Author Topic: Gray family  (Read 33169 times)

Offline Gray_Girl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gray family
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 25 August 13 22:34 BST (UK) »
Can't see who wrote this so cant say hello. But if you are tracing Gray family, the states connection is interesting, I know my father was invited to the states by family out there to work, luckily he turned it down and luckily met my mother!

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 21:13 BST (UK) »
Interesting - the only Gray link to the States I'm aware of is Emma/Emily Gray who married Harry Sandbach Middleton and emigrated in 1883. Their son Gustavus William Middleton who married Lorina Leondra Agnes Madonna Mace, daughter of Pooley Mace (cousin of Jem Mace the pugilist).
If you are a Barron I know Lorenzo was researching Barron Amusements and the family tree about 20 years ago now.

Offline janefarmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 26 October 13 15:42 BST (UK) »
Keomi GRAY and Frederick Sandys were my GGG grandparents.  1864: Frederick attempted to get a divorce and "another woman" was quoted but not named in divorce proceedings (see Ancestry site).  Same year - the first of Keomi and Fred's four children were born called Ethel (Athel on one census/but not Athela who is another Ethel Gray born at same time). Ethel went to USA, possibly with close friends of Emma Middleton about 1864 (not confirmed yet).  In 1887 Ethel married Arnold Lee, Boston, Massachusetts ( I have seen marriage cert.)  Relatives of Arnold are still in Boston.  Arnold died on pioneer trail.  Ethel had a daughter called Maud who she returned to England with about 1891.  Ethel had a varied career and was a child actress at Drury Lane, at some point worked in the Buffalo Bill show either in the USA or England, and a palmist in London (see Census 1901).  Her daughter, Maud, married William BARRON who was son of George and Leborina (Keomi's sister). Info was gathered from Ancestry site, Eric Trudgill and family.

Offline CitizenSmith

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 05 November 13 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jane

Welcome to Rootschat - and fascinating to hear that you're related to Keomi Gray and Frederick Sandys. Are you a descendant of Athela/Ethel Maud, Frederick Cyril, Madeline Mabel or Herbert?

I don't have Gray blood myself but have been researching Keomi's family for many years as some members of my East Anglian Smith family tree married Grays and no doubt travelled with them. They include Laura Smith, the partner of Frederick Cyril Gray, Keomi's first son by Sandys; and Holly Hope, the grandson of Mary/Polly Smith, who married Nellie Gray or Bonnett, Keomi's daughter by Charlie Bonnett.

Happy to share what I have, including a photo of the marriage of Nellie Gray/Bonnett to Holly Hope in Great Yarmouth, 1898, with Keomi Gray and Charlie Bonnett in it. Just let me know what would help you in your research into Keomi and her family.

Best wishes
Sharon
Smith - East Anglia & Lancashire
Taylor - East Anglia
Draper
Hope
Shaw
Gray
Boswell
Lovell
Robinson
Chilcott
All Blackpool Gypsies
"Royal Epping Forest Gypsies": ball-giving group
"Borrow's Gypsies": the people that the novelist George Borrow (1803-1881) knew and wrote about

Offline janefarmer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 09 November 13 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon

I am a descendant of Athel/Ethel Maud.  I meant to write that she had gone to America in 1884 (not 1864 which was her birth year), on previous post.  I found the record on Ancestry of Ethel  travelling with the Tyler family.  Harry S Middleton appears to have died in 1879 and Emma remarried Sydney Tyler in 1882, then travelled to New Orleans, from Liverpool, in 1884 with Ethel in tow. (I still need to double check these facts though).  I would love to see a photo of Keomi and Charlie, but I am sadly lacking computer skills, so I need guidance!
All the best
Jane 

Offline sheldonium

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 16:27 BST (UK) »
hello I am one of the gray family aswell  (now showmen).
I have traced my family back to Lincolnshire cambs and Norfolk backwards it goes
grand dad Clarence wife reeney lowthorpe gt gd bert. gt gt gd adolphus wife emma. and I think his dad it seems anyway was called osseri / oserer wife eliza. any help clearing this up or more would be greatfully received.
thank you in hope.

