Author Topic: Morgan family Newchurch  (Read 16843 times)

Offline MEN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Morgan family Newchurch
« on: Wednesday 11 July 07 19:38 BST (UK) »
Just wondering if there are any members researching Morgan/Morgans from Newchurch.
MEN

Offline Gramboy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Morgan family Newchurch
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 August 10 22:07 BST (UK) »
I have just started researching them. My  gg grandfather was Thomas Morgan, born Newchurch or Llanpumpsaint 1807 married the second time on 23 June 1859 to widow Mary Davies nee Barrett. He gives his address as Bwlchyronnen, Abergwili and occupation as Gentleman farmer. His father is listed as Richard Morgan, Gentleman. One of the witnesses was John Morgan. This I presume to be his son born 1823 then living at Bwlchyronnen. I have the marriage certificate and a photgraph of his tombstone at Philadelpgia chapel, Carmarthen

Offline MEN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 August 10 10:19 BST (UK) »
Hello

Many thanks for getting in touch with me. I am searching through my 'Morgan' notes to try to find a connection. I am sure we have some common ground. I hope to get back to you later today

Best wishes,
MEN

Offline Gramboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 August 10 14:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the prompt reply.  I have just purchased and downloaded a will from NLW  for a Richard Morgans 1816, Gent from Cwmdwyfran, Newchurch which I will study this afternoon to see if it throws any light on the family.

Offline MEN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 11:46 BST (UK) »
I was looking at the NWL wills yesterday too but got a little side-tracked by my other 'Morgans' family ( Llanfihangel Rhos y Corn and Llanybydder ) There were quite a few interesting connections in one Morgans Will but not enough to establish any direct relationship.
As regards the Morgan family at Newchurch/ Llanpumsaint/Abergwilli I will give you the information I have. I have traced my family back to John Morgan b Abt 1796 . His father was Richard Morgan, a gentleman farmer or as described on one of the marriages of John, a Gentle-farmer! John was my Gt Gt Gt Grandfather His first marriage was to Margaret Jones - my Gt Gt Gt Grandmother. I have the Parish Record of this marriage and the witnesses were Oliver Morgan and Wi ill? John. The marriage took place at Llanpumsaint in 1817. Margaret died in 1836 at Llangwilly/ Glangwilli, Llanpumsaint and his 2nd marriage was to Ann. She died 1845 at Pentrefynys, Abergwilli . John's 3rd wife was Sophia Thomas, a widow.I have their marriage certificate and the witnesses on that are Richard Morgan and David Davies. They married at the PC Conwil in 1850. Sophia  died 1885. I am wondering if John could be a brother of your Thomas.  One of John's son's farmed at Bwlchyronnen Abg. 1861 census His name was Richard.

I can give you further information on the family of John Morgan and the various abodes.

I hope this information doesn't add to the confusion!

Best wishes,

Maureen

Offline Gramboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 15:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the information. My Thomas Morgan born circa 1806/07 in Newchurch or Llanpumpsaint (depending on the census) was my  great great grandfather who gives his address at his marriage to Mary Davies in 1859 as Bwlchyronnen, Abergwili.
There were no Morgans living there in 1851 so the family must have moved there between these dates.  He gives as a witness John Morgans and he is residing at Bwlchyronnen in the 1861 census but was only born in 1824 so is likely Thomas' son and not your John.
I have now studied the will of Richard Thomas who died 1815 and he had a relict wife, Margaret an elder son David, a younest son Oliver and a middle son Thomas.
Oliver is a family name in my family and so all the information seems to fit.
It does not appear to fit your John's profile who may well have been a brother to this Richard?
I can let you have the will if you wish
regards
Roger

Offline MEN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 03 August 10 22:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger,

Thank you for your reply.

