Author Topic: Watchmakers of Coventry  (Read 53200 times)

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Watchmakers of Coventry
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 29 June 11 22:31 BST (UK) »
Ah Ok , thanks for explaining thought it was me again hehe ...thanks  ;)
O'GRADY - DUBLIN,TIPPERARY,& ENGLAND
DOOLEY - TIPPERARY, CO LAOIS
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
HARRIS- CLARE, CORK, & ENGLAND
BLANEY, DOYLE FURLONG -  WEXFORD
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

OTHER NAME INTERESTS - MORAN ,CORBETT, LILLIS, MCGERRY, MCNAMARA, MCGRANE, BRENNAN.....All County Clare & Scattery Island

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Friday 15 July 11 19:16 BST (UK) »

I was in the Herbert art gallery and Museum in Coventry last week and they have a very interesting display on the watch makers of coventry.

Some watch makers worked from home doing specific jobs and the watches would be taken from house to house to be worked on.

A young lad who was working with his dad learning the trade made a list of one of the watches journeys and that list is up in the museum. It gives the names and profession of everyone who worked on the watch.There are also some watches on display and they give the names of the people who made them.

If anyone would like me to go back and see if your family is listed then give me the name and I will gladly check it for you.

Hello Denise Jo
It was 2 years ago you entered this offer, but if you could see if my watchmaking family of ATKINS is listed in the hERBERT Museum I would appreciate it very much.  Thank you!
Warwicks: Whitehead, Allcock, Atkins, Bayley, Beacham, Bilson, Brooks, Cleaver,Farmer,Gilks, Lucas, Kendall, Oliver, Pickard, Shilton, Underhill.
Lincs: Kendall, Clark, Morley,Vincent, Withers, Barlow,Dawson.
Leics. Vincent
Notts: Bardill, Bugg, Morley, Winfield
Dublin: Brooks, Flood.

Offline annijac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Friday 15 July 11 21:18 BST (UK) »
Denise Jo has kindly offered to look in the Coventry Watch Museum, I wonder could you look and see if my gg grandfather,s name is there   Joseph Thomas Batting known as Thomas I believe. Quote" an other distinct  loss to the horological trades is to be  noted in the lamented death of Thomas Batting gold an silver dial finisher, of Coventry, at the age of seventy four years. He was apprenticed to Williamson of upper charles street, clerkenwell, became manager to Bovey of Corporation Row, and married Mr Bovey,s daughter.   finding that the Swiss could beat us in cheapness and syle of work, he went to Geneva to see their methods and to make improved engines and machines for frosting the grounds of the dials also dial painting machines and in all parts of dial making to bring new and improved tool to bear.  After some years he returned to England and set up in Upper Ashby street, Clerkenwell, and after a year or so went to Coventry.  His dials were the flattest and most delicate in finish and were the least trouble of all dials to fit to the movement and the colouring was his own secret and has never been equalled his widow carries on the business" unquote.   Jacque.

Offline annijac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 31 January 12 20:01 GMT (UK) »
My g.g.grandfather Joseph Thomas Batting was a watchmaker, dial painter and finisher, from Spon street Coventry in the 19th century his family were also involved in the business, has any one any information on him, I would be made up  if I could  find anything about him

Offline tossiez

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 03 December 12 12:02 GMT (UK) »
Hello all, I have only just found this thread again. I too am researching watchmaker ancestors. In my case the name is Furneaux - watchcap makers from Clerkenwell in London, who moved to Coventry in about 1830.
If anyone else is researching this family, they may have found out where they came from before 1765, when Lewis Furneaux - a watchcap maker - married Elizabeth Paine in Clerkennwell, London. I have hit a brick wall here - were they Huguenots or Normans up from Devon?

Offline DKimberley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 11 March 13 16:17 GMT (UK) »
does anyone have any information on the watchmakers of coventry 1841 - 1900 particularly Charles Flint. I have found out that Charles lived in Craven street coventry in 1851 and he employed 41 people. I know his house is on the coventry watchmakers heritage trail and now bears a plaque with his name on it.
Any info will be great

dawnw

quite a few mentions of Charles Flint in the British Newspaper Archives c1850-1870s. Looks to have been active in local politics etc.
Kimberley, Allen, Perry, Bird, Lenton, Marston, Clifford, Seth, Walsh, Belson

Offline Debs1959

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 16 March 14 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I too am researching the Furneaux family originally from Clerkenwell London and who moved to Coventry.  My great grandmother was Emilie Isabel Furneaux - daughter of William Furneaux - his father Thomas Furneaux was the brother of Lewis Furneaux.  I am also intrigued as to why they left London and for more general information about the family particularly Samuel Furneaux born 1765 in London but for whom I have no further information.

Offline Graham Whitehead

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 18 March 14 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I too am researching the Furneaux family originally from Clerkenwell London and who moved to Coventry.  My great grandmother was Emilie Isabel Furneaux - daughter of William Furneaux - his father Thomas Furneaux was the brother of Lewis Furneaux.  I am also intrigued as to why they left London and for more general information about the family particularly Samuel Furneaux born 1765 in London but for whom I have no further information.

Hello Debs
See my entry of 22 Mar 09 on this topic, My ancestors Atkins were in Clerkenwell but appear to have been a Coventry family.  This also intrigues me the connection in the trade between the two places that were watchmaking centres. 
Warwicks: Whitehead, Allcock, Atkins, Bayley, Beacham, Bilson, Brooks, Cleaver,Farmer,Gilks, Lucas, Kendall, Oliver, Pickard, Shilton, Underhill.
Lincs: Kendall, Clark, Morley,Vincent, Withers, Barlow,Dawson.
Leics. Vincent
Notts: Bardill, Bugg, Morley, Winfield
Dublin: Brooks, Flood.

Offline danum40

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Sunday 07 June 15 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hi, I have a superb silver and gold dial made by your great great Grandad, Thomas Batting circa 1860 let me know if you are interested in it. I can supply photos, Kind regards Robert

:)