Offline An65

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 17 July 14 14:27 BST (UK) »
I have traced my family back to Lincolnshire cambs and Norfolk backwards it goes
grand dad Clarence wife reeney lowthorpe gt gd bert. gt gt gd adolphus wife emma. and I think his dad it seems anyway was called osseri / oserer wife eliza. any help clearing this up or more would be greatfully received.
thank you in hope.

Gotcha.

Clarence and Rene Lowthorpe married in 1939, and he appears to hae been born about 1900.  his mother was Jane Elliott and his father Alfred the son of Adolphus & Harriet Forster. They were married in 1886 in Foulsham and Alfred and his siblings were born previous to that marriage but that's not unusual often gypsies didn't worry to marry at all because they lived by their own marriage rules. Having said that the children could have been the product of his previous marriage to laura durrant (1869 at Yarmouth). The children appear on census as if they were harriets. Alfred known siblings: Kenzer, Baron, Beatrice, Richenda and Lily.  Adolphus was buried in 1901 at Watton. Now Adolphus siblings were: Louis married Leannabel Smith, Genty married Charles Smith, Saint Honor printer/printall and Arthur Smith aka Arkless aka Dud Buckley. Alfred married Emma Theresa Hartley, Samuel, Emily/Emma married Harry Middleton & Sydney Tyler {above} kiome who had a liason and several children with Frederick Sandys before marrying Charles Stewart Bonnett and Laborina who married George Barron.
The parents of this bunch were osseri/ossery/and other varied spellings Gray and Eliza Heron or Herring, who married in 1830 at Wisbech. He had previously been married to Elizabeth Billing (in 1823 Norwich)  and his wife Eliza had had at least one child by John Budd (jack) Gray - Sonny b.1827.
Osseri Grays parents were Osseri Gray b.1777 Horningsea, s/o Thomas & Elizabeth, and his wife Ann Riches.

Offline Lcg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 30 November 14 21:04 GMT (UK) »
thank you in hope.

Gotcha.

Clarence and Rene Lowthorpe married in 1939, and he appears to hae been born about 1900.  his mother was Jane Elliott and his father Alfred the son of Adolphus & Harriet Forster. They were married in 1886 in Foulsham and Alfred and his siblings were born previous to that marriage but that's not unusual often gypsies didn't worry to marry at all because they lived by their own marriage rules. Having said that the children could have been the product of his previous marriage to laura durrant (1869 at Yarmouth). The children appear on census as if they were harriets. Alfred known siblings: Kenzer, Baron, Beatrice, Richenda and Lily.  Adolphus was buried in 1901 at Watton. Now Adolphus siblings were: Louis married Leannabel Smith, Genty married Charles Smith, Saint Honor printer/printall and Arthur Smith aka Arkless aka Dud Buckley. Alfred married Emma Theresa Hartley, Samuel, Emily/Emma married Harry Middleton & Sydney Tyler {above} kiome who had a liason and several children with Frederick Sandys before marrying Charles Stewart Bonnett and Laborina who married George Barron.
The parents of this bunch were osseri/ossery/and other varied spellings Gray and Eliza Heron or Herring, who married in 1830 at Wisbech. He had previously been married to Elizabeth Billing (in 1823 Norwich)  and his wife Eliza had had at least one child by John Budd (jack) Gray - Sonny b.1827.
Osseri Grays parents were Osseri Gray b.1777 Horningsea, s/o Thomas

Hi there. My name is Louis Gray. Im a direct descendant of the above mentioned. Jane Elliott and Alfred Gray are my great Grandparents. Clarence was not one of their Children. Albert,my Grandad was. I'd be keen to hear more info going further back. All info appreciated

Offline Athalia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 07 August 16 12:01 BST (UK) »
 This year ,just started helping with a friends  family tree,, Grays of great yarmouth,,a descendant of Frederick Cyril Gray & Laura Smith....any info /photos ..please,,
Amazingly  found that I'm connected to Laura Smith !  through James Whatnell & Adelaide Smith,,James was my GGgfather's brother.

Ive known my friend for over 40yrs !! just recently talked about our historys