Author Topic: Gilmours  (Read 11007 times)

Offline Robert_Marr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Gilmours
« on: Thursday 28 June 07 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm looking to see if there is anyone researching any Gilmours from Bute. They were living around Port Bannatyne and Kingarth with a possbile connection to the Black family from Kingarth. The Gilmours were originally from Glasgow. Alexander and Marion moved there in the early 1900s settling in Port Bannatyne and their son William was in Kingarth in the 1940s. Other children may have been there too. The other children I know of were John, Robert, Marion and Alexander.

Marion died there in 1949 and Alexander died there in 1937.

Cheers

Robert
Looking for Hugh Marr and Mary Drummond.

Offline Kayden

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gilmours
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 03 July 08 13:24 BST (UK) »
I have a Mary S Gilmour who was married to John McMillan who were my grans parents. My gran was Elizabeth Annie.  Resided Machie Bay County of Bute. My gran married John McAulay district of Shiskine County of Bute witnessed by Jenny Currie Robertson and Alex McMillan. She had 5 other siblings. Aexander Gilmour McMillan 1901, Ann 1905 Mary 1900, Robert 1909 and Ronald 1904. Elizabeth went on to have 4 children. Barbara McMillan 1918, James Brownlie 1934 (dad) John 1917 and Mary 1924. Elizabeth was born 19.3.1896 Tormore, parish of Kilmory.  Could this be the same family?????????? ??? :)
McAulay, McMillan, McPhail, Isle of Arran Scotland.  Missing Barbara McAulay born1918 Isle of Arran, Shiskine, Bute remained in Scotland.  Mother Elizabeth Annie. Father John. Brothers John and James Brownlie. Sister Mary. Any help with locating her(poss dec'd)family. Elizabeth Annie born McMillan 18,3,1896 to John McMillan and Mary McMillan nee Gilmour in the district of Shiskine,County of Bute. Elizabeth married John McAulay on5.10.1916. Johns father John mother Mary McPhail both dec'd by then

Offline Robert_Marr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 July 08 18:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Kayden,

Thanks for the reply and the information.

I've had a look but unfortunately I don't see a link. The family I am looking for are of Alexander Gilmour (1865-1937), he was the son of John Gilmour and Esther Hall. His parents, he and all his siblings were born in Glasgow. The Bute link starts some time in the early part of the 20th Centuary. With his wife Marion, nee Marr (1866-1949) the couple had 6 children that I know of and all were as far as I know born in Glasgow. Alexander and Marion though both died in Bute and one of their sons at least lived there so It's some time in the early part of the last centuary to date that i was looking for.

Cheers

Robert

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 03 July 08 19:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Robert

As am sure you have seen, Alexander and Marion were still in Glasgow for the 1901 census. There are no Gilmour births showing in Bute until 1910 (searching 1901-1920):

1910 - Thomas at Kingarth
1912 - Annie Connell at Kingarth
1913 - Rachel Elsie at Rothesay
1915 - Janet Hinshaw at Kingarth
1919 - Mary Young at Kingarth
1920 - Mabel at Brodick

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Robert_Marr

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 05 July 08 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica,

thanks for those. None look like a match but it did get me thinking which always helps. Now that the birth and death indexed to modern day are online I checked them for Bute- which I never thought to do before. That has helped as I have now found two of the children died there which could also mean those children, where married, had family there. I have more to go on now so will keep the search going.

Cheers

Robert

Offline jives11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 January 12 20:48 GMT (UK) »
I too am searching for a Gilmour from Bute.

I'm trying to trace the family of the pilot of an RAF Lancaster that was shot down near Rennes in France in 1944.
He was from Rothsay, Buteshire and I think his father may have been the Postmaster.

Here is what I know:

Aircraft was Lancaster BI LL841 Code VN-O of 50 Squadron

Pilot Officer (Pilot). GILMOUR JOHN. 50 Sqdn. Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve. Coll. grave XVI. D. 3-6. BAYEUX WAR CEMETERY.  Son of John and Margaret Beatrice Gilmour, of Rothesay, Buteshire.

John Gilmour Snr's death certificate d.3 Mar 1950 and his occupation was listed as Postmaster (retired) . He was living at Ardmount, Armory Road, Rothsay and this may have been where Flying Officer Gilmour was from. His   death was reported by E.J. Foot- who is recorded as an acquaintance.  Margaret Beatrice Gilmour (nee Ballantine) died in 1970 on Bute aged 85.

I believe that FO Gilmours grandfather was William Gilmour , originally from Ireland, and his grandmother was Elizabeth. the family are listed in the 1901 census living in Glasgow t 8 Woodside Place and Williams trade is telegraph Clerk, with one daughter listed as Telephone Operator. So clearly the family had a tradition of postal and telegraphic service.

I'd be very interested to hear from relatives of this family. I'm working with a Group in France with a group who want to  create a memorial to the crew of this aircraft. Any pictures or biographical information about F/O John Gilmour would be very gratefully received.

my email is (*)

many thanks

Jonathan

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline jives11

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 January 12 12:30 GMT (UK) »
I now have a picture. I believe F/O John Gilmour is front row , centre