Author Topic: Lymore hall  (Read 4960 times)

Offline pigginnut

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Lymore hall
« on: Tuesday 03 July 07 23:12 BST (UK) »
Please could someone help me find who were living at Lymore Hall on census please particularly of interest are 1901 and 1891 but any census info on the Hall would be appreciated.

There is a connection to the Hall with the family  tree I am doing but we can't find what it is

We have two photographs, one of them shows Lymore Hall with the Lake and ducks swimming.  This picture can also be seen on the internet. On the back of my friends copy are the following words: (exactly)

“Dear Maggie, Just a line to wish you a joyous and very happy xmas and new year, and thank you very much for your kind thoughts for the children.   With love from all. Annie.”

http://www.gtj.org.uk/en/item1/24730

Another picture was sent to Maggie of 3 women (they look like a mother aged about 35ish and two daughters aged about 14 and 8 years old.  On the back of the photograph are these words (exactly)

“To Auntie Maggie with love and best Christmas wishes from all at Lymore (no name or date was given)

We are hoping the census may help with a few names - my friends Father born 1903  visited the Hall as a child and said that the family had connections there but whether it was by work or family connection we do not know

Can anyone help

Teresa

Online Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lymore hall
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 10:15 BST (UK) »
If you google 'Lymore Hall Montgomery' it gives some info on gathering the jewels etc. 

There is a photograph 1909 with Prince of Wales and Lord Powis shooting party, there are other photographs of the house.  Some info says That Lord Powis owned the house (This was the Herbert family) but they lived at Powis Castle, if I have it right.

1881 address search there are a lot of cottages within the land area as well. called Lymore cottage, Little lymore etc

HTH

Cas
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 July 07 13:01 BST (UK) »
There's also this: http://www.lymore-estate.co.uk/index.htm

Can you give us an idea of surnames please?  It would certainly help narrow things down. 

1881 address search there are a lot of cottages within the land area as well. called Lymore cottage, Little lymore etc

It appears to be the same in the 1901 aswell ;)
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline Lysander

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 August 07 21:45 BST (UK) »
My great grandfather, Thomas Howard, lived at Lymore Farm.

I have a photograph of the Prince and Princess of Wales at Lymore with many others including Lord Clive; the Earl of Powis; Col. Edward Herbert and the Duke and Duchess of Devonshire amongst others.  Is this the 1909 photograph that you mention Cas?

James

Offline Natterjack60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 27 June 15 22:21 BST (UK) »
I found this message you left, ages ago it seems, but I do know the answers to some of your questions, Annie was my Maternal Great Grandmother and was married to Thomas Howard, the young girls in the photo will be her eldest girls May (my Grandmother) and Frances, there were two more children Edith and George who was the youngest. They lived at Lymore Hall in the farmhouse that was attached to the empty Hall, the farmhouse I believe still stands, but now looks very different. Annie's maiden name was Tomley. Edith married one of the architects that was involved with the taking down of Lymore Hall. I have some gorgeous photo's of Annie on my wall in my cottage, when she was a very young girl and some when she was a beautiful young woman, she was, I am told a lovely kind lady and lived to a grand old age.

Offline Lysander

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 29 June 15 00:24 BST (UK) »
Hi there.

Yes, George was my Grandfather, and I remember Frances and Edith, who lived down in Surrey as long as I can remember.

I was with Mum today and she said May was quite a lot older than George and moved over Nottinghamshire way?

James

Offline Natterjack60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 29 June 15 00:42 BST (UK) »
Hello James now I know who you are, I met you at Great Uncle George's house when he was at The Kennels on the Dukes Estate, you were just a little boy, I'm Frances Hallam, Mary's Daughter her Mum and your Mum Ann are cousins. I've been trying to do a little on the Howard Family tree but so far I have only got back to Great Grandfather Thomas, I did notice though there was an older son before Grandma was born also called Thomas, but I have never heard anyone mention him ever, I wondered what happened to him, I wondered if he was maybe in the first world war, I wonder if you or your Mum knows. We now live at Swinderby in Lincolnshire, my Dad lives with me, we lost my Mum 10 years ago. Lovely to hear from you, I have a fascination for Lymore Hall I wish it was still there to see, but the stories Grandma used to tell me was enough to feed my imagination. Thank you for answering x Fran