Author Topic: Anyone recognise this old graveyard?  (Read 8027 times)

Offline Johnnie Murchison

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone recognise this old graveyard?
« Reply #9 on: Monday 09 October 17 23:30 BST (UK) »
I recall a similar description of a disused graveyard off the beaten track which was the last resting place of many of the 'navvies' engaged in the setting up of the smelter works in Lochaber. Many of the men had no financial resources and lived a rough lifestyle and fatalities were common. BBC archives may still have documentary short on the subject.

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone recognise this old graveyard?
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 October 17 23:47 BST (UK) »
I recall a similar description of a disused graveyard off the beaten track which was the last resting place of many of the 'navvies' engaged in the setting up of the smelter works in Lochaber. Many of the men had no financial resources and lived a rough lifestyle and fatalities were common. BBC archives may still have documentary short on the subject.

I have been researching the deaths on the dams and tunnels of the Lochaber Water Power Scheme, I have over seventy names.  Not seen anything to suggest there is a missing graveyard.  There are 36 buried in Cille Choirill, most unmarked graves.  I have looked around the other graveyards in the area and not been able to spot any others.  There is a memorial in Kilmallie but I have not found anyone knows anything about it.  Quite a number were returned home for burial.

You could try and retrace your route on the maps.  PASTMAP give very large scale modern maps and you can over markers of records on Canmore and the Highland HER
http://pastmap.org.uk/
Also you can look at the old OS maps which often show burial grounds that have disappeared.
http://maps.nls.uk/series/
The 25" map don't tend to cover outside the town but the 6" coverage is fairly complete and will show burial grounds.

BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera