Author Topic: drawing up family tree on paper??  (Read 103633 times)

Offline earley-bird

• RootsChat Senior
  • I am ready for something...but I don't know what!
    • View Profile
Re: drawing up family tree on paper??
« Reply #18 on: Monday 10 January 05 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Got to say I wouldnt be without my computer program

Willow x

what do you use?
I have provisionally made a custom tree using Correldraw.
Hopefully Family Tree program should arrive soon but I also want to put the tree on Genes Reunited as well . I'll probably end up re-entering everything  :'(
Whitchurch, Westminster / Buckinghamshire
Cooper,     Westminster
Pollard     Surrey
Earley,  Holborn London
Bruce,  London
Kangeisser  London
Lawlor, Widnes Lancashire
Hagan   Widnes Lancashire

All Census Lookups are are Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only, I support copyright, a Wife, 2x children  a dobie, 2 x cats, a Tawny owl. and several mice if the drop

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 10 January 05 23:37 GMT (UK) »
I'm using Family Tree Maker which I cannot complain about. It also lets you scan in photos relating to your family

You can download a free family tree program from Ancestry.co.uk which is a GEDCOM type file which can be upladed into any family tree program. Its not brilliantly detailed but saves you having to do everything twice

If you want I'll find you the link

Guess what - just looked and it isn't on there any more - blooming typical!

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Paul E

« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 11 January 05 10:48 GMT (UK) »
I'm using GenesReunited as my primary record but its frustrating having to print all the maternal lines off seperately - and you end up with duplications.  And as I've just discovered a ggg grandfather who had 14 children, and two of these had eight or nine apiece, its going to be a nightmare!
Having said that, it was only through GenesReunited that I discovered someone who was researching the same line, so I shouldn;t really complain!
Thought about getting a simple Family Tree PC programme - have seen some for around £10.  Does anyone have any experience of these and what the print-outs are like?
I don't think I want to invest in the full Family Tree Maker package.

Offline celia

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 11 January 05 22:10 GMT (UK) »
I have had three Family tree disks for years, right from the start i could not get my head round them,still cant. Only a few ago i went back to try again thinking i would put a finished tree on it ;D but no my mothers sister ended up as her grandmother so i stayed with what a started with what i do is this
                       Descendent's of (G.G.G.Grandparents)
Married  on Date at Place
Children of   Jack and Jill Jones ;D
1                                                                                               2
Number 1 married  Betty Brown on 21 sep 1820
Update 11th Jan 2005 Betty died
Then again children of number one and Betty brown

Doing a tree this way you have all the information in front of you and you can go back and update at anytime. I found it better to update rather than delete and re-enter an entry because it can knock the rest out of line. I have now redesigned another tree by copying and pasting Censuses on them. It looks brilliant .Myself i only put sibling of a G.G.Grandfather and who they married children they had the rest comes later.

Why is this topic on the lighter it aint light work gettin a tree together ;D

Celia
Celia 1941-2010
~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rake Lane Burials

M.I.Merchant Marina's Rake Lane

FLORENCE JONES MARRIED JOHN GIBBON HIGNETT IN 1885

Offline Amy K

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy: Chasing your own tale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 11 January 05 22:49 GMT (UK) »
I drew this tree with PowerPoint. The good thing about PowerPoint is that you can get your tree to look exactly how you want it. It takes a lot of time but I think the end result is worth it. The only draw back is you are limited to A4 size, unless you have access to a printer that can print larger sheets.

I saved this as a .jpeg so the quality is not as good as if you viewed it through PowerPoint itself, but you get the idea.
Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Paul E

« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 12 January 05 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Amy

I wondered about using Powerpoint - one advantage being that you can create hyperlinks from a name (ie maternal line) through to another page, indefinately (and of course you could hyperlink to images of census pages, photos, other stuff).

Paul

Offline Amy K

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy: Chasing your own tale!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 12 January 05 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Paul, that's an excellent idea, and not something I had thought of. I just tend to draw them and print them out for family members, to TRY and get them interested in genealogy a bit. The drawing can't be that good as they are as uninterested as ever!!
Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 12 January 05 09:34 GMT (UK) »
At the moment I am using Excel to draw up trees, one tree pro A4 page.

The (preview) results are viewable at http://www.margulies-chronicles.com/i-trees.php

It's a lot of work, but as Amy has said about PowerPoint:
... you can get your tree to look exactly how you want it. It takes a lot of time but I think the end result is worth it. ...

the next stage is to "clean up" the background colour, and then I want to add hyperlinks to the names, so that I can jump straight to the biographies.  I haven't decided yet how - the PowerPoint idea sounds good, or I may try "drawing" the tables in HTML (Eeeek !!). I also tried converting the excel tables to HTML but that didn't work properly, so I shall keep trying.  I'll post here if I find a good soöution, and I I shall continue to monitor this posting in case somebody else does ! 
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 28 February 07 09:49 GMT (UK) »

I have now "re-drawn" the trees in HTML - see
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=143930.msg1012549#msg1012549
replies #57 and #58

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)