Author Topic: Anthony Nicholson Ruddick Teasdale  (Read 6965 times)

Offline eramophla

• RootsChat Senior
  • Hello from Australia.
    • View Profile
Anthony Nicholson Ruddick Teasdale
« on: Saturday 07 July 07 01:02 BST (UK) »
Anthony Nicholson Ruddick was baptised on 26.6.1823 at Crosby Ravensworth, Westmorland. His parents were James Ruddick (or Ruddock) and Mary Nicholson, who were married 4.6.1813 at Crosby Ravensworth. Anthony came to South Australia in 1856 on the “FEROZEPORE” and married on 18.6.1869 in Wallaroo to Agnes Sprott Wilson (b. 1842 Ayr, Scotland). The couple had 5 children - James (b. 1870 Moonta), Margaret Grant (b. 1871 Moonta), Christina Morton (b. 1875 Moonta Mines), Mary Nicholson (b. 1876 Moonta) and Jane McDonald (b. 1878 East Moonta).

Anthony married using the last name of 'Ruddick' and all the births of the children were registered using the last name of 'Ruddick'. However, when Anthony died on 11.8.1889 at Moonta, his name is suddenly "Anthony Nicholson Ruddick Teasdale". It appears that his children also changed their surname, because suddenly they no longer use the Ruddick name and Teasdale becomes their last name in all official documents.

I am trying to determine a reason for the name change. The most reasonable idea I can think of at present is that Anthony's father died and his mother remarried someone by the name of Teasdale, or there was some scandal where it was detemined that Anthony was never a 'Ruddick' in the first place. Can someone please check to see if Mary Ruddick (nee Nicholson) remarried someone by the name of Teasdale in Westmorland?

Thanks.
Ireland- Harpur, Copeland, Longridge, Hayes
Devon- Underdown, Pennington, Cox, Bishop, Harding
Cornwall- Teague, Rowe, Long, Bray, Trounson, James, Bosanko, Jewell, Pollard, Rundle, Mutton, Hand, Floyd, Rodda
Suffolk- Mills, Bird
Essex- Mills, Kent, Ruffell
Glamorgan, Wales- Morgan, David, Jones, Thomas, Watkins, Morris

Offline karenlee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drive it like ya stole it.
    • View Profile
Re: Anthony Nicholson Ruddick Teasdale
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 July 07 01:25 BST (UK) »
Hi

Don't know if it helps, but I checked the UK census for Mary RUDDICK and found her with husband James on the 1841, 1851 and 1861 Census.  No sign of a TEASDALE with the family at any time either.

Good Luck

Karenlee
Census Information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline eramophla

• RootsChat Senior
  • Hello from Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 July 07 09:43 BST (UK) »
Well, this is a mystery then. I'm not quite sure what to look for next.
Cornwall- Teague, Rowe, Long, Bray, Trounson, James, Bosanko, Jewell, Pollard, Rundle, Mutton, Hand, Floyd, Rodda
Suffolk- Mills, Bird

Offline Jeffrey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information is Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 July 07 13:34 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Although I can not help with your problem I had just wondered if you have seen this site with the baptisms of Crosby Ravensworth on it. I use it when looking for my Nicholsons and other families there.

http://rolyg.members.beeb.net

If you have any ancestors that go back to Anthony Born 1738, Henry born 1710 or Anthony born 1685 let me know as I am decended from them.

Judy

Judy
CUMBERLAND  Armstrong Little Nixon Richardson Pearson Watson Braithwaite
WESTMORLAND  Richardson Dent Nicholson Hanson Kersey Smith Heigh
DURHAM Reed Smith Reay Hammond Metcalf Bell
Thompson Armstrong Branford Parkin Heaton Oates
NORTHUMB'LAND Nixon Johnson Armstrong Branford Thompson
DUMFRIES Armstrong Bell Halliday Little Carruthers Johnstone
YORKS Richardson Branford Siddle
ROXBURGH Jackson Elliot Armstrong Scott
FIFE Adamson Gosman Brown
AUSTRALIA Richardson Dent Hanson Kersey

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 July 07 17:42 BST (UK) »
Is it possible that a relative named Teasdale died and left money to Anthony provided he took that name?   We have had an instance of that in our family.  I would be tempted to widen your knowledge of the extended family and see if you find a Teasdale connection of any sort.
Andrea

Offline eramophla

• RootsChat Senior
  • Hello from Australia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 16 July 07 09:01 BST (UK) »
That is an option that I have considered but not pursued as yet, Andrea. Thanks for the suggestion.
Suffolk- Mills, Bird

Offline Katrina J

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 03 January 13 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Am new to this site and searching for answer to the same question. Was hoping to get in contact with eramophla but can't send personal messages yet.

Thanks,
Katrina

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 03 January 13 12:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome
They should get a notification of your response to the post but if you reply on here a couple of times that should activate the PM system.

Offline Katrina J

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 03 January 13 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Just adding to information on this topic - My grandfather was raised by Agnes Teasdale (married as Agnes Ruddick, born Agnes Wilson). Agnes was his paternal grandmother and cared for him and his older siblings when his mother became ill and died not long after he was born. The reason for the name change is a mystery to us and was a mystery to my grandfather. He only became aware of the name change when he attended to the paperwork relating to the deaths of his elderly aunt, by which time no-one was alive to shed light on the mystery.

My grandfather was the also the last 'Teasdale' in this line. His father James Ruddick Teasdale was the only son of Anthony and Agnes. James had two sons but his elder son Reginald had no descendants and my grandfather's only son died as a child.

Katrina