Author Topic: Dellers Summer Cafe - Paignton  (Read 24794 times)

Offline devongirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Me
    • View Profile
Re: Dellers Summer Cafe - Paignton
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 21:43 BST (UK) »
I found Dellers Summer Cafe in the Kellys for 1930 & 1936, it wasn't in the 1926 one though.  It just gave the address as Esplanade Paignton, but I found out that the Esplanade Hotel was situated where the Inn on the Green is now and Dellers Cafe was on its left on the corner of Garfield Road where the Lighthouse Pub is now. It is a nightclub/sports Bar.

Very annoyingly my son just came past, saw my picture of Dellers Summer Cafe and said ' That looks like the Lighthouse!'    The low wall and the right hand side(as you look at it) of the building still remain!  If only I'd of thought to ask him!

Dellers seem to have been a very prominant family owning the well known Dellers Cafe in Torbay Road at numbers 18-24 corner of Queens Park Road.  Also 1926 Pharmacies at 5 Palace Avenue and 8 Torbay Road and in 1935 a Confectioners 14 Torbay Road, pharmacies 11 Palace Ave and 8 Torbay Rd.   They also used to own the large building in Palace Avenue as Dellers Supply Stores (now Rossiters) and shops in Winner Street.

Mog
Dellers Cottages were in Winner Street which used to be 'the old town'.  In the 1948 Kellys I found them in there were just numbers 1 & 3.  I have some old maps of Winner Street area at work and I will try to pinpoint their exact location.  Next time I'm in library I will look at Kellys nearest to 1915 and look at residents for your Grandfather's name. I hadn't taken the details with me unfortunately.  If you are unfamiliar with Paignton you could look on a Google map and see where it is in relation to the town.

Daisy
London - Wichett, GRAN, Pelton,Allen,Heath,Webb,Hooker, BARHAM, Rimes, Smith, Player, Cheesman, Salmon, Strong
Hampshire - Coles, Bone
Suffolk - Webb, Gault
Carlisle - Strong, Donaldson, Bennett

Offline terryleaman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 21:59 BST (UK) »
Daisy, you are a star. I thought it was on the seafront.

I've also found that Dellers had a cafe in Exeter- see

http://www.exetermemories.co.uk/EM/dellers.html

and possibly one in Taunton
Hooper- Torquay & Exbourne
Stevenson- Plymouth & Lincolnshire
Vivian- Cornwood & London

General Torquay local history- OPC for Torquay

Offline devongirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 22:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Terry for link.

I have become quite interested in them during my 'quest'. I had noticed in one of the directories they had been bought by Chards.  I wonder what happened to the Deller family?  Its not a name I have particularly noticed locally.

Daisy
London - Wichett, GRAN, Pelton,Allen,Heath,Webb,Hooker, BARHAM, Rimes, Smith, Player, Cheesman, Salmon, Strong
Hampshire - Coles, Bone
Suffolk - Webb, Gault

Offline Devon Maid

• RootsChat Member
  • Barbican, Plymouth, Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 09 August 07 10:53 BST (UK) »
Daisy

Thank you for all the information on The Dellers and the Summer Cafe. I will have a look at "The Lighthouse" when I am next in Paignton. Do you know what stands on the site of the other Dellers Cafe. It's intriguing, I wonder why they sold up. I didn't know they had so many other shops etc.

I did try the internet for information but nothing was forthcoming.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from ww.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stoneman, Pawley, Wiliams, Giles

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 09 August 07 11:12 BST (UK) »
Dear Devonmaid
Thanks for the information about the cottages - yes he lived at no 3 in 1915.
At last I know where they were
Thank you
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES

Offline devongirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 09 August 07 18:53 BST (UK) »
One the site of the Dellers Cafe in Torbay Road is now a shop called 'This Is It' it sells toys, linen, toileteries etc, its quite big occupying 18-20.

Previously there was a remnant shop there about 30 years ago , a friend told me.

Daisy
Hampshire - Coles, Bone
Suffolk - Webb, Gault

Offline Devon Maid

• RootsChat Member
  • Barbican, Plymouth, Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 10 August 07 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hello Daisy

I think I know just where you mean. It sounds like the parade of shops on the left hand side going towards the railway bridge and just before you get to the older parade of shops next to the railway line. I can remember a remnant shop and even think i've been in the "This is it "shop. I will have to have a look when I next visit. I'm glad the other side of Torbay Road is more or less intact, still keeping it canopies. I always find myself looking upwards now to see what the rest of the buildings are like. It seems odd somehow that two of the most well known buildings were knocked down. It's probably a case of not appreciating what you've got till it's gone.

Many thanks for all your help.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from ww.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stoneman, Pawley, Wiliams, Giles

Offline Devon Dumpling

• RootsChat Extra
  • Oh to be in Devon...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 17 July 08 20:31 BST (UK) »
Two very good books with pictures are rather unoriginally called 'Pictures Of Paignton' and 'Pictures Of Paignton 2' but they are good.

They have lots of pictures of places like Dellars, Woolies, Victoria Street, Hyde Road (before it was all shops), WInner Street, Palace Avenue, Oldway Mansion etc.

Also interesting for anyone interested in Oldway Mansion - the current exterior is not the original one and it was redone in a completely different style to update it but only on the three sides which you can see - if you go round the back you can see the original exterior.
Auger, Barnes, Betts, Chan, Cheng, Chard, Chase, Elliot, Eveleigh, Full, Holmes, Jones, Miller, Newland, Rowe, Shinner, Tuckerman, Turner

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 17 July 08 22:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks DD - I will look out for those books when I next visit.
Welcome to RC - you will find everyone helps each other

best wishes

Mog
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES