Author Topic: SULLIVANS in Lambeth  (Read 850 times)

Offline cad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
SULLIVANS in Lambeth
« on: Tuesday 03 July 07 14:55 BST (UK) »
I have been researching my father's family and have gathered most of his Victorian ancestors but have hit a brick wall with his maternal grandmother Ethel Sullivan. I have her marriage certificate...St Georges Catholic Cathedral, Southwark, 18th Nov 1917. Benjamin Stafford Binden, 25, Batchelor, messenger at War Office, address 10 Belvedere Cresent Lambeth, his father was Benjamin Tilt Binden, foreman at India Store. Bride... Ethel Sullivan, 18, Spinster, cashier at provision merchants, address 55 Newport Street Lambeth Walk, her Father was John Sullivan, Lighterman (journeyman).
I have been unable to trace Ethel's birth, though have found a John Sullivan aged 19, Lighterman in the 1881 census, I can't be certain it's my jack!
My grandmother said John had circumnavigated the globe (whilst in the navy) and been a bareknuckle boxer. On one occasion he fell in the Thames and was reported drowned but turned up some time later having swum to safety. She also kept a copy of the baptism record of Margaret Tracey born to William Tracey and Theresa Forbes in the parish of Rhode, Offaly 22nd May 1864. We assume that this is her Grandmother and the wife of John Sullivan though I have got not been able to confirm this.
Does anyone out there have a Baptism record for Ethel Sullivan which would reveal her Mother's name or access to the Lighterman records?
Wiltshire,Somerset : Cainey, Summers, Payne, Wallis,
Wales: Pugh, Watkins, Williams, Edwards,
London: Binden, Sullivan, Tickner, Tilt
Ireland: Tracey, Sullivan, Dalton

Offline Reyz

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: SULLIVANS in Lambeth
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hi
Re Lighterman John SULLIVAN

There is one John who did a Lightermans apprenticeship (binding) older than normal.  (Normal age 14)

SULLIVAN John Dennis  -  born 22 Feb 1882
Started binding at Rotherhithe:  11 Feb 1902  -  Master John WRIGHT  -  Finished apprenticeship/binding: 13 Oct 1910

Then two more who should have been aged 14 when they started their bindings  :

SULLIVAN John started binding: July 11 1893 at LAMBETH to Edward LYONS - finished :13 Aug 1895

SULLIVAN John started binding: 9 Mar 1909 at STROOD to Daniel BULL - finished: 12 Oct 1911

Only get the date of birth on the overaged boys unfortunately.  :)

Sometimes the Masters were related as Lightermen often married into each others family's.

Good luck.
Reyz
Essex  :  Lodge Wheal
London UK : Bird Bogg (Lightermen) Brittle, Chamberlane. Perry Spencer.
Forest of Dean Gloucestershire  :  Smith.
Herefordshire : Hope  Price  Protheroe
Somerset  :  Hughes  Lippiatt
South Wales UK :  Blaenavon and Brynmawr -  Hughes Smith
Merthyr Tydfil : Hope  Lloyd  Long Protheroe 
Census information is Crown Copyright from  www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline Sylviaann

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Isabella Barette
    • View Profile
Re: SULLIVANS in Lambeth
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 17:32 BST (UK) »
There is a marriage for Margaret Treacy on freebmd http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/
One of the husbands is John Sullivan  It is September quarter 1897 St Saviour 1d 365

There are several births for Ethel Sullivan in the area, one in June 1897 and an Ethel Blanch September 1900.

You should check for yourself.  Our ancestors couldn't spell very well and Margaret may have had an accent when she told the registrar her name.

What you need is to find any of them in the 1901 census.
Someone on here may be able to do a lookup for you.  If they don't within a few days then ask for a lookup.

Sylviaann
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Norfolk: Gooch, Loveday, Lake, Betts
Suffolk: Gooch, Crosby, Turner
Hampshire: Laws, Burrows
Kent: Beer
Jersey: Barette, de Gruchy
East London: Middleton, Gower, O'Farrell, Smith, Weston

Offline cad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: SULLIVANS in Lam
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 13:44 BST (UK) »
At St Georges Catholic Church, Southwark 2nd August 1897,
 John Sullivan 32 years, lighterman of 5 Critcheley street, York Road, son of James Sullivan (deceased) a deal porter
Margaret Treacy, 28 years, of the same address, daughter of William Treacy (deceased) a farmer.
Looks like Margaret lied about her age!
I've tracked down James and his family in the 1881 census living at 59 Cornwall Road, Lambeth. John is 19 and a general labourer, not an apprentice lighterman as I'd expected... should I read anything into this?
Wiltshire,Somerset : Cainey, Summers, Payne, Wallis,
Wales: Pugh, Watkins, Williams, Edwards,
London: Binden, Sullivan, Tickner, Tilt
Ireland: Tracey, Sullivan, Dalton