Author Topic: Bedfordshire Armstrongs  (Read 3086 times)

Online castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bedfordshire Armstrongs
« on: Wednesday 04 July 07 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hello All,
My Armstrong ancestors were in Bedfordshire in the  late 1690's . We were always told of our Reiver roots, but I can't make the connection.
Does anyone have any similar links? I do know of a branch in Beds which came to the area via Stonestown, Ireland (& then back to the Border etc), however they were of well-to-do military stock, whereas mine were Ag Labs! Any ideas?
One of my Armstrongs in Beds wed a Christian(a) Fiddes(s) in the county in 1766. Her age shows she fitted perfectly with a girl of the name in Maxton, Rox, but again, I can't prove it.
Thanks for any help,
Bob
Armstrongs of   Bedfordshire, England & Canonbie ,Scotland

Offline Chris Colley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Bristol exile and Rovers fan from afar. Other interests: wine, beer, and food.
    • View Profile
Re: Bedfordshire Armstrongs
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 January 20 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bob,

My mother was a Fiddes and her grandfather was born in Bristol, where his extended family were gas engineers, descended from an Andrew Fiddes who came to Bristol from (I think) Kelso, Roxburghshire (via Wingerworth in Derbyshire where he wed). It appears he was baptised a Catholic when he arrived in Bristol (1805) at the age of 45 (born Aug 1762). His baptism states he was the son of Gabriel Fiddes and Joanna Stevenson but I can't find any trace of them in Roxburghshire. I was wondering if you had stumbled upon them in the course of your research?

Online castlebob

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bedfordshire Armstrongs
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 January 20 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello Chris,
The intervening years since my post in 2007 have been hugely informative. I admin an Armstrong Y-DNA project and we have managed to get links back to the 1500s - just north of the Scottish Border. There was a Beds-Derbyshire link re the families that I have researched, but they were Armstrongs from a different part of the county.
Sadly, I have made no progress re the Fiddes link, but will search the names you mentioned.
Cheers,
Bob
Armstrongs of   Bedfordshire, England & Canonbie ,Scotland