Author Topic: BATHE family = confusion!  (Read 22675 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: BATHE family = confusion!
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 22 January 09 13:26 GMT (UK) »
I m sure you would already have looked at the National Archives site and found entries of Bathe families from Purton and "Elcombe in Wroughton" and others also.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/search/search_results.aspx?st=q&querytext=bathe

Thought I'd mention it, just in case..........

Judith, Canberra, Australia
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline imt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 22 January 09 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Judith

Thanks for posting this site.  I had not searched the National Archives although I have spent a day researching at the local Record Office.  I've had a look at all the NA references and saved the relevant ones.  I have come across most of the Bathe names mentioned but unfortunately they don't link into my tree at the moment.  Maybe in years to come I'll find the link between the monied branch and my ag labs so I'll keep the information for reference.

Thanks again.

imt
Gloucestershire: Bathe, Brown, Cowley, Foster, Isaacs,Keey
Somerset: Brown
Wiltshire: Bathe
Yorkshire: Foster

Offline Peter Bathe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 22 January 09 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Yes - I looked too and they are all from the rich side of the family!

Peter

Offline Trevor Hopkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: BATHE family
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 20 December 12 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
You certainly started something with your enquiry - My wife is Margaret Bathe, b  1939 in Woolwich. I have her Family Tree which goes back to Norman times having passed through London to Wiltshire Wroughton and before that to Purton, then back to County Meath in Ireland and also Drogheda before they left Normandy.  The evidence prior to 1500 is slender but the Wiltshire to London evidence is secure.
I have a tree with 14000 names in - only 500  Bathes which I will exchange for your tree  if only someone will tell me how to post it to you. Best wishes,
Trevor Hopkins

Offline Trevor Hopkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 20 December 12 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello again,
William, 1834 is brother to Sarah 1837 but also her husband - perhaps not.
Martha was born 24 Feb 1870 - 2nd cousin 4x removed d. Westbury on Trym,  Bristol.
William born 20 4 1834, Elcombe d c1895  1st cousin 4x removed as is Sarah.
best wishes, Trevor Hopkins

Offline imt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 20 December 12 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for getting in touch again, Trevor.  I have to admit that I have not done any family history research for months.  I believe that Sarah Bathe b 1836 Wroughton and William Bathe b 1834 Elcombe are possibly cousins.  Once Christmas is over and if the weather confines me to barracks, then I may get back to my ancestor hunting.  I'm waiting for my son and his family to arrive at midnight tonight so shall be rather busy over the holiday period!  Best wishes for a Happy Christmas  :)  Iris
Gloucestershire: Bathe, Brown, Cowley, Foster, Isaacs,Keey
Somerset: Brown
Wiltshire: Bathe
Yorkshire: Foster

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 22 December 12 01:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Trevor and welcome to Rootschat.

As you have made three posts you should be able to use the PM system.  Click on the name of the person you wish to contact and you should be able to find the links from there.  :)

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Trevor Hopkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 15 January 13 14:19 GMT (UK) »
HELLO BATHE FAMILY.

I can give you two family trees which if you look up on Ancestry and Family Tree records you will find many of the Bathe family.  Peter Bathe and Trevor Hopkins 2010 have both independently created trees of the Bathe family in Wiltshire. Trevor Hopkins is married to Peter Bathe's sister. The family seem to have left Normandy in the early 11th Century for Ireland and then after living in castles in the East Coast left for Wiltshire about 1550. Our part of the Bathe family lived in Wroughton and Elcombe and then left for Purton. In modern times our ancestor left for Woolwich area but there are plenty of Bathes left. The family were originally de Bathe but lost the de about 500 years ago.

Trevor Hopkins -

Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

See Help-Page:
  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline Peter Bathe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Monday 24 July 17 09:01 BST (UK) »
I know this thread was started 10 years ago and so the confusion may have been resolved already but if anyone is still interested, I think I've cracked it.

Sarah was William's first cousin once removed. Her father, John Bathe, was the son of Robert Bathe, brother of Joseph Bathe, William's father.

I have done quite a bit of work on this family and would be happy to share