Author Topic: The Hope Inn, Wisbech  (Read 14378 times)

Offline Ken_from_Wisbech

• RootsChat Senior
  • GPs - Annie (Pardoe) and Harry Brawn Edwards
    • View Profile
Re: The Hope Inn, Wisbech
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 July 07 17:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Peter

Just been out for a walk and sort of starting thing about the abbatoir connection.

When I was a lad living in Outwell, otside Wisbech, I remember a friend of mine who was a butcher and had a slaughterhouse to the rear of the shop, so there could well have been a butcher in the area of Hope Inn.  I will try and contact Richard Willoughby or one of his sisters to see if they knew of a butcher close by.

Hold on tight.  we're on a roller!
Drake, Blackhall, Roney, Lovell.  Parry, Edwards,  Pardoe, Braun/Brawn/Bryan, all in Bethnal Green, Stepney, Whitechapel, Mile End, Tottenham, Palmers Green and Edmonton area.

http://www.wisbech-town.co.uk

Also a member of the East of London and Fenland  Family History Societies

Offline Long_haul

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 July 07 21:08 BST (UK) »
Have found one of the photos I had.   I can't find the one that I did a drawing from, but the other one I had from my mate Richard Willoughby, is the same as the Frith one, though for some reason, not as good.  The one I did the drawing from, had the gas holder in Chase Street, in the background.  I have also done another one of the Shipwright's Arms in Brigstock Road/Crabmarsh.

I have checked up in Kellys for 1904, but for some reason, the Hope Inn is not included.  Come to that, there are several Public Houses not included.

I have also got a transcript from2The Inns and Taverns of Wisbech," which states: "Hope Inn, by the canal, situated on the opposite side of the road to 'The Case Is Altered' on the south end of the Horsefair.  From 1873 onward it has been under the tenancy of Bouch, Hellis, Barnes, Hotson, Randall, Bartram and Firth."  Don't know if any of those names help out.  Maybe more of Kellys Directories in the library can help.

Anyway, this is a copy of the photo I have had for several years from Richard Willoughby

Hi Ken,

Are you able to tell me how long Elizabeth Bouch  held the tenacy for The Hope Inn?

Long_haul

Offline Ken_from_Wisbech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 July 07 21:56 BST (UK) »

Hi Ken,

Are you able to tell me how long Elizabeth Bouch  held the tenacy for The Hope Inn?

Long_haul

Hi LH

Not been able to find anything other than I have given so far.  Have you any further details of Elizabeth? DOB Place of Birth, anything? I have checked on 1881 census and come up with nothing for Wisbech.

Drake, Blackhall, Roney, Lovell.  Parry, Edwards,  Pardoe, Braun/Brawn/Bryan, all in Bethnal Green, Stepney, Whitechapel, Mile End, Tottenham, Palmers Green and Edmonton area.

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 12 July 07 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Long Haul and Ken

Elizabeth Bouch head wid 46 inn keeper Norfolk Kings Lynn
Elizabeth E  "     dau u/m 17                     Cambs Wisbech
John T          "     son u/m 15 saw mill employed    "
George A      "    son u/m 11 scholar                      "
Clement Long boarder u/m 23 groom                   Elm

living at Hope Inn, 18 Canal St, Wisbech St Peter, Wisbech, Cambs
Rg12/ 1304
folio 87
page 16

ricky

Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ricky1

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Mum and Dad
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 12 July 07 22:13 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Bouch was living with he husband and family at no 8 East Street, Wisbech
Ricky (1954 - 2010)

Harby,Garton,Drury,Duncombe,Booth,Catton,Barker, Kirkby, Wilson. Lincolnshire, <br />Also Murkin's, Jeffery,Pettitt,Carter, from Suffolk/Cambridgeshire boarder<br />Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ken_from_Wisbech

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 12 July 07 22:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Long Haul and Ken

Elizabeth Bouch head wid 46 inn keeper Norfolk Kings Lynn
Elizabeth E  "     dau u/m 17                     Cambs Wisbech
John T          "     son u/m 15 saw mill employed    "
George A      "    son u/m 11 scholar                      "
Clement Long boarder u/m 23 groom                   Elm

living at Hope Inn, 18 Canal St, Wisbech St Peter, Wisbech, Cambs
Rg12/ 1304
folio 87
page 16

ricky

Hi Ricky

All the same area Brilliant ...... Just as a matter of interest, East Street is still there, but can't remember what it's called now.

It the bit that runs in between the Empire and the back of the Horsefair and down to what was the Horsefair Clinic and is now being converted into some sort of theme pub, go around the corner to the back of Argos and that was East Place.

So anyway.  We now know that Elizabeth Bouch was at the Hope in 1891.

As for the boarder .... Clement Long.  Wonder if that has any connection with our Long on the board?  LOL

Offline SirKit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 02 August 07 18:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for all the help.  I've moved things forward a bit.  It was the Hope Inn I was looking for.  Went back to basics and found the Landlady was my Great Aunt Elizabeth Bartram, nee Stiles.  I understand that they (Elizabeth and George Bartram) were still there after the War, so does anybody remember them, or what happened to them?
Peter

Offline sidney89

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 28 August 10 14:08 BST (UK) »
The Bartram's left the Hope Inn before the end of the war & moved to Kings Lynn.  Out of curiosity, who is your cousin?

S

Offline SirKit

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 29 August 10 13:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Sidney
Thank you for the message.  My cousin is Louisa Nicholl, her father was an elder brother of my Dad.  Louisa's and my grand parents were George Nicholl and his wife Charlotte, nee Stiles.  Charlotte was an elder sister of Elizabeth Betsy Stiles.  Elizabeth married George Bartram in Hackney on May 26 1901.  Which makes Elizabeth my great aunt.  I've moved forward a bit and found her death on May 5 1953, with an address in Kings Lynn.  I've got back to Edward Evan Stiles, born about 1793 in Brighton.  I'm interested to know your interest and look forward to hearing from you.
Peter Nicholl