Author Topic: Count John McCormack  (Read 6413 times)

Offline tisonlymoi

• RootsChat Extra
  • I'm new to all of this so may ask daft questions!
    • View Profile
Count John McCormack
« on: Monday 02 July 07 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hi - I understand that Count John McCormack was the cousin of my Gt Grandfather Patrick Clocherty.

Patrick was the son of Michael Clacherty (his parents were Patrick Clacherty & Agnes McNamara) and Delia Egan (daughter of John Egan & Bridget Kelly.

I'm not sure which side of the family the connection comes but if anyone can help at all I'd be hugely grateful.

Thanks, Tis
DUMBARTON - Clocherty, Clacherty, Knox, Egan, Kelly, Cavan, McAlpine, Dougan, McQuade, McNamara, Hollern, Holleran, Reilly<br /><br />LEITH/EDINBURGH/BERWICKSHIRE - Logan, Nairn, Broomfield, Gray, Aitchison, Bird, Cummings, Murray, Johnston, Davidson, Purves<br /><br />MAYO, IRELAND - Mulloy, Molloy, Malloy<br /><br />ENGLAND - Robinson, Cave, Mullier, Parvin, McGee, Monaghan

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Count John McCormack
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 08:30 GMT (UK) »
I am not sure if you will be expecting a reply after all this time.  In my grandmother's family we have the same story that John McCormack is related to her family. We live in New Zealand but my grandmothers family were from ireland.  Her father was Ambrose Patterson Williams of Cloughjordan and her mother was Ellen Agnes McCann (nee Henagin/Hannigan) of Strokestown Co Roscommon.

I ma about to start to sort out all of this.  Were your family from Westmeath?  His father, Andrew McCormack was born in Scotland but of parents from Co Sligo I understand. 

Have you got any further with your search?

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 12:45 GMT (UK) »
to help in your search this is an interesting piece from ancestryireland using the McCormacks for illustration purposes - LINK

Count John McCormack was one of eleven children of whom only five I believe lived to adulthood
The eldest ones were born in Scotland and the younger in Ireland

Family on 1901 census ;
John in Summerhill College
and the family on the 1911 census
by then John was in London I believe

Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 October 14 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the links. I am now trying to connect the families in the original post with mine.....to see if any connections can be found. The talk is persistent in my family and I have learnt not to disregard these in my ancestor searching as I have most of them have some truth.   

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 11:25 GMT (UK) »
was he a tenor

http://www.britannica.com
then type in search box- John McCormack Irish singer

made a Count in 1928