Author Topic: The Hope Inn, Wisbech  (Read 14377 times)

Offline chrisb44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Hope Inn, Wisbech
« Reply #18 on: Monday 28 July 14 19:30 BST (UK) »
George and Elizabeth Bartram were my grandfather and mother. Their son (also) George Frederick was my father. George (snr) was born at 60 Eldon Street, Sheffield in 1880, and Elizabeth in Hackney in 1884. They were married in Hackney in 1901, and by 1911 were in Rainham in Essex. From there they moved to King's Lynn (by 1918 because my father started his apprenticeship with Savages about then. He was born 1904), living at Cresswell Street opposite Trues Yard. When they moved to Wisbech to the Hope Inn we don't know yet. He died in 1947 and Elizabeth in 1953. I know this a bit of a long time since the thread was started, but it may be of some interest. I have quite a bit of history of the Bartrams going back to 1801, with reasonable certainty. We lived on Nene Parade till it was demolished in about 1970/71 I think.

Offline SirKit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 10 August 14 18:29 BST (UK) »
Hi
Thanks for the post.  Elizabeth Bartram, nee Stiles was my Great Aunt.  Her sister Charlotte was my Grand Mother.  Charlotte married George Henry Francis Nicholl.  There was another Sister, Sarah Ann, she married Alfred Stiffell.  I've the Stiles family back to around the late 1700s when they were in Brighton.  Apparently my Cousin Louisa Nicholl was visiting your Grand Parents at the Hope Inn on the day the Second World War started.
Peter Nicholl

Offline chrisb44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 13 August 14 00:24 BST (UK) »
Nice to hear from you Peter, I can't remember at this point whether this makes us second cousins or cousins once or twice removed! I'll look it up later. I wonder if your cousin Louisa mentioned anything about my grandfather. My father refused to have anything to do with him. Apparently he was a drinker and womaniser, and propositioned my Mother when they were engaged! Grandmother had a handful of rings and was not averse to using them as a weapon when crossed. It's amazing that all their children turned out decent people (as far as I know!) the Bartrams originally came down from Sheffield, which is where Grandfather was born. Coincidently, my mothers side of the family also came from Yorkshire, near Richmond. If you're interested I can send you a family tree, but I'm going to try to put it on my family Wordpress site in the near future. Regards Chris Bartram

Offline SirKit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 17 September 14 18:22 BST (UK) »
Nice to hear from you Peter, I can't remember at this point whether this makes us second cousins or cousins once or twice removed! I'll look it up later. I wonder if your cousin Louisa mentioned anything about my grandfather Regards Chris Bartram
Hi Chris I think our common ancestor is our Great Grandfather, which makes us Second Cousins.  I don't remember Louisa mentioning your Grandfather, but I think your Grandmother made quite an impression. 
Unfortunately, my Gran died when my Dad was only 3, or 4, so he knew more about his Stepmother.  Equally unfortunately my Dad died before I really got into Family History, so there are quite a few gaps, including what happened to my Granddad, Dad's Dad.
Still, I suppose that's what makes it interesting.
Regards
Peter