Author Topic: hms james  (Read 2690 times)

Offline Brian Greaves

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: hms james
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 08:03 GMT (UK) »
I am related to James Atlantic greaves, he was my great Grandfather, would love to find out more

Offline Brian Greaves

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 13:27 GMT (UK) »
hi,
can anyone please tell me if they have ever heard of a ship called hms james,
one of my family was born on the hms james ship ,i belive it was coming from usa to england in 1814,but i cant find no mention of it anywhere,.
he was named james atlantic greaves, so he was named after the ship he was born on,his father was called william greaves and his mother was catherine,
any help would be welcome
thank you
patricia,
Hi, I am also related to James Atlantic Greaves and I would love to find out more, where were they traveling from and for what purpose?
hi,
can anyone please tell me if they have ever heard of a ship called hms james,
one of my family was born on the hms james ship ,i belive it was coming from usa to england in 1814,but i cant find no mention of it anywhere,.
he was named james atlantic greaves, so he was named after the ship he was born on,his father was called william greaves and his mother was catherine,
any help would be welcome
thank you
patricia,

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 March 17 15:21 GMT (UK) »
Looking at the censuses I think 1881 is the only one that mentions HMS James.  There was no RN ship of that name in the 1814 era but there were several merchant vessels named James so I think we must assume that it was a merchant ship.

Incidentally I looked for newspaper mentions of James Atlantic Greaves but the only one I found was a court report (Marylebone Mercury, 2 December 1871) of him getting 2 months' hard labour for failing to support his estranged wife and children.

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk