Author Topic: Dellers Summer Cafe - Paignton  (Read 24699 times)

Offline Devon Maid

• RootsChat Member
  • Barbican, Plymouth, Devon
    • View Profile
Dellers Summer Cafe - Paignton
« on: Friday 13 July 07 10:34 BST (UK) »
Since becoming interested in my Family History I have become aware of the buildings they may have visited or lived in. I have a picture in a book of Dellers Summer Cafe in Paignton. Does anyone know if the building still exist and if so where is it located.

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from ww.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stoneman, Pawley, Wiliams, Giles

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • JACHs Jacksdale Area Culture & Heritage Group
    • View Profile
Re: Dellers Summer Cafe - Paignton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 July 07 22:35 BST (UK) »
Dear Sue
I am also interested in the reply to your question.  My grandfather Samuel Clift lived at 3, Dellars Cottages, Paignton in 1915.  Someone suggested that the Dellars owned the cafe and the cottages.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Devon & Cornwall - CLIFT, LARK
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY
Derbys/Notts- COCKAYNE, PHEASEY, KNOWLES

Offline devongirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 August 07 21:30 BST (UK) »
The Dellers were quite an important family in Paignton (I live in Paignton) . Sadly the cafe is no longer. It used to be down the Torbay Road near the Picture Palace not far from the seafront. It was demolished in 1965, but it still spoken of fondly by the older residents as where they used to have afternoon tea.   It was quite a big building.

I haven't heard of Dellars Cottages, (but I'm an incomer - only been here for 11 years)  I will ask about it in work next week.  My Boss knows a lot about Paignton.

Daisy
London - Wichett, GRAN, Pelton,Allen,Heath,Webb,Hooker, BARHAM, Rimes, Smith, Player, Cheesman, Salmon, Strong
Hampshire - Coles, Bone
Suffolk - Webb, Gault
Carlisle - Strong, Donaldson, Bennett

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 August 07 11:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks Daisy
I would be interested in anything about the cottages
my grandfather was demobbed to that address after WW1
mog
General Information relating to villages of JACKSDALE, PYE HILL & WESTWOOD Notts
Cheshire - TAYLOR, HEAPY, KNOWLES, HAMPSON, CLAYTON, STONIER, PRITCHARD, NADIN, GALLIMORE
Staffs - HEAPY
Devon - CLIFT, VITTERY, TRIST, MOLLOY, COBLEY, LEAR, GUILFOYLE, BICKFORD, EPPS, BEAZLEY, DARKE, LANG, QUANT, BLANKENSHIP
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY

Offline Devon Maid

• RootsChat Member
  • Barbican, Plymouth, Devon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 August 07 11:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Daisy

I have two photographs of Dellers Cafe's in Paignton. I think that the one you are referring to in Torbay Road is not the same as the Summer Cafe as they look to be completely different buildings. My summer cafe picture is part of the Francis Frith collection and is in amongst photographs of the seafront area. I just wondered if the building is still there but being used for something else. I had my eye on the Inn on the Green area but it is not the Inn on the Green but maybe it is the building next to it. In my picture looking at the front of the building there is a road to the left, on the right hand side is a Hotel. The summer cafe had a sort of "Spanish Influence" to it . I used to live in Plymouth and Paignton was on the "Charabanc" outing circuit and it was to Dellers that lunch which in the 1950's was a main meal was served.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from ww.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Stoneman, Pawley, Wiliams, Giles

Offline devongirl

• RootsChat Member
  • Me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 August 07 18:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue

I did ask at work but I'm afraid my employer only remembers the one I mentioned, he did suggest that it was perhaps the back view as it backs onto a small park.  However I had a look at the Francis Frith one you menttioned and looked at a Paignton Godfrey Map 1901 , I think you are correct and they must have had a second cafe along the seafront.   It is not mentioned on the map but there is an Esplanade Hotel and between that on the right and Garfield Road on the left is where it may be. Will go past tomorrow, I'm curious now.

I am going to the library tomorrow and will look at the local Kellys etc there, someone local must know.

Mog

Will try find out about Dellars Cottages at library tomorrow.

Failing evberything else I'm going to my local FHS meeting Friday.

Watch this space.

Daisy
London - Wichett, GRAN, Pelton,Allen,Heath,Webb,Hooker, BARHAM, Rimes, Smith, Player, Cheesman, Salmon, Strong
Hampshire - Coles, Bone
Suffolk - Webb, Gault
Carlisle - Strong, Donaldson, Bennett

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 August 07 19:28 BST (UK) »
Dear Daisy
Thank you so much
it is really good of you
mog
Staffs - HEAPY
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY

Offline terryleaman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 August 07 20:07 BST (UK) »
This has me intrigued- I'm sure it was on the seafront! I've searched all my books at home and whilst there is a photo it doesn't say where it was, the earliest Kellys Directory I have is 1955 and its not listed in that.
If nobody can come up with the answer try contacting the Herald Express newspaper in Torquay and ask them to print a letter from you asking about it. Website http://www.thisissouthdevon.co.uk/
Hooper- Torquay & Exbourne
Stevenson- Plymouth & Lincolnshire
Vivian- Cornwood & London

General Torquay local history- OPC for Torquay

Offline cheshiremog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 August 07 09:49 BST (UK) »
If someone does write to the Herald Express would they please also ask about the cottages as well
Staffs - HEAPY
Somerset -Frome -HEAPY