Author Topic: Unicorn Inn - Hale Barns  (Read 16320 times)

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Unicorn Inn - Hale Barns
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 15:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Reiver  and  Peter! I will certainly try and find out "more" about my "Moores"!

Cheers!!!!!
Best wishes, Judy :-))

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 July 07 16:10 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I've been away & only just seen this thread. I can't get the link in ken.h's first response to load, but found this also in the Metro News with a photo:
http://www.metronews.co.uk/news/article/3/3983_corries_bev_swaps_the_rovers_for_hale_barns.html
The current name is The Gallery which gets a bit lost in the article.
(As someone who passes fairly often I did at first think it had been converted to an art place!  ;D)

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 23 July 07 16:19 BST (UK) »
Hi!! Thanks for the link! :) :)

As you live nearby, I wondered if you would be able to answer a question for me. Most of the ancestors I have found from Halebarns were baptized,married or buried at Bowdon. But I have seen entries on the IGI for people who I think are related to them, but they are at Ringway church. I can't find any information about this church on Google. Is the church still there? Would it be feasible for people living in Hale Barns to use this church as well? :-\

Cheers!! Judy

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline Reiver

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 July 07 17:45 BST (UK) »
Oldtimer
if you google for "Ringway Chapel" as opposed to "Ringway Church" you should find what you are looking for. 

Regards
Reiver

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 23 July 07 18:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much!! :D :D

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 July 07 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hi oldtimer & Reiver,
I recently saw something about a "clean-up" of the graveyard at Ringway - I think by the people from All Saints (the present parish church for Hale Barns & Ringway). Do you happen to know the location of the graveyard - presumably where the old chapel was? I couldn't find a location by searching & was just curious.

http://www.allsaintshalebarns.org/index.html
is the website for the present church - almost directly opposite the (former) Unicorn

Thanks

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 July 07 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi there  :)

Thanks for the link. Sorry I don't know the area at all, so have no idea where the graveyard is. Let's hope Reiver does! ;)

Wonder how old the gravestones are? Hope that they are not removing them!!!  :'(

Oldtimer

Online LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 26 July 07 16:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Judy

I lived in Hale Barns from age 12-18 and we used to walk to Ringway Airport (which has now greatly enlarged into Manchester Airport), so it would have been feasible for people living in Hale Barns to go to a church in Ringway. 

The Unicorn rings a bell, but I thought it was just round a corner of a road rather than right in the village as per the photo on the link given by Peter Bennett but maybe that was another pub.  I know there was a bus stop outside the pub I am thinking of and as I lived 15 minutes walk away, I used to ride my bike to the bus stop and just leave it leaning against the pub fence.  Then I would go to work and return some 10 hours later and the bike was always just where I'd left it.  Couldn't do that nowadays.

I never went into any pubs though, we didn't when I was young.

Liz

Online LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 26 July 07 16:30 BST (UK) »
mshrmh

I don't know where the graveyard at Ringway is or was.  There was one attached to the Unitarian Church in Chapel Lane, Hale Barns.  I used to have to go past it on my walk home from the bus stop.  I remember my friends who lived in the village asking me if I was scared walking home alone, when I asked why, they said there might be a ghost in the churchyard!  Nowadays, they'd be saying I might get mugged or worse.

Liz