Author Topic: Taid Jones  (Read 4173 times)

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Taid Jones
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 July 07 07:05 BST (UK) »
Re the black buttons. I'm given to understand that it denotes the wearer having suffered recent bereavment ( family or close friend)

Re the phot of Payne. Note the number 54090 on the rear.
It could be this Albert E Payne

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=4750507&queryType=1&resultcount=31

Gwil

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 July 07 07:27 BST (UK) »
Looking at it again it seems to say
23rd Mansher Rang and then Gravesend etc

Could the Mansher be Manchester and therefore the battalion would be 23rd Battalion?
I can't find a Mansher street etc in Gravesend.
Also have a look at this Manchester Badge
(3rd one down)
http://www.britishbadge.co.uk/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=manchester&osCsid=7cdc83805685c52997ef8d96ca7dff63
Looks similar to me.

Gwil

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 July 07 07:29 BST (UK) »
Sorry

should read 22nd battalion

Offline Gillyg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 10 July 07 23:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for those links Gwil.  It certainly looks like the Manchester regiment badge to me - and a workshop unit within a Royal Engineers company.   So grateful to be able to record his service correctly ....  knowing absolutely zilch on military matters myself (lol).
Payne, Webster, Johnstone, Kent.    Hayward, Wing- Roehampton,Barnes,Putney.

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 July 07 18:03 BST (UK) »
the lad in the two pictures ,is pte,54090 albert,ernest payne,manchester regt,its possible that he was in the labour corps when the picture was taken,this is his lab corps number,581280.
mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Gillyg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 July 07 18:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mack - I'm thrilled with the help I'm getting here.  Is it possible to find out whether he was drafted into the Second World War?
I had an uncle, known to everyone as Napper, and no-one alive to tell me his real name.  He had a massive lump on his neck, and my sister now informs me that this was because he was gassed during the war (but doesn't know which one).  Would dearly love torecord him by his proper name.

Offline manmack

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 12 July 07 14:47 BST (UK) »
gwil,can you post these pictures on our manchester regiment forum,going off whats written on the 2 cards and my knowledge of the manchesters,my guess is that albert was originally in the RE,a few drafts of men from the RE were sent to reinforce the 24th manchester [pioneers] battalion,after the armistice,some of these ex engineers from the 24th batt were exchanged with men from the 22nd manchesters and sent to germany as the occupation force,if you look in the left hand bottom corner of the 2nd card,it says 24th manch,in jan 1919,76 men from the 22nd man regt were exchanged for 101 men from the 24th man regt,nearly all these 101 men were former REs,roy or one of the others on our manchesters forum may be able to add a bit more

mack
military history,mainly ww1,manchester pals battalions,tyneside irish +tyneside scottish brigades,leeds,liverpool,accrington,birmingham,hull,barnsley,swansea and salford pals.

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 12 July 07 15:20 BST (UK) »
Mack

It was posted by GillyG, not me. Hopefully she will pick up your post.

Gwil

PS
 Does anyone know if it's possible to extract all the post re Albert Payne from this thread and put them in new thread with an appropriate title? It seems to have hijacked Gareths initial post re his Taid Jones.This is not an attack/slight on anyone merely an effort to split the two threads whereby each may attract more attention. I've not been around this Forum long enough to know if it happens often but I do know that on others efforts are made to split them.

Offline Gillyg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 12 July 07 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Mack,

That is very interesting, and certainly fits in with all the information on the cards, and explain the difference as to why Albert is wearing a different badge to the others - also seems a lot younger than most of the others.

I would be very happy to post the photos on the Manchester regiment forum - particularly as it might help others recognise/identify some of their own relatives in the group.   Could you kindly point me in the right direction to do this please, or give me a link.  Sorry to be a complete dunce.

And sorry to Gwil for my butting in on Taid Jones.