Author Topic: Longsight wedding?, do you recognise this vicar?  (Read 21316 times)

Offline Eastman

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Longsight wedding?, do you recognise this vicar?
« on: Thursday 28 June 07 19:21 BST (UK) »
I have the following unamed wedding photograph and recognise no-one in it but am desperate to identify the people shown as I think they are distant relatives.

All I have to go on is then the vicar on the left of the picture, the photographer V. Spencer, Longsight, and the guess that it was taken in the 1920's - 30's.

Do you recognise this vicar? or, do you have any photo or newspaper cutting of this vicar which might give a clue to the name of his church?  - as once I know that I can search through it's register.

ANY help gratefully received.

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Longsight wedding?, do you recognise this vicar?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 June 07 00:36 BST (UK) »
What a lovely photo.  Have a look at genuki for some modern day photos,

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/LAN/Kirkmanshulme/   

Maybe this will help? A list of Longsight churches  quickly taken from my trusty copy of 'Longsight Past & Present' by Gay Sussex. Might jog someone's memory.

Calvinistic Methodist Church, Daisy Bank Rd aka The Welsh Church, built  c1913, closed 1951.
College Chapel Methodist Church, Dickenson Rd, built 1907, closed 1978. Reopened as  the Church of the God of Prophecy
First Church of Christ. Scientist,  Daisy Bank Rd, Victoria Park. 1903 – 1971, now  the Edgar Wood Centre
Independent Chapel, Lime Grove (Ivy chapel), opened 1853, closed 1933
Longsight Free Christian Church (Unitarian Chapel), Birch Lane/Plymouth Grove corner. Opened in the 1880s, closed 1948.
Longsight Baptist Church, Slade Lane, opened 1900.  Later became the Church of God 7th Day
Longsight Methodist Church, Stockport Rd, 1853 - 1966
Longsight Presbyterian church, Stockport Rd opened 1870
North Rd Methodist Chapel, East Rd, opened 1911, extended 1959. Name changed to Northmoor Rd Methodist Church in 1968.
Roby Congregational, Dickenson Rd, 1911.
St Agnes C of E, Hamilton Rd, consecrated 1885
St Clements C of E, Gray St consecrated 1876 (now demolished)
St Johns C of E, St Johns Rd consecrated 1846 – only church in Longsight with a graveyard. In 1929 was amalgamated with St Cyprian's of Stanley Grove
St Josephs RC Church, Plymouth Grove, opened in 1915. (site originally housed the St Josephs Technical School Chapel)
St Roberts RC Church, Hamilton Rd. The current church was built in 1970 but an earlier building was there before it.
Re-organised Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, Beresford Rd. Opened in 1923.

No mention in the book of Bethshan Tabernacle,  Slade Hall Grove, but I would guess by its architecture  that Bethshan was built later than this photo.

If anyone knows about ecclesiastical robes,  could help to identify the denomination of the vicar, if not the man himself? I used to go to North Rd Methodist Sunday school & I don't recall the ministers wearing full robes like this, but maybe they did for weddings.

Good luck!
 ;D Barbara

LANCS:  Greenwood, Greenhalgh, Fishwick, Berry,
CHES/DERBYS:  Vernon
YORKS/LINCS: Watson, Stamford, Bartholomew,
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 29 June 07 11:40 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I can't help as such.
Regarding the vicar's long robes - I've got a 1940s wedding photo with a similarly clad vicar who is "high church" C of E - just to confuse the issue he was a relative who took that wedding rather than the vicar of the actual church where the ceremony took place.
I'd agree with you Barbara - unlikely to be Methodist - if anything those I've been to have a white lightweight robe (?surplice) over standard suit - not long robes. I'd guess C of E or RC.

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 29 June 07 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hi, thanks for the PM. Here again is the website address for Longsight Memories, which includes a superb memoir of life on North Rd Longsight in the 1940s/50s

http://manchesterhistory.net/LONGSIGHT/MEMORIES/memories.html

In the hope that someone else sees it and it jogs a memory somewhere. And if you can find out what church denomination your wedding family were, it will cut your search down a bit!
forgot also to mention on the above list, St Richards RC church on Sutcliffe Avenue.  If the family were Catholic, this would have been their nearest church. If they were C of E it would have been St Cyprians

:) :) :)
Barbara

Offline Eastman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 30 June 07 15:04 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for the thoughtful responses.

I am leaning towards the vicar being from St Clement's, Longsight as I believe St Clement's was a high church, Church of England.

I know the Rev. George Hayden was the vicar of St Clement's in 1912 and would like to know if he was still there in the 1920's - 1930's

So if a kind reader has access to Crockfords Clerical Directory could you please check the record of the Rev. George Hayden for me as this directory will list when and where he was appointed.

If I have this record  I could look in the local newspapers for his appointment or retirement from the church which are usually accompanied by a photograph which I can then compare against mine to see if I'm right or wrong.

A long way round but probably the only way forward!

Offline Barbara.H

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 November 09 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Following a nice PM from Eastman, I thought I'd put this one back at the top of the list.  If nothing else, because the weather here is still terrible and in the photo its dry and sunny!  :D

Since I last looked, Ancestry have put out the 1929 Manchester directory and a possible for the photographer might be:
Vernon Spencer, artist, 22 Rowsley Avenue, Levenshulme.

Rowsley Ave has been renamed Rushmere Ave, off Barlow Rd, which is midway between St Marks C of E church on Manor Rd and St Peters on Stockport Rd.

Does anyone  think that this photo might be of either St Marks or St Peters?

:) Barbara

PS: 1929 directory also has a section on churches and the clergy: rector of St Marks was Thomas Henry Ethell, and St Peters was Frank Iliff (an inventor! google him!).  Going back to the original suggestion of St Clements, rector there was Arthur John Henstock.

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 November 09 15:20 GMT (UK) »
http://www.crockford.org.uk/

No G or George Hayden on their website search engine
Harris - Millington - Hilton - Capper - Smith - Jones

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 November 09 15:26 GMT (UK) »
1929 ECCLESIASTICAL DIRECTORY - DIOCESE OF MANCHESTER

ST. Clement, Longsight, Ducie st-
Rev. Arthur John Henstock. M.A. rector. The Rectory. Marlow Street, Longsight

Offline uk2003

• --
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 November 09 15:42 GMT (UK) »
1913 ECCLESIASTICAL DIRECTORY - DIOCESE OF MANCHESTER

ST. Clement, Longsight, Ducie st-
Rev. George Hayden. rector. The Rectory. Marlow Street, New bank Street, Longsight