Author Topic: James Kerr, Clones, Monaghan  (Read 3778 times)

Offline thebanshee

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
James Kerr, Clones, Monaghan
« on: Wednesday 04 July 07 23:47 BST (UK) »
Hya,

I have been looking for a James Kerr from Co Monaghan - on the 1851,1861 and 1871 Scottish census he is listed as living in Glasgow with wife Margaret, (sometimes known as Ellen, Phillips).  They have several children.  On each census he puts his place of birth as Monaghan, Ireland and his date of birth around 1822/24.

I checked the IGI on family search and up popped what I think could be my ggggrandfather - born in Clones in 1822 - the next James Kerr to be born in Monaghan around this time was in 1829 - anyway, I need to see if there is anyone else who perhaps recognise the name and/or the lady he married, (named on his daughters death and marriage certificate) - I know he was listed as deceased in 1879, however I cannot find a death certificate for him on Scotlands People - I know his son was listed as living in Glasgow too but he got married in Scotstown, Monaghan - so I don't know if this could be relevant as well, (perhaps home town of Ma)!

On two documents she is listed as Margaret Phillips but on one she is listed as Ellen Phillips?!?

If anyone thinks they could help me please contact me asap.

PS He is listed on two documents as being a Mason Journeyman and on one as an Ag Labourer.

Offline nenny4

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: James Kerr, Clones, Monaghan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 August 07 21:59 BST (UK) »
My ancestors too came from  Clones Monaghan-Glasgow could not locate grt grandfather as he returned to Ireland took ill and died..contacted the Mitchell (Glasgow) via email they were very helpful found out through them that his wife had applied for poor relief a few years after his death and they came up with his place of death and date..worth a try cheers nenny4
Marshall / Thaw / Gowan from Livingston and Kirknewton areas West Lothian  Scotland..... Lough Families Clones Ireland and Glasgow Scotland and U.S.A........ Mckenzie /Glencoe Scotland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Kerr, Clones, Monaghan
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 August 07 00:54 BST (UK) »
I checked the IGI on family search and up popped what I think could be my ggggrandfather - born in Clones in 1822 - the next James Kerr to be born in Monaghan around this time was in 1829 -

The IGI is not complete so you cannot assume that either James Kerr is the one you are looking for as dozens of James Kerrs could have been born in Co. Monaghan around the 1820s.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Polly Lynn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Harrison
    • View Profile
Re: James Kerr and Phillips, Clones, Monaghan
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 September 16 14:31 BST (UK) »
I have two women named Phillips who married Harrison men of County Monaghan, so it seems Phillips is a name used in County Monaghan.  They were Presbyterian.
Harrison