Author Topic: BATHE family = confusion!  (Read 22671 times)

Offline imt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BATHE family = confusion!
« Reply #27 on: Friday 25 January 08 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Toby.  You are right I have been saving any stray Bathe info that I come across.  I can live in hope that someday I shall find missing pieces in the jigsaw which will link these "odd bods" together.  Unfortunately my husband has just come out of hospital so I'm not currently able to spend time on research.

Thanks again.

imt
Gloucestershire: Bathe, Brown, Cowley, Foster, Isaacs,Keey
Somerset: Brown
Wiltshire: Bathe
Yorkshire: Foster

Offline Peter Bathe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 09 December 08 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi "imt"

Your last post on this thread said your husband was just out of hospital - I hope he is now fully recovered

But back to your first post - researching the Bathe family of the Wroughton/Elcombe area ... well, I'm a Bathe whose GGGrandfather came from Wroughton in 1840 to become a Metropolitan policeman. He married and had his family in south east London. However two of his sons returned to Wroughton/Swindon area to work as engineers (probably with GWR).

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find out too much about the Wiltshire side of the family before the move to London. My GGGrandfather was William Bathe born about 1817 in Wroughton, and his father was also William who was a gardener according to his son's wedding certificate. Who his mother was is not clear but IGI suggests her name was Patience.

Do let me know if you are still researching this family and perhaps we can exchange some more info

Offline imt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 10 December 08 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Siegebatteries

Sorry for the delay in replying.  My husband is indeed well again but unfortunately I've been confined to bed for the last 3 and a half weeks with a virus which turned into pneumonia and pleurisy.  As you can imagine, I'm not up to much at the moment but will be in touch.  From memory we may be distantly related but I need to look closely at my tree and other info before giving you any info.

Happy Christmas.

imt

Offline imt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 01 January 09 15:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello again siegebatteries.

I'm now fully recovered from the lurgy and back to spending some time on family research.  I should not have relied on my memory, however!  We probably are very vaguely related but I can't find a link as yet.  I'm not sure where you are based but my husband and I did visit Wroughton last year - during a period when we were both in good health.  Have to say that I was disappointed as the original village has been swamped by commuterland housing estates.  I did manage to find the area in which my ancestors lived in both Wroughton and Elcombe (a hamlet closeby).  I saw a number of Bathe gravestones in the churchyard but none that I could link up to my direct family.  You may have gathered there were the "haves" and "have nots" in the Bathe family and of course mine were in the latter category. 

I have come across a Patience and William Bathe in my searches but can't link them with my direct line.  Not sure how much research you have done on your branch, but mine all used and reused the same christian names down each twig of the family which makes it almost impossible to be certain who belonged to whom.

Happy to give you any help I can if you would like to send me a pm.  I've got the Wroughton parish registers on fiche but it's still difficult linking the families together.

imt

Offline Peter Bathe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 03 January 09 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Happy New Year!

Glad to hear you're both back to health.

We now live in SW France, so access to physical records is a bit difficult. Also we too are on the "have nots" side of the Bathe family so regular return visits are out of the question - and when we do get back to the UK it is to see descendants in Sussex and Yorkshire, not West Country ancestors!

I had a Bathe great uncle who was convinced there was "money in the family" and he wanted to find out where it was, so started doing some family history back in the 1930s. He stopped suddenly because he found a skeleton in the family cupboard - a murder, was the legend - but I have found no evidence to back that one up. However I also found that his grandmother, who did come from a relatively wealthy family (to whom my great uncle paid tribute by giving one of his sons that family name as a second Christian name) had had a daughter three years before she was married - father unknown! That, I suspect, was a much more compelling reason to stop his researches!!!

My Bathe Wiltshire connection is definitely through GGGrandfather William (b Wroughton c1817 - 5 censuses agree on that), son of William, a gardener - that's from GGGrandfather's marriage certificate.

It was my brother-in-law who came up with Patience Chivers as his mother - via IGI, so I'm not that certain about her. Now someone on Ancestry has put his mother as Martha Patience Hawkins - but there are no sources given, so, again, I'm not sure.

If either of these names appear even on the outermost twigs of your tree, it would be very interesting.

Best wishes

Peter

Offline imt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 03 January 09 15:09 GMT (UK) »
Hello Peter

Happy New Year to you and yours.

I'm slightly envious of your location!  Hope you are enjoying some much warmer weather than us at present.  Although I now live in Cornwall and today is cloudless, sunny, and breezy it's only about 3 degrees C but we are better off than the rest of the country I think.

I will look at my fiches for Wroughton to see if I can find the marriage of William Bathe to a Patience and let you know the result.  My fiche reader is stored in the garage as it's seldom used so I'll need to get my husband to retrieve it!

Best wishes.

imt

Offline toby webb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 03 January 09 21:59 GMT (UK) »
As I understand it, that's what husbands are for.
Happy new year all,
Toby.

Offline imt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 09 January 09 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Hello again Peter

After defrosting the fiche reader here are the results of my searches:

I found a baptism for a William Bathe on 10 Aug 1817 in the Wroughton parish transcripts.  He was noted as the son of William and Patience Bathe.  Father William was noted as a labourer.

There were also 2 possible baptisms for a William Senior:

(A) 1768 29 April, son of Anthony and Elizabeth.  This particular Willliam was buried on 11 June 1799 at Wroughton Church.  If this is your man then he was from the moneyed side of the Bathes who lived in Purton and even have memorial stained glass windows in Purton church.  Some of this branch moved to Wroughton at a later date.

or

(B) 1783 1st June, son of John and Mary.  This William was buried on 4 Feb 1831 at Wroughton Church.

If you choose Option B, then it is likely that we are very distantly related.  I have found a marriage for a John Bathe and Mary Green 10 Oct 1778, witnesses Samuel Austin and Mary Rogers (via the Bath/Bathe one name studies records).  They were both noted as of the parish of Wroughton.  They went on to have 10 children, the ninth of whom was my 2 x g grandfather.  Your William bapt 1782 was their second child.

According to the Nimrod Marriage Index (Wilts) William Bathe married Patience on 3 November 1808 (witnesses Robert Bathe and John Austin).  Unfortunately I don't have Patience's surname but you could write to the One Name Study for help (17 Escourt Road, Gloucester GL1 3LU, UK).  Unfortunately my fiches only have baptisms and burials.  Wiltshire FHS don't seem to have transcribed marriages as yet.

Hope all this is of some help.  I'd be pleased to have info regarding William and Patience's branch of the family. 

imt

Offline Peter Bathe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 09 January 09 22:14 GMT (UK) »
imt

That's marvellous!

Obviously William senior is not from the moneyed side as, although I've heard of fathers with posthumous children, 18 years is a bit much !

But the one who died in 1831 could well be my GGGGrandfather and thus we are very distantly related.

I shall certainly try the One Name Study Group for more.

Your help is much appreciated. Being so far from all sources, I have almost given up going back up the tree and have been putting leaves on all the twigs lower down, such as sort out various great uncles' WW1 service records.

We seem to have had all your cold weather come down here now - snow and temperatures of -5C - but at last the thaw has come

If you need anything from our branch, please let me know

Peter