Author Topic: Looking for origin of O'LEARY family  (Read 9812 times)

Offline Allybee1062

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Looking for origin of O'LEARY family
« on: Sunday 08 July 07 02:20 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to trace the irish origins of my O'LEARY family.  I know the family was in South Australia in  1861 as JAMES O'LEARY married MARGARET KIELY on 14th May 1861 in Adelaide.  The marriage certificate states James' birthplace as 'Ireland' and his father's name is Andrew.  James' death registration doesn't list a birthplace.

I have found an entry on a shipping list that could possibly be my family. "O'LEARY Andrew, Catherine nee BURKE, 2 sons, 2 dau inc Honora arrived 1840-10-01 on Mary Dugdale from Bristol via Dublin 1840-06-02"

James and Margaret had 8 children. The eldest son was named Andrew but the name Catherine doesn't appear until their 4th daughter who was named Mary Ann Catherine.  I know this is clutching at straws but the Irish naming traditions have helped me in the past.

Does anybody have any ideas on where I could try next?  I just want to try and determine a county of origin if possible.  I guess if the family from the shipping list is mine, then I can't just presume they were from Dublin because the ship left from there?

Cheers,
Alison from Melbourne, Australia.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

BAKER, TILLETT, SMITH, THEOBALD, ANDREWS, NAUNTON, UNDERWOOD - Suffolk
LISH, HARMAN, HARLAND, LELLIOTT, WOOLGAR, WOOLVEN, FAIRS - Sussex
McGEE/MAGEE, LISH, WITHERS, PITMAN - London
WITHERS - London, Gloucestershire
PITMAN - London, Kent
ATTRILL, BOURNE - Isle of Wight
CADWALLADER - Wales
KNIGHT - Northamptonshire
O'LEARY - Ireland
BEGGS, BANDEAN, BROWN, SCOTT, DEWAR, RICHARDSON, RAMSAY - Scotland

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for origin of O'LEARY family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 22 June 08 23:17 BST (UK) »
Hello Alison,

The largest number of O'Leary families in Ireland at the time of Griffith's Valuation of Ireland 1848-64 were found in Co. Cork 79 and Cork city 23. Irish Ancestors Surname Search shows that the surname appeared in thirteen other counties.

I attempted to eliminate some of those counties for you by seeing which counties had a Parish with both Burke and O'Leary families but that didn't work too well as both the surnames appeared in the same parish in the following counties ... Clare, Cork, Cork city, Dublin city, Galway, Kerry, Kildare, Limerick, Mayo, Roscommon, Tipperary, Waterford and Wexford. It looks as though two counties were eliminated.

Christopher

Offline Allybee1062

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 02 July 08 04:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks for trying Christopher.  They are still eluding me, but I'm giving up just yet.....

PITMAN - London, Kent
CADWALLADER - Wales
O'LEARY - Ireland

Offline HODGKISS77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 May 11 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hello there.

I have O'leary's and Burke's in my family tree. My Grandfather was Patrick Burke and his  line all originated from Co.Wexford, Ireland.

Offline BeccW

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 May 11 13:50 BST (UK) »
Hi there
I have O'Leary's in my family but possibly not your line. My GGG Grandmother was Mary Ann O'Leary (father Arthur) who came from Ireland and married Edward Clark in Adelaide, South Australia in 1856. Mary Ann O'Leary was born c.1835 in Cork, Ireland (it seems to be where a lot of the O'Learys stemmed from). Have you checked the Biographical Index to South Australians yet????? There are O'Leary's in there but none of mine. If you don't have access to it, let me know and I can have a squizz for you next time I hit the research centre. Let me know

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
  • The O'Kane Family Garvagh
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 May 11 17:41 BST (UK) »
James O'Leary,father Andrew born in Cork in 1831....Honora 1839...Mary 1839...John 1829. I don't know if they are all the same family. Unfortunatley there is a fee to look at the record.

By using the option to search with the mother's name I got a match for Honora,  mother Catherine Burke and for Mary,with mother  ? Burke...but not for the others.
O'Kane, O'Mullan: Garvagh Derry
Bowe: Currabaha ,Waterford
McManus: Aghagallon ,Antrim
McGowan: Drumshambo, Leitrim

Offline Allybee1062

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 May 11 10:44 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for this info! You have managed to stumble upon an answer to one of my long sought after questions. These are all the right family. My ancestor James emigrated to Australia in 1840 with his father Andrew, step-mother Catherine Burke and 3 siblings. The South Australian Biological Index and Shipping Records have only ever mentioned James, Honora, Mary and an unknown male. I had worked out that it must have been an older brother but have never been able to put a name to him. I'm fairly certain it must be the John you have mentioned. I'll possibly be able to chase him down in South Australia too. I have been to this website before and been able to find the marriage of James' father Andrew O'Leary and his first wife Ann O'Connel in 1828 in Charleville, Co Cork but as the exchange rate means that 5 euro is about 15 dollars, it has been too expensive for me to search any further. I'm so excited about this though, I may have to treat myself to a few searches to find out more!

Thanks again for this and for your trouble.
Alison

PITMAN - London, Kent
CADWALLADER - Wales
O'LEARY - Ireland

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
  • The O'Kane Family Garvagh
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 May 11 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Alison
I searched for John.b1829 and James b1831 with mother Ann O'Connel and  father Andrew and got a hit. So John and James were from Andrew's 1st marriage and Mary and Honora (twins ?) from his 2nd marriage.I can only find records for 2 children from the 1st marriage and 2 from the second.

also marriage of Andrew to Catherine Burke in 1838.

I searched by parish and got a hit for his marriage in Shandrum RC church (St. Josephs ??) and baptism records for Mary and Honora in the same church.  You look at the area on google earth street view.

I found his 1st marriage in Charleville RC church (Holy Cross Church ??)  about 3 miles from Shandrum. John and James were baptised there too.

Griffith's valuation http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml has a couple of O'Leary's in Shandrum
O'Kane, O'Mullan: Garvagh Derry
Bowe: Currabaha ,Waterford
McManus: Aghagallon ,Antrim
McGowan: Drumshambo, Leitrim

Offline aldoaldo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 March 17 19:56 GMT (UK) »
Dear BeccW
I am descendent of Mary Ann O’Leary and Edward Clark from Tatiara/Bordertown.
I'm trying to get information on Mary Ann O'Leary's origins in Ireland.
I have very little to go on based on my Aunty Jill Harvey's notes.

Marriage date: 3 Dec 1856.
Mary Ann O’Leary aged 19 of Currie Street, Adelaide; Father: Arthur O’Leary.
To Edward Clark. His father’s name Stephen Clark

Mary Ann Died: 06/Jan/1918 (age: ~73-85, Bordertown, SA) Alternate date: 16/Jan/1918

Very interested if you have further information.
Yours sincerely
Allen