Author Topic: links to Alexander's & Armstrong's  (Read 38380 times)

Offline laterunner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
links to Alexander's & Armstrong's
« on: Friday 06 July 07 12:29 BST (UK) »
(This is mainly part of a letter from Kate probably my great aunt-sister to my grandfather John Armstrong Alexander.)
Written      from  47 Tavistock St. Bedford.    6/7/1900   To Alice.

((  )) =  My additions
Capt. Thomas Armstrong (Am) supposed to be a younger brother of Sir Thomas Am. (Judge Jeffries victim) settled in Tipperary, at the old Castle of Farney Bridge, near Thurles, Co.Tipperary.(Tipp.) soon after the battle of Worchester (some say in 1660) He was a Capt. Of a troop of horse attached to the Tipperary Militia in 1688.
 He  married Alice dr.of Sir Thomas Deane of Clare Co. Suffolk.
 His eldest son John married (M) Julianna, dr, of Robert Carew Esq. of Ballyboro Co. Wexford, (( Born 1640? D. 1706/7))
 from him came the A’s of Mount Heaton King’s County, now represented by Mr. Macdonnell Am. Co. Clare.

Capt.Thomas Am’s 2nd son, Thomas, B. (1671) of Meanliffe (now Moyaliff, Co. Tipp., M. Mary dr.  of Robert Carew Esq of Ballinamona Co. Wexford;
 he had 7 sons & 6 drs., from his eldest son came the Am’s 
of Meanliffe Hall, Thurles  Co. Tipp. Thomas Am. was High Sheriff of Tipp. In the reign of Queen Anne  ((  1702- 1714))  He died in 1747. One of his sons must ((???)) have been the
 Rev. Robert Carew Am. ((B. 1709?)) for 30 yrs Curate & for 27 yrs Rector of ((Shinrone or Shinrose)) in Kings Co., he was blind for some yrs. Before his death, owing to have been struck by lightning, but took the services at church every Sun. from memory, he died 18/1/1790 aged 80 yrs.
   He M. Jane dr. of Anthony Atkinson Esq. of Congart ( this A. Atkinson M. in 1709 Mary dr. of Admiral John Guy celebrated as having ‘’ relieved Derry, raising the boom’’ .
   Jane A. (Nee Atkinson))  died 23/1/1763.
 Rev. Robert Carew Am. & Jane had  4 sons. Thomas M Francis Wheller- 1771 of Ballywire, Tipp.
John born in 1751 ((Twins ??)) ,
Guy  ((M. Margaret Williams ??)) & Anthony  (( Had Lancelot Carew ??)),
 also 4 dr’s. Mary M. to Hugh Wray Esq. of Birr;       Mrs Smyth:    Mrs Ellard( M. to a clergyman); Alicia D. unmarried )
                                 Thomas had 3 sons Thomas, Frank & John.
The descendants of Thomas & John who both married miss Massey’s, & are in Canada & the U.S. their father having been extravagant & his brother John was impoverished by having rashly signed his name to a promissory bill for him.(( ????? ))
Frank Am. Was an officer in the Army & served throughout the Peninsular War (( 1808-14)) without a wound. He settled in Jersey & M. as late as 1874. He was living, & still able to walk out with the dogs.                    (( of little interest->>))
( Uncle Nicholas met a grandson of his in Athens, by the name of de Quetteville, who stayed once at Albury, & on another occasion was there for a day with his mother) This M. de Quetteville died early from consumption & sight of the connection was lost again; escapt((???????)) to hear, incidentally though another relation in 1874 of old Capt. T.Armstrong still being alive & active. He was one of Uncle Nicholas’s heroes, in his boyish days.

John Am. ( Son of Robert C. & Jane Am.)  M. Frances dr. of Thomas Doolan of Portumna, Galway. Whose wife was Anna Maria Tidd.
  Francis Doolan was only 16 on her marriage with J. Am. In 1773 She died in 1844 aged 87. B. 1864.her husband John.Am. died Dec. 1826 age 75 . B.1751
They left many sons. 1) Robert, who M. badly, for the 2nd time, he left a family & has descendents, but they have quite fallen from the position that their grandfather was born in, & which, had he been steady, he would, have been well continued in. 2) Thomas ( our grandfather ((To Kate & J.A.A. my g.father ???))  )  was an excellent man; he was at the battle of Talavern; but caught a fever directly afterwards & was compelled in consequence of it’s effect upon his health, to leave the army: he died, before his time. Of fever, he  M.15/1/1856.  Catherinne Carroll of a good Co. Galway family. His money went in the failure of a bank. 3) Nicholas was the youngest but one of J.Am’s large family.
 (( 5 Carroll’s - Ed. X 2, Pat. x 2 & Thomas of Cool & Ballyglass,
 Ahascroghmore in Ballincloon. A lot more  in –Griffiths.  Kate continues->>))
    Therefore also , Richard, Guy, Edward, William!!!!, Henry, (who died young): Guy Am.
Was a ‘’man among men’’ (as you know we heard much of him from mother. He M. Jane dr. of his uncle Guy. They had no family. Mr. Williams mother  was sister of this Jane.
N.B. I have been looking up the various surnames of the families with whom the Am.’s
Intermarried & find them all mentioned in O.Harts ‘’Irish Pedigrees’’ (( Can’t find it anywhere)) which I got a loan of. I shall now endeavour to have the Alexander side of the family. You know they were connected with the Carrolls.
                        Kate.
The above sketch (( She continues->))  is copied almost word for word from that which Cousin Francis sent me .     Kate.         

