Author Topic: A general help question  (Read 1074 times)

Offline bonfirebrian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
A general help question
« on: Saturday 11 December 04 10:08 GMT (UK) »
I would like to start down the path of doing a family tree. There is a minefield of info out there saying this or that is the best way. Any suggestions on which path to take. Also, the various packages that are available - how helpful is the package 'RootsMagic 2 Platinum Edition' ?. Any opinion or help would be much appreciated.

Brian
Hull area: Powdrill, Tollan, Lunn, Giles, Dixon, Hill

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A general help question
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 December 04 10:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian

Do you want to know how to start finding out about your family?

There is only really one way to do it.  Start with with what you know for sure - yourself, parents, grandparents etc. etc.

Are you in England?  Your full birth certificate will show your parents names.  Then you will need their marriage certificate which will show when & where they were married, how old they were and, their father's names and occupations etc.. 

You might already know where your parents were born - their birth certificates will show when/where they were born and their parents names.

Once you have (you may already) somebody who you know was born prior to 1901 then they can be looked up in the census records - every 10 years back to 1841.

There is lots of useful information on the beginners board here.

Just post on here exactly what you want to know and then somebody will advise you how to find it or ....................  maybe even find it for you!  Just post names, dates, places - everything you know and it will help everybody to help you.  You will get lots of help and advice on here!

Good luck and happy hunting

Casalguidi

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 11 December 04 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian - Casalguidi has given you the benefit of his usual excellent advice based on real experience.
You asked about software. Every Family History Software Package has its followers- none of them are perfect. However, whilst you are beginning I suggest you download a free system to organise your research. This is one:

http://www.ldscatalog.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&categoryId=7000000&langId=-1&parent_category_rn=100069&level=2&bcname=Software%20Downloads%20-%20Free&top=Y&resetCat=N&replBC=subcatlist100069
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ticker

• User is no longer receiving email notifications.
  • RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Follow me on twitter @ShaunTymon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 11 December 04 18:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian

I am moving this post to the Beginners Board where it will hopefully generate a good response for you.

Best wishes

Ticker
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bonfirebrian

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 11 December 04 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Up to now your replies and help have been invaluable.
Very many thanks
Brian
Hull area: Powdrill, Tollan, Lunn, Giles, Dixon, Hill

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 11 December 04 21:57 GMT (UK) »
Shall look forward to seeing more of your postings and who you are researching Brian.

Best wishes

Casalguidi
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 December 04 14:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Brian

If you are in contact with any Aunts, Uncles, cousins etc it is worthwhile asking them if they have done any family research. I obtained much information (and documentation) from a couple of  extended family members and had no idea they were researching until I started my own research.

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk