Author Topic: BATHE family = confusion!  (Read 22672 times)

Offline imt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BATHE family = confusion!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 16 July 07 15:32 BST (UK) »
Tantan you are an absolute star!  I'd be grateful for any help you may be able to give me.   :)

Here are my main links to the Bathes:

My grandmother was Martha Bathe, b 24 Feb 1870 in Wroughton.  My research leads me to believe that her parents were: William Bathe bapt 1834 in Elcombe and Sarah.  The only Sarah I can trace marrying a William Bathe at about the appropriate time was Sarah Bathe in 1862 reg Highworth Dec qtr.  I wonder if they were cousins?  If my research is correct, Sarah Bathe was the daughter of Mary Bathe b abt 1811 an unmarried ag lab who also had a son Robert b abt 1828.  These three were living in Wroughton in the 1841 census.  In the 1851 I believe the same Sarah was a pauper in the Highworth and Swindon Workhouse.  In the 1861 census she was a servant in High Street Swindon which would tie in with her marrying in the Highworth reg district.

I believe William Bathe's father to have been Joseph Bathe bpt 1799 in Wroughton and his mother to have been Mary Buckland b abt 1806.

I am unfamiliar with Wroughton/Elcombe and surrounds and have been confused by my ancestors who seemed to swap nearby parishes in the BMDs and censuses.  The Bathes seem to have moved into the surrounding area but each generation kept naming their children after grandparents.  It's been a nightmare to untangle and I have to admit I had decided to give them a rest.  Perhaps a fresh eye will help unscramble the families. I am also inclined to believe there were two main branches of the Bathes; one wealthy and the other not.  I'm descended from the latter!

I should be grateful for a contact address for your school friend if you have one so that I can write direct to her.  I have absolutely no information about my grandmother and her family.  She was dead before I was born and my father never talked of his parents.  Unfortunately I only have one living cousin from this side of my family and she is unable to provide any information.

Thank you for taking the trouble to post a message for me.  I look forward to hearing from you.

Best wishes.

imt

Gloucestershire: Bathe, Brown, Cowley, Foster, Isaacs,Keey
Somerset: Brown
Wiltshire: Bathe
Yorkshire: Foster

Offline Tantan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 16 July 07 17:31 BST (UK) »
Hi IMT
  I should have said I lived NEAR there as a lad!!
From what you have said I guess that you have found Joseph & Mary Bathe on the census in 1841 and onwards. Their son William is aged 7 at that census. Two of their children Anne & Esther Bathe feature in a book about Basset Down where I grew up. The book is titled "Basset Down an old Country House, by Mary Arnold- Forster and it was published by Country Life in about 1950. I have a copy but have also seen copies in old bookshops. You would almost certainly find it interesting, although they only crop up at the back of the book on a couple of pages.
  I can't put you in touch immediately with Patsy because she lives in Australia, but I hope to have contact details for you shortly. I don't know if there is a connection from her to the Elcombe family, but seeing that Elcombe is only about 2 miles away chances are good.
   From what I can see there were Bathe families in many of the surrounding villages, including Broad Town. Will be in touch when I have more info.
Regards
Tantan

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 16 July 07 17:38 BST (UK) »
imt
Why not get your grandmother Martha Bathes birth cert?

That would confirm who her parents are (your post sounds as if you are not 100% sure) and would also confirm her mum's maiden name (would make confirmmig the Sarah Bathe/William Bathe marriage easier)

Maybe I have missed something, but I would have thought this was mandatory before even trying to go back a generation!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 16 July 07 17:50 BST (UK) »
the details are:

JAn/Feb/Mar 1870 Martha Bathe Highwoth reg District ref 5a 23

There must have been at least 3 families producing children in the same reg district at the same time, as in 1870 there are also:

Jan/Feb/MAr Sarah Jane ref 5a 27
Jul/Aug/Sep Frederick William 5a 12
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 16 July 07 18:03 BST (UK) »
I guess you have her, age 11, in 1881with her parents William and Sarah, and her siblings Robert 15 Thomas 15 Fred 13 Mary Ann 8 and George 5

If you just key in Bathe and Wroughton, or Highworth, on the 1881 you can piece together other families in the area.
I guess they all link up a generation or two (or three... or four....) back!

I think your trip to the records ofice will be great fun!
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline imt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 July 07 19:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks Tantan.  I am delighted that I may soon be able to write to a ? distant relation.  The book sounds interesting too.  I've been in touch with Wroughton Local History Group and purchased one of their books which mentions various Bathe family members. It gives me a good insight into the lives of my predecessors (some of whom incidentally lived in an area called Sodom!) and perhaps the reason my grandmother left to seek work in Bristol.

Thanks also, Lizdb.  Point taken - I agree that I must send off for a certificate to confirm my findings re my grandmother's parents.  Unfortunately visiting the Wilts RO is not possible and I have to do most of my research on the net.  I have access to Ancestry and have printed off all the Bathes mentioned in the 1841-1901 censuses inc who were born/living in Wiltshire.  I have linked up as many as I can into family groups and I'm hoping to progress from there.

I appreciate the assistance give by both of you.

Best wishes.

imt

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 16 July 07 20:20 BST (UK) »
.....sorry, I thought you mentioned you were going to visit a records office! But, looking back that was Bristol you mentioned. I (wrongly?) assumed that was where the parish records for that neck of the woods were.

The Bathe/Bathe marriage cert would also be useful. If Martha's birth cert gives her mum's maiden name as other than Bathe, then it could be that Sarah was married twice, firstly to an 'X' Bathe and then to William who more likely than not was related to first hubby.

If that were the case, of course, children if any of her first marriage (step children to William ) would also be Bathes.

Just surmising at this point - but I would definitely recommend getting some certs to establish the facts before going back a generation.
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

Offline imt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 08:13 BST (UK) »
Hello again

Thanks again for your suggestions.  I'll be on the case shortly.

imt

Offline Tantan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 01 August 07 09:02 BST (UK) »
Hi IMT
   I'm afraid that there is no interest from my Bathe schoolfriend in Australia, but she does have a brother here who I may get to here from - she has passed my address to him. I will get back to you if I get anything more.
Best Wishes
Tantan