Author Topic: SIT: Please can somebody explain  (Read 12944 times)

Offline ChasH

• My email is no longer working sorry
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
SIT: Please can somebody explain
« on: Sunday 08 July 07 11:55 BST (UK) »
I only joined Rootschat yesterday but looking at some surname interests I see things like, say,  SMITH Gloucester 1900+

What does 1900+ mean?   It cannot, considering our research goes backwards in time, mean 1901 to 2007 can it?  Nobody ever researches that way do they?  But mathematically that's just what it does mean.

I think that it would be a good idea to adopt the standard signs "< " and ">" so that <1900 would mean less than 1900 and >1900 would mean greater than 1900.  Notice the "rule" that the open end of the arrows are towards the higher numbers (Or the arrows point towards the lower!) - it does not matter if the sign is behind the number as long as that "rule" is obeyed.

If the above signs cannot be adopted as standard why not use "pre" or "post" and forget the +?

Chas
My email is no longer working sorry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Bevstn:DAVIES:HIGGS:PERROT
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
ChSod:HARDING:HIGGS
Colrne:GOLDEN
G Bad:DAVIES
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG
K'St:BISHOP:PINEGAR
Marsh'd:BLAKE
Minch:HILL:MASON:PERRIN
N.Nib:PERROT:SHATFORD:WAYMAN:WOODWARD
N.Wrax:BLAKE

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Please can somebody explain
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 08 July 07 15:43 BST (UK) »
Seems obvious that 1900+ would mean 1900 and after. All research does not go backwards in time and often we are trying to trace a family forward up to the present day.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline ChasH

• My email is no longer working sorry
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
Re: Please can somebody explain Completed
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 08 July 07 17:09 BST (UK) »
O.K. Thanks
My email is no longer working sorry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Bevstn:DAVIES:HIGGS:PERROT
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
ChSod:HARDING:HIGGS
Colrne:GOLDEN
G Bad:DAVIES
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG
K'St:BISHOP:PINEGAR
Marsh'd:BLAKE
Minch:HILL:MASON:PERRIN
N.Nib:PERROT:SHATFORD:WAYMAN:WOODWARD
N.Wrax:BLAKE

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 10 July 07 01:45 BST (UK) »
Chas

I do forwards and backwards! 

Forwards because trying to find missing family for my dad who doesn't know anything about any of his cousins at all - as you can tell they weren't a close family! But he wants to know now so as the only one in family doing our tree, I am on the search. Just need time to get to Edinburgh cos it's all there.

Backwards - goes without saying!

Sometimes tho I've had to come forwards to go back to check that someone is who I thought they were.

Will meet myself coming other way one of these days!

Ann
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline rbell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 February 08 09:08 GMT (UK) »
I tend to agree with most suggestions providing we all understand what is intended. Research will of course still  proceed!  Cheers, Rob.