Alexander's. & Armstrong's  Ireland

Bloomfield's as well in UKI'm looking for the
 Alexanders  of Galway. Ballinasloe  & elsewhere,   any others connected with
William A. of Dublin B.30/06/1826.D7 or 17/01/1892.
 His Wife Frances Geraldine (Armstrong)  B.Loughrea? 10/12/1824?5 D.05/08/1882. 
William's  father was Thomas  who married Ann Carroll before ? 1823

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: links to Alexander's & Armstrong's
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 July 07 15:42 BST (UK) »
I am familiar with the Armstrongs of Mealiffe (Never seen it spelled Meanliffe) now spelt Moyaliffe. They dwindled away after Capt Kemmis from Wicklow married an Armstrong Lady and the male line died out. The last of the Armstrongs belongings were removed about 8 years ago when Moyaliffe House was sold to John Stakelum. Three truckloads of their stuff went to South Africa where the last of the Armstrongs now live except the ones in Florida.
Captain William Pat Armstrong, son of Beresford Armstrong was Killed in Arras in 1917 when he was with the British Army, 10th Huzzars.
Regards.
 Tom.

Offline laterunner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 July 07 15:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your response. All the best. Neil

Offline jb.noble

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 January 09 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Laterunner and thanks for posting the letter from "Aunt Kate".

I am descended from one of the 2 Sons of Thomas Armstrong - who both married Miss Massey's - and moved to Canada.  I am interested in sharing what I know about the family with you and would dearly love to have a copy of the letter. 

The 2 Brothers came to Canada as part of an Irish settlement program run by a Canadian MP named Peter Robinson.  Not Thomas, but Robert Carew Armstrong and wife Margaret Anne Massey came with around 500 settlers in 1823 to the area that became the Canadian Capital, Ottawa. Brother John and wife Eliza Massey came in 1825 with some 2,500 settlers.  They settled an area about 150 miles away which later became Peterborough, in honour of the MP who organized the settlement. 

Both families prospered and I know of at least one other cousin who joined them later as Robert's daughter Frances married a second Robert Carew Armstrong.

Can you let me know if you are still an active rootschat member?

Best regards,

John.

Offline laterunner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 January 09 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Johnncan  ??? yes

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 30 January 09 06:56 GMT (UK) »
old Castle of Farney Bridge, near Thurles, Co.Tipperary.(Tipp.)  is called Farney Castle and Cyril Cullen ( a nice guy) owns it now. Its called Farney because the Farney river is beside it and Farney means elder trees. Lots of Irish rivers are named after flora. The Castle is in between Holycross and Ballycahill. I have been in it a few times. Cyril's daughters sing an play Harps and play all over the world.
Have a look at it here;
http://www.tipp.ie/placesofinterest/farney.htm

Regards.
 Tom.

Offline laterunner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 30 January 09 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Enfield  thanks for that.

Anything else known of the family Armstrong.?>n

Offline Doris L C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 02 March 09 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi John

I think we may be cousins.  In doing some research for an upcoming trip to Ireland, I came across your post regarding Robert Carew Armstrong and Margaret Ann.  I had always wondered why and when my ancestors came to Canada.  Robert's granddaughter, Harriet was my great grandmother.  She married George Ryan and settled in the Vancouver area many years later.  Their daughter was my grandmother who called two countries home -- Canada and the U.S.   I was born in California and after 76 years am still here. 

Thanks for the valuable information which I will soon share with my brother and cousins.  My grandmother always talked about her ancestor, Lord Massy, who lived in Ireland but never talked about the Armstrong family. 

Doris

Offline jb.noble

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 15:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Doris.  It is a pleasure to meet you.  I've been quite lucky in filling out our Armstrong / Massy tree with help from Laterunner - who started this excellent post - and 2 other descendants I found through the Internet.  Together, we can probably help you fill out your ancestor tree and maybe even suggest some area you'll want to visit in Ireland. 

Please feel free to email me at:

(*) 

Just replace the " xxx " with @ in your email to me. 

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php