Author Topic: ca 1930 pic of my mother  (Read 7889 times)

Offline maple

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: ca 1930 pic of my mother
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 01 July 07 02:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Caz & JP,

It isn't Photoshop that I had.  I made an error  :-[ :-[ on that message.  I have Paint Shop Pro XI, a much less expensive program.  I don't believe that it is as good as Photoshop, but there are similarities.  I will just have to work with it and if I get good enough, I might invest in Photoshop.  I will try some of the tutorials that are around to see if they can be of some help. 

Thank you everyone

Maple

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 01 July 07 07:06 BST (UK) »
Maple,
I also have Paintshop pro and its just as good. Started with original Corel Paint then PSP 5, 7 then 9 don't count the years please... restoration work only since April with PSP 9 then Elemets 5. I find photo manipulation, moving things round much easier in Paintshop but then thats what I was mainly using it for before with technical line drawings etc. 

There are many other people on here using Paintshop with excellent results, try out all the tools, you will find they are the same as Photoshop but the layout looks a little different and there is masses of adjustments for each tool. If you google "paintshop pro" and "tutorials" there are loads out there. But its best to just play and see what happens..... always work on a copy so that the original scan stays intact or find one on this board that looks like a simple restore, just a few spots or a small crease and see if you can remove them with the clone tool then play with the lighting and sharpening to see what happens.
jc
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Woodentop50

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scan your photos at 300to600 ppi..........or else
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 01 July 07 19:09 BST (UK) »
Oh granny , what big eyes you got !   :o

Jim   :)
WOOD in  Hunslet  area of Leeds , West Yorkshire
WOOD in Knottingley , West Yorkshire

Scan your photos at 300 to 600 ppi for best results

Offline maple

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 01 July 07 20:45 BST (UK) »
Hi JC & Jim

Thank you for the info, I will be googling up for tutorials.  I have quite a few old pictures that I would like to restore, one was even torn in half.  I would like to learn how to colorize them too, and put them side by side with the restored BW in my Special Family Album.

Jim, all I can say is AMAZING.  :o How do you do it? if I could only learn to be half as good as you are, I would be pleased with myself.  Thank you so much.

Thank you both ;D

Maple