyree) on 2 Jul 1869 in Strrathaven, Lanarkshire. Margaret was the dau of John McDonald, farmer, and Catherine Unknown - can't decipher her maiden name on the index image. Malcolm and Margaret had children Catherine (1870), Flora (7 Oct 1871), Mary (1873) - all born in Strathaven- Sarah (1878) - b. Sandford - and Archibald (1880) - b. Tyree.

Flora Campbell apparently went to work for a family in New York and travelled with them to Bermuda where she met her husband Walter James Lake, a soldier in the 3rd and 4th Warwickshire Regiment. We have not yet tracked down her marriage either in Bermuda, England or Ireland. Walter and Flora had children Mary Alexander (1903), Margaret Gertrude (1904), Edward Gavin (1907) - all born in Dublin, Ireland, Donald Adam (1910), Katerine Alison (1910, d. 1915), William G (1911) - all born in Walthamstow, Essex - and Walter (1916) - born in Bedford, Bedfordshire. THe family emigrated to New Zealand in 1920, departing from Southampton on 2 Dec 1920. Walter James Lake died 1938 and Flora Lake died 1945, both in Dunedin, NZ.

Mary Alexander Lake (1903) married Robert Davidson (1907, Dunedin, NZ), the father of my friend Robert Davidson, on 4 Feb 1932 in Dunedin, NZ. The Davidson family had come from Kincardine O'Neill and Banchory Ternan, Kincardineshire, Scotland and arrived in New Zealand on 26 Oct 1870.

Cheers,
Don Carter

Offline shieldhall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Malcolm Campbell (1845-1896) was my GG Gf through Sarah Campbell. He married  Margaret McDonald (1844-1888)  the daughter of John McDonald and Catherine McKinnon.  They also had a daughter Colina (1882).

They eventually settled in Glasgow. Sarah married James Aitken. She died in Partick Glasgow in 1935.   

Offline Roxanna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 April 09 01:02 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am also researching the Sinclair family from Tyree.

I can identify the Ann Sinclair, b. 1800, daughter of Malcolm and Mary Sinclair.

She went on to marry Duncan McIntyre, had a large family and was in the group that emigrated in 1849 to Ontario, Canada.  She eventually settled in McIntyre Corners in Osprey Township, Grey County, Ontario.

I'd be interested in any information on her family and siblings.

Thanks,
Roxanna

Offline gingertom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 June 09 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Don

Flora Campbell is my grandmother. She married Walter James Lake Dec 1913 in London.
Walter (1916) is my father, he died 29 August 1994.

Regards

Vivien

Offline macbrown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 August 09 09:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Don

Malcolm and Margaret Campbell had another child, a daughter, Colina, born on August 2 1882 at Greenhill, Tyree. Colina was my grandmother. She too, perhaps with Flora, travelled to the West Indies and her occupation on her marriage certificate is listed as 'Housemaid'. She was married on December 18, 1901 in Hamilton, Bermuda, to Archibald Duncan MacKillop (born in 1875). The witnesses to the marriage were Walter Lake and Flora M. Campbell.  Colina lived for a long time in Bedford. She died in 1946, a year after her sister.

Archibald and Colina had four (and possibly a 5th) children Douglas (1902), Hector and Archibald twins(1904) born in Jamaica and Flora (1907). Hector MacDonald Mackillop, my father, emigrated to New Zealand in 1922.

I am interested in how Flora, a young woman from Tyree, found work in New York.

Cheers
Anne Brown
Campbell,Sinclair, McDonald, Mackinnon - Tyree

MacKillop, Bolton - England

Offline gingertom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 10 August 09 09:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann,

I am one of Flora's grand daughters. The stories we heard is that she left home and went to work with a family and emigrated with them to America. I think that I found her on the 1891 census as a housemaid with the family of George Moson. A colina Campbell was in the same household but her age is listed as 26. Anyway as the story goes, Flora rose from the ranks of housemaid to cook and travelled with the family from New York to Bermuda.

Regards

Vivien Dell

Offline macbrown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Vivien

Thank you for the extra information. It does seem strange that Colina is listed as 26yrs old when she should have been 9 years old. George Moson and family, I presume were in Scotland. Did all of Flora and Walter's children remain in New Zealand?

Regards
Anne
Campbell,Sinclair, McDonald, Mackinnon - Tyree

MacKillop, Bolton - England

Offline shieldhall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 10:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne

Looking at the census return. Flora was living and working in a hotel in sauchiehall St. The Moson's were most likely guests.  Colina was with her family.

Information removed due to copyright violation. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/copyright.php for more details

RootsChat must deal with any breach of copyright by its members.

For some time the team of Copyright Editors has been removing breaches of copyright and sending detailed personal messages to the member that had posted the information.  Due to the volume of posts and members this is now impractical.  Messages in breach will simply be deleted and this notice posted.  We apologise for any inconvenience caused but are sure you will appreciate the importance of this issue.

Martin Keane

Offline gingertom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 12 August 09 06:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne,

yes all of Walter and Flora's children stayed in New Zealand. However two of their grandchildren and some of their great grandchildren now live in England.

You said that your father emigrated to New Zealand. Do you live in New Zealand now?

His sister Flora came to New Zealand too about 1960. She died in palmerston North in 1975.

I have in my information another son for Colina and Archie. His name is Hamish. Do you know anything about him?

Yes the Mosons at the timeof the census were in Scotland. However they are not in the 1901 Scottish census. Not sure if I checked for them in England.

Regards

Vivien