Author Topic: links to Alexander's & Armstrong's  (Read 38226 times)

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: links to Alexander's & Armstrong's
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 25 April 09 23:14 BST (UK) »
Here it is, enjoy;
                              The Moyaliffe/Gallipoli Oaks

As part of  my on-going research of Captain Armstrong and his life it was time to find the Moyaliffe/Gallipoli oaks that is if they existed at all.
        In a small wooden box in the Museum there are beech nuts and acorns. On the lid it states that they were sent back from Gallipoli by Staff Captain William Maurice ‘Pat’ Armstrong   in 1916. The Gallipoli disaster ended in 1915.

If the statement is true i.e. that they were sent back in 1916, then perhaps the writer meant that they were received in 1916. I had heard that some of the acorns were propagated and grown into Oak trees ( and Beech?) on the lands belonging to the Armstrong family in Moyaliffe. I decided to investigate. I asked permission from Mrs Stakelum ( The present owner) to search the lands for  the trees and she graciously agreed.

On the 10th of December 2000 I went searching for these elusive oak trees and eventually located them outside the walls of the orchard. The area they were in was being used by the construction team as a dump/bonfire area. There was only one oak tree that I could measure as the base of the others were buried under rubble and rubbish. I did the accepted test to assess the age of the trees without cutting one down. I measured up a yard from the base and then measured the diameter there. It was 83 inches. One inch being approximately one year gave me a ballpark age of 83 years. It is 85 years since the rout at Gallipoli. I therefore suggest that these oak trees outside of the walls of the orchard are the ones grown from the Gallipoli acorns.
They are beautiful trees even in wintertime and I felt privileged just  to stand beside them for a brief  period.

Tom Burnell.

Offline Katherine Zeta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 27 April 09 21:36 BST (UK) »
Dearest Tom,

You are truly amazing, what an incredible story and for you to prove it true, you are a man after my own heart.

So if I come over in late September and pick some acorns and bring them back to Sussex and grow some oak trees of my own, then it would but truly perpetuating his will. It rather shows what sort of man he was in doing such a thing in the midst of such brutality and carnage.

Such a meaning full gesture, God Bless him and thank you

yours Katherine

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 27 April 09 21:58 BST (UK) »
Glad to help.
 Regards.
 Tom.

Offline Bigbros

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 10:57 BST (UK) »
I have noticed your connections to Francis Wheeler of Ballywire. Have any of you traced back the ancestors of Francis Wheeler.
Currently it is my belief that  Francis Massey Wheeler who married Anna Doyle who was the son of Francis Wheeler who married Elizabeth Arthur who was the son of Francis Wheeler who married Elizabeth Massey
This is where it gets a bit sketchy
This Francis wheeler was posssibly the son of Oliver Wheeler and Martha Baker (When Oliver died Martha remarried Joseph Cuffe)
Oliver Wheeler would have been the son of Francis Wheeler who married Maria Tighe who was son of Oliver Wheeler who married Elizabeth Weldon who was son of Dr Jonah Wheeler Bishop of Ossory who died in 1640.
Martha Baker was either the daughter or grand daughter of Walter Baker of Ballywire which is where The Wheeler family possibly came to posses Ballywire.

Anybody know if this is correct.

What i am really trying to track down is whether there is a link into my Dublin based Wheeler family.
I am related to the Rev George Bomfforde Wheeler born in 1805 who was the 2nd editor of the Irish Times, 3 weeks after its foundation. He was originally called George Baker Wheeler but later changed his name. He also probably had a brother a William James Cuffe Wheeler. The Cuffe and Baker names would tend to indicate a link to this family. The Bomford's were also a prominent Tipperary family who married into the Massy family at one stage.

All help would be greatly appreciated.

Out of interest there is also a book in our family written by a Sir George Wheler in about 1680 regarding his travels in Greece. This book was first signed in 1732 by a Jacob Wheeler, then subsequently by a George Wheeler, James Wheeler and then the Rev George Bomfforde Wheeler.
I have not been able to find any link to the Wheler family which has an extensive pedigree

Offline Bigbros

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 11:30 BST (UK) »
from previous post i am hoping to find the tie-in to the rev oliver wheeler who married Martha Baker.
I found an internet reference which suggested that they had children Francis Wheeler and Oliver Wheeler, Elinor and Margaret Wheeler who married Edward Fennell

Offline Bigbros

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 11:31 BST (UK) »
this post can be ignored - sending third post so can be pm'd

Offline jb.noble

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 20:57 BST (UK) »
Got your PM and will reply as soon as I am done posting this.

Just thought I should post in case any subsequent readers stumble on the post in search of Francis Wheeler.  Yes, I believe Francis is from Rev. Oliver Wheeler and Martha Baker.  I trade emails frequently with a cousin who is particularly adept at research through Gooble Books - we'll link her into an email conversation and see if we can help with your missing link to the family.

"Talk" Soon.

John.

Offline laterunner

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 12 November 09 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have info. on any Carroll line

& other

Irish- Alexanders or Armstrongs????
Alexander's. & Armstrong's  Ireland

Bloomfield's as well in UKI'm looking for the
 Alexanders  of Galway. Ballinasloe  & elsewhere,   any others connected with
William A. of Dublin B.30/06/1826.D7 or 17/01/1892.
 His Wife Frances Geraldine (Armstrong)  B.Loughrea? 10/12/1824?5 D.05/08/1882. 
William's  father was Thomas  who married Ann Carroll before ? 1823

Offline corisande

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • grantonline.com cairogang.com irishbrigade.eu
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 14 November 09 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Everyone has a different angle on the Armstrongs on this thread. Here is mine - my family worked for them

I have a write up on Moyaliff House here which has some photos

This page is about my family, the Grants, in the area, and there are links and info on the history of the area in the early 1800, and pages on some of the other local landlords.

Grant in Tipperary
Piper in Tipperary
Blong in Leix
Watson in Offaly
Pugh in North Wales
Evans in North Wales
Proctor in Edinburgh
Steedman in Stirling