Author Topic: Unicorn Inn - Hale Barns  (Read 16329 times)

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Unicorn Inn - Hale Barns
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 26 July 07 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz!
I sent you the wrong link! If you look back through all the messages on this page you will find one about a Corrie actress buying the pub, and it shows a pic of the present day pub!  :-[ Now you know why I am called oldtimer!!!!
Best wishes, Judy :-))

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 26 July 07 17:05 BST (UK) »
Oldtimer

That one looks a bit like I remember, except it didn't have what I presume are hanging baskets or something, i.e. it was an unadorned building and there wasn't that wall in front of it, just a large open space, not paved, but sort of very fine shale or something and then a wooden fence, (where I parked my bike) and then the footpath.  The footpath on the photo looks as if it is just outside the pub now.  I don't understand that unless they've widened the road.  Maybe next time we go North, we'll take a drive round and look at all the old places.

My cousin lives in Lymm and she says Hale hasn't changed much, but that we wouldn't recognise Altrincham at all and by the sound of it, Hale Barns has changed from a smallish village to a place with wine bars and Manchester United footballers etc.

Liz

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 26 July 07 17:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Liz

Yes. I suppose it is called progress!! :-\ Not always for the better, I think!

Glad it brought back some good memories for you! I hope to visit there soon and take a look for myself.

Thanks again! Best wishes, Judy

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 26 July 07 18:22 BST (UK) »
Good evening all.

Ringway Chapel
This is/was the Chapel of Ease for Bowdon which oldtimer asked about.  For those who are reasonably familiar with the area it is next to the Romper pub near to the M56 Motorway roundabout at Hale Barns - about half a mile from the Unicorn on the way to Wilmslow.

Using a Pathfinder Map (Stockport South 741)  Grid Ref is SJ 80908470.  The church is marked.
If you want to see its position pre-Manchester Airport try www.old-maps.co.uk and enter the reference 381000 384700.   It is marked as All Saints Church.  Of course, the modern All Saints Church is almost opposite the  Unicorn - back where we started.

Liz, I think the pub 'round the corner' is the Bulls Head

Regards
Reiver

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 27 July 07 00:48 BST (UK) »
Reiver

Of course it's the Bull's Head.  Now why couldn't I remember that!!  So where is the Unicorn?  I know there was one somewhere around but I think that was called the Unicorn Hotel.

When I lived in Hale Barns, there was no Motorway, so we had to go the long way round to Wilmslow.

Liz

ps.  Sorry Oldtimer for gatecrashing your post.

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 27 July 07 13:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Reiver - thanks for that answer - I do know where the Romper is, so next time I pass near I'll look out for the chapel. Glad to know as I couldn't work it out before.
Thanks.

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 27 July 07 15:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks Reiver for the information and map link. Thanks for taking the time and trouble!  :D

Thanks Liz too for your help!  :D

Judy

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 27 July 07 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Oldtimer
I am hoping to ffind a bit more on the Moores - but it may be a while.

Hi Liz
Coming from the Altrincham direction along Hale Road
Pass Shay Lane on the left
Pass the junction with the Roman Catholic Church (St Ambrose) on the corner on the right
Pass the Cof E church (All Saints) on the right.
Pass shope on the left.
At end of shops The Unicorn

Regards
Reiver

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 27 July 07 18:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks Reiver!!!!  :D :D :D