The reason I thought that your Thomas and my John Morgan may be brothers was that  both had fathers named Richard ( Gentlemen farmers) and they were born within about 10 years of each other which could well be possible with such large families. An Oliver Morgan was witness to John's marriage to Margaret Jones (1817) and one of John's sons was named Oliver. As regards the connection with Bwlchyronnen, I have John's son Richard there in 1861.
The children of John Morgans were
Elizabeth b 1818
Thomas
Richard
David
Oliver
John
Rachel
Charles

Elizabeth was my Gt Gt grandmother and was married to David Davies

The farms associated with my family are Llangwilli known also as Glangwilli LPsT
                                                            Mill Farm LPst
                                                            Pentrefynos ABG
                                                             Fyrbainlyr LPst
                                                              Dole           Conwil Elvet
                                                             Cwmgwilly Farm ABG
                                                              Cwmgwilli Mill ABG

If only I lived nearer to Carmarthen I might be able to sort out the jigsaw! Was the Will which you accessed for Richard Morgan, Cwmdyfrain? I haven't as yet managed to find a link with that abode

I will try to continue the search!

Best wishes,
Maureen

Offline Gramboy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 10:25 BST (UK) »
Hello Maureen
I only live about 30+ miles from Carmarthen and I know the area quite well. My Thomas gave his address in 1859 as Bwlchyronnen, Abergwili as his witness John from the same address. I know that Thomas was married at least once before so it is reaasonable to assume that this John is his son  and not that of your John! but his birth certificate will clarify it.  have you obtained it and clarified this point?
The will is of Richard Thomas living in Cwmdwyfran which is a village in the parish of Newchurch across the Gwili river from the parish of Abergwili and the dates and names do seem to tie up.
I have been to the Carmarthen Record office and checked the parish registers for newchurch and Abergwili parishes.An Oliver Morgan 25 of Gwastad died 25 Feb 1826; A David Morgan 6months of langwli died 10 Sept 1823; a Margaret Morgan 30 Glangwilly died 30 Jan 1829 (possibly the widow of Richard Morgans 1815); a David Morgan 9mnths of Langwili died 7 Dec 1834.
The burial records show that a catherine Morgan 64 from Newchurch buried24 dec 1814; and a catherine Morgan 87 buried 17 Jan 1815 from Llanpumpsaint (neighbouring parish) and a Hugh Morgan 26 buried 8 Feb 1815 from newchurch.  These may not be of any interest to you but there are few Morgan/s in these three parishes that I researched them anyway.
I apologise if you already have this information but if you wish me to arrange to research further in the CRO please do not hesitate to ask as you may well be a relation! Thomas Morgans was my great great grandfather
 regards
Roger

Offline MEN

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 August 10 17:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger
There are a couple of things which I am finding a little confusing. Firstly it was not John Morgan who was living at  Bwlchyronnen in 1861 but his son Richard. This is what i have for Richard Morgan

1841 living at Llangwilly LPst aged 15 Ag Lab
1851 living at Dole, Conwil Elvet with his wife Rachel. He is aged 24, she 29
1861 living at Bwlchyronnen with Rachel . He is 33 and she 50?
1871 living with his second wife Mary at Cwmgwilli Farm ABG He is 44 Mary 55
1881 living with Mary at Cwmgwilly Mill He is 54 She is 72?
1891 living as a lodger at Clothiers Farm Lpst with Rachel Thomas and family. He is aged 64

I am fairly sure this is correct although the ages of the wives are rather erratic to say the least!

The other item which confused me was the Will. Is it for Richard Morgans or Richard Thomas?

Thank you very much for the information you sent re deaths. I do have some of them and also I have some that you have not sent so I can forward those to you if you wish. I can tell you that Margaret Morgans (  Glangwilly buried Jan 30th 1830 aged 30 ) was my Gt Gt Gt Grandmother and wife of John Morgan. I have her burial record for LPst I think I made a mistake in my previous post and wrote that Margaret was buried 1836 instead of 1830

I do have a few records which you may find interesting and I can scan these and forward them to you if you so wish. Let me know.

I think that the next step would be to try to find the births of your Thomas Morgan 1807 and my John Morgan Abt 1796.John's age varies quite a lot. In 1841 he is 45 1851 he is 52 but in 1861 he is 70! He died April 24th 1861 aged 70!

As with all my Carmarthenshire family history, a lot more delving needs to be done!

Many thanks Roger,
Best wishes,
Maureen