Author Topic: Unicorn Inn - Hale Barns  (Read 16327 times)

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Unicorn Inn - Hale Barns
« on: Monday 16 July 07 18:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks

Thanks to a posting by Cheshiremog I have seen a wonderful site showing directories, which has helped me find the name of the public house kept by my ancestors.

Can anyone tell me if it still exists? It is the Unicorn Inn at Hale Barns.

Thanks! And to Cheshiremog!
Best wishes, Judy :-))

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline ken.h

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Unicorn Inn - Hale Barns
« Reply #1 on: Monday 16 July 07 19:24 BST (UK) »
In recent times the Unicorn has been renamed "Corbin's". If you look at the Manchester Metro News at www.metronews.co.uk/news/article/3/3983 there is an article published June 1 2007 covering the new opening after it was aquired by Beverley Callard.
Hardman, Whittaker, Whitehurst, Royle, Shaw, Hewitt, Ackerley, Cartledge, Hampson, Walker, Timperley, Toft, Charleton, Moskey.

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 16 July 07 19:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Ken - that's great! Thanks for your trouble  :D

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 11:50 BST (UK) »
If you go to the link below you will find an earlier photo of the Unicorn and a bit of its history.  The link is too big to copy in so it is in two parts.   It overlaps  :)

http://www.trafford.gov.uk/content/tca/display_image.asp?ImageID=5329

Link modified it should work ok now

There is also a book entitlrd Hale and Ashley - the Past Hundred Years published by the Hale Civic Society in 1987.  There are a number of photos of the Unicorn in it including an article.

Does the name Barlow mean anything to you? :)

Regards
Reiver

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 11:59 BST (UK) »
And there is more, OT  :)
I've just checked your surname interests and see Moore in Hale Barns.

Not Barlow :)

I quote from the article:-
'Some of the Moores will turn over in their graves.  The family bible shows that they kept this place for hundreds of years and nearly all the time had their own brewery'

The above extract is part of an article taken from the Manchester Evening Chronicle  of 10th January 1934.

Are you far from Hale Barns?

Regards
Reiver

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 14:37 BST (UK) »
Dear Reiver,

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately the article won't open at the moment. It says "page not found." I will keep trying though.

Yes, the Moores were my ancestors. Wonder where that family Bible is????? I knew my ancestor was an Innkeeper in Hale Barns from his will, but didn't realise that he was from a long line of them! It was only when I saw a post from Cheshiremog about a site showing old directories that I saw they were at the Unicorn. I haven't done much research on the family, as I live in Staffordshire. This has inspired me to make the effort and visit Cheshire Record Office!!

Thanks again
Best wishes, Oldtimer

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 14:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Reiver

Have tracked down the "Hale and Ashley - the Past Hundred Years" on an Altrincham History site but it seems to be out of stock or out of print!  :'(  :'( :'(

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 15:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Old Timer
Something you wrote made me think I'd misled you.

The article I referred to was in the book of photographs of Hale and Hale Barns.

The link was to a photograph on the www.traford.gov.uk web site.  You could try going in on this link
www.trafford.gov.uk
 anf finding your way throough various pages to do with Culture and Libraries etc. to something that says Trafford Lifetimes.  Another option would be to Google on Trafford Lifetimes

Contact with Manchester Central Library may enabe you to get the full article on the Unicorn.
You have the issue date.  When I read the extract in the book it appeared to me that the name Moore had appeared earlier in the newspaper article - and might say who had the Bible  :) :)

Regards
Reiver

Offline peterbennett

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Samuel if ever an Ag Lab looked like one it was he
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 15:38 BST (UK) »
Hi

The link as been modified and now works

http://www.trafford.gov.uk/content/tca/display_image.asp?ImageID=5329

peterbennett
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright<br />www.NationalArchives.gov.uk <br />Cheshire BMD  www.cheshirebmd.org.uk/ <br />Cheshire Wills database http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/recordoffice/wills/Search.htm<br />Cheshire family history society  www.fhsc.org.uk/<br />Cheshire Records Office http://www.cheshire.gov.uk/Recordoffice/aboutus/recoffcontact.tm<br /><br />--------------------------------------------------------------------<br />Bennett/,Whaley,Chesh/Lancs, Brindley Staffs