Author Topic: Not another George Campbell -help!!  (Read 3262 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Not another George Campbell -help!!
« on: Wednesday 11 July 07 15:17 BST (UK) »
I recently managed to find the baptism and parents of my greatx4 grandfather George Campbell - only to discover his father was yet another George Campbell!!

This is now the third George Campbell in a row - they really had a lot of imagination when naming their children, didn't they - NOT?!    ::)

I really need some help with George No. 3!!

He married Janet Sharp in Scone, Perthshire in 1773. Their children's names - in order - George, Andrew, Elizabeth, John, Catherine & Jedediah (now that's more like it!!)

I'm pretty sure I've found Janet's baptism in Muthill, Perthshire in 1756, daughter of Andrew and Isobel.

I've looked on the IGI and on Scotland's People and can only find 3 possibles for George's baptism:

1. Kinfauns 1756 , son of James.
[This was my favourite as Kinfauns is very near Scone, even though they didn't have a son named James after his grandfather, but the IGI also has another George Campbell s/o James baptised there in 1765, so I'm thinking the first George must have died in infancy]. DOES ANYONE HAVE THE PRS FOR KINFAUNS TO BE ABLE TO CHECK THIS?

2. Dull 1758 , son of Alexander Campbell & Grisil Anderson.
[This is a bit too late, no children named after Alexander or Grisil, and Dull is a few more miles away)

3. Coupar Angus 1753, son of David campbell & Susan Watson.
[Same thing - a bit too far away, no children named after David & Susan]

can anyone help?

Jill

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline shionamairi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Not another George Campbell -help!!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 03 May 15 14:46 BST (UK) »
Jill

I have an ancestor called Alexander Campbell who was a weaver and was born in Scone on 19th April 1767 to George Campbell who was also a weaver & Margaret Hill. George & Margaret were married in Scone in December 1764 but appear to have only had 2 children registered - Alexander & Jean. I can find no further reference to Margaret Hill beyond the birth of Jean on 18 June 1769. I think that Margaret died and George married again to Janet Sharp on 22nd August 1773 - could this have any connection to the George Campbell you have been tracing?

Regards

Shiona

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 03 May 15 16:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Shiona,

Thanks for your post. Even after all this time, I still haven't found George's baptism!

If my George did marry before the 1773 marriage to Janet Sharp and as far back as 1764 it would make his probable birth date a lot earlier than I'd expected - and if he also called his first born son Alexander, then, bearing the Scottish naming pattern in mind, that might indicate that his father was named Alexander and not George as I'd presumed.

I suppose we first have to see if we can find a burial for Mary between Jean's birth in 1769 and the marriage to Janet in 1773.

Let's keep our fingers crossed!!!

Jill
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline shionamairi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 11:37 BST (UK) »
Jill

There is a record of a George Campbell occupation weaver having died on 11 September 1811 aged 73 yrs which would make his birth c1738. This George is buried at Greyfriars cemetery in Perth but maynot be the George I have been looking for.

Regards

Shiona

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 May 15 11:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Shiona,

Yes - that is the death I have for my George Campbell. Why do you think it may not be the right one for yours?

Jill
HELP!!!

Offline shionamairi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 06 May 15 09:33 BST (UK) »
Jill

The only reason I have a doubt about this is that there appears to be no information regarding any relationship in the record but as there are very few George Campbells at this time in Perth it is probably the correct one.

Regards

Shiona