Author Topic: links to Alexander's & Armstrong's  (Read 38223 times)

Offline Doris L C

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: links to Alexander's & Armstrong's
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 17:19 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for responding to my post.  I have a ton of questions but will start with this:  How are you related to the Armstrong/Massy family?  And, do you reside in Canada? 

Our line is pretty limited as Harriet Armstrong (my gr. grandmother) had only one child who lived to adulthood.  That was my grandmother Frances (Fanny) Ryan who had 2 children who lived to adulthood -- my mother Rita and her sister Beatrice (Birdie). 

The chance finding of you and this web site was a result of my search for Suir Castle.  While visiting Ireland 2 years ago I came across a book that chronicles the whole history of the Massy family from the origins in France to modern times.  That's where I discovered the Suir Castle. 

I'm sure you're acquainted with the book:  "If Those Trees Could Speak." by Frank Tracy.  Apparently, the Suir Castle no longer exists.  However, I would like to at least see the area upon which it stood.

I would provide my E-mail address, but it would probably be removed.  So in the meantime, I'll use this site to communicate.

Once again, thanks so very much for the information. 

Doris

Offline jb.noble

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Doris.  If I understand correctly, we're supposed to use Private Massaging, but we're not allowed to use Private Messaging since you are a new member and don't have 3 posts to your credit.  That's not very helpful!  :-X

However, this is my 3rd post and I see 2 from you.  If you reply again, that makes 3 for you and we can try out this fabulous PM to share our email addresses and be welcomed back to the 21st century technology-wise.

Some info for now:
Yes, I am Canadian.  Robert Carew and Margaret Ann (Massy) Armstrong's second daughter was Frances Ann Armstrong.  She married a second Robert Carew Armstrong (certainly a cousin, but precise relation is not known) and moved to McGillivray Township, Middlesex County, North of London Ontario.  One of their daughters, Eleanor Armstrong, married Matthew Varley and they are my GG Grandparents.

Actually, I understand Suir Castle still exists and is now owned by an organic farmer.  I found him on a search of the internet as well, I believe, he contacted one of our cousins asking for information about the family.  I understand he is researching all the families previously associated with the home (I don't think it is a "Castle" in the traditional sense).

I just received the Frank Tracy book last week and enjoyed it tremendously.  Our connection to the family didn't get much press as we are descended from the 1st Baron through the eldest son of his second marriage - since we we were outside of the direct peerage we didn't warrant much mention in the book.  However, I have lots  to share if we ever manage to make this email thing work!

John.

Offline Doris L C

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 18:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi John,   

Thanks for the additional information.  As my enthusiasm grows regarding this family search, my household chores continue to pile up.  I seem to be glued to my laptop.

After reading your message I rummaged through some papers and letters that had belonged to my mother.  Among them is a lengthy letter signed Vina.  It was from this letter that my mother and I learned the history of the Massy and Armstrong families.  It looks like Robert Carew married twice and produced 10 children, which includes 2 sons by the first wife.  It was from these sons that my g.grandmother Harriet received an inheritance.  Harriet was the 3rd daughter from the 2nd marriage.

Have you visited Farney Castle or Suir Castle?  We will only have one day to visit these places as we will be passengers on a cruise ship that will stop at Cobn (Cork) harbor.  I'm trying to reserve a car, but I'm afraid our ages will be a problem.  I'm 76, and my traveling companion is 80. 

This trip will be a sampling, and on another trip I shall plan to stay at least a week.    There is something magic about walking on the ground that our ancestors walked upon hundreds of years ago. 

Thanks again for your valuable information.

Doris   

Offline Katherine Zeta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 23 April 09 23:41 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
My name is Beresford Armstrong, my G grandfather was Marcus Beresford Armstrong Capt. of Moyaliffe Castle, His daughter Cornelia Ione Kathleen Beresford-Armstrong married Sir William Lindsay Everard, MP  JP   of Ratcliffe-on-the-Wreeke Leicestershire, where he owned an airdrome,
 Their son Patrick Anthoney William Beresford Armstrong Everard was my father, but he never married, not even my mother.

I would love to find out more about my ancestors out there. It sounds as if some of you are already in contact. I know nothing about the South Africa lot or the USA Florida crowd, any help would be fantastic.

I live on the south coast of England Pevensey Bay Sussex. I know they produced either men of the cloth or Army officers.

I would love to go back as far as possible, with this and will be delighted if any help is there.

Will visit Ireland again to see people and places, anything welcome. Pictures, photos, ect.

my given name is Diana Katherine Beresford-Everard- Bell ;D

Offline jb.noble

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 April 09 02:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Katherine.  If you are an Armstrong from Mealiffe / Moyaliffe, I am sure we are related.

I don't know if you have seen it, but Debrett's Peerage of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland (ed. 22; 1838) has a nice write-up on Beresford.  It's available on-line at http://books.google.com/books?id=Ru4UAAAAQAAJ   See pages 712 / 713 or paste the following link and you'll go direct to the Beresford page:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Ru4UAAAAQAAJ&pg=PA713&dq=beresford+armstrong&lr=&as_brr=1#PPA712,M1

The page begins with info on John Horsley-Beresford, current (in 1838) Baron Decries, of Decies, co. Waterford, but the fine print contains details around his lineage.  Most importantly, it mentions Catherine-Eleanor Beresford's marriage 11 Nov 1791 to Rev William Armstrong of Mealiffe.  I suspect that is your direct lineage.  Let me know what you think.

I can give you my email address, but Rootschat will only allow me to do so via private messaging and you need 2 more posts before I can send you that message.  So, by necessity, we'll have to trade a couple more posts here.

John.

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 24 April 09 08:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Kathleen.
 I am sure you know that all the papers that came out of Moyaliffe house was sent to the University of Limerick for indexing and as far as I know they have not even looked at the. This happened about 6 years ago when the house was sold to John Stakelum. My main interest is William (Pat) Armstong who was killed in action in Arras in 1917 while he was with the 10th Hussars.
 Regards.
 Tom.

Offline enfield

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 April 09 08:33 BST (UK) »
I think I have a letter or two of Rev Armstrong  c 1830 around here somewhere.

Offline Katherine Zeta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 April 09 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hello jb.nobel, very nice to meet you and many many thanks for the information.
Still trying to get my confused head round it all.

Found out a little more today, seems that my G G G grandfather was William Armstrong of Mealiffe and Chaffpool, his wife was Catherine, daughter of General Clark m.1888. and Rosealie Cornelia Ceely Maude.

My Grandmar was Cornelia Ione Kathleen Beresford-Armstrong later Lady Everard wife of Sir Lindsay Everard.

So where do you fit into the family, I would love to know. Would love to find relatives.

Offline Katherine Zeta

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 24 April 09 19:07 BST (UK) »
Wow Enfield,

Would love to see them, or even have a copy !!  Please tell me why your interest

in Pat, only. is he a close relative ??