Author Topic: Scottish Death Between 1841 & 1851  (Read 15595 times)

Offline janetmills

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Scottish Death Between 1841 & 1851
« on: Tuesday 17 July 07 11:09 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me how I can find a death for someone between 1841 & 1851. Scots people doesn't start 'til 1855.
Thanks

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: SCOTTISH DEATH BETWEEN 1841 & 1851
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet,

Welcome to Rootschat!   ;D

As you've posted your message in Stirlingshire, I presume that's where your ancestors came from?

If so, have you found them in any Cencus and if you have, what district in Stirlingshire were they living?

Most of the cemeteries weren't established until around 1880 so the chances are, they'd be buried in a Churchyard. Once you establish the area, it would then be a matter of seeing if Churches local to that kept Burial/Mortcloth Records. These can vary widely from Church to Church, some were immaculately kept with lots of details while others were just a name with no relationships or personal details given at all.

Another avenue to pursue is to request a look-up in the Stirlingshire pre-1855 Monumental Inscriptions Books.  You'll probably have seen quite a few references to these lately as they can be a great reference source and there's a few Rootschat members quite happy to do look-ups. Obviously if your ancestors didn't have a stone, they'll not be found in these books but there's only one way to find out!

Why not post as much detail as you have and I'm sure help won't be long in coming.

Anne

Offline janetmills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: SCOTTISH DEATH BETWEEN 1841 & 1851
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 21:29 BST (UK) »
Details are as follows: Duncan KEIR (abt 1770). Have him on 1841 census with his wife (Janet STEWART)& family (18 Easter Garchell, Drymen). Have his wife & family on 1841,1851,1861. Janet dies in 1865. They all seem to be from Drymen, Kippen area and were farmers. Have no idea where or exactly when he died or his parents names (this is really what I want to find out). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish Death Between 1841 & 1851
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Janet,

There are no MI's for Keir (or variants) in either Drymen or Kippen Churchyards.

Do you have the births for Duncan & Janet's six children? (All born in Kippen)

There is only one Duncan Keir listed as being born in Stirlingshire (in the British Vital Records) so it's a  possible for your Duncan.

The details are:

Duncan Keir, born 4th July 1803, christened 6th July 1803
Parents: Walter Keir and Catharine McPheat

There is a listing for another male child born to the same couple also in Balfron on 21st March 1799 (christened 28th March 1799) but there is no name listed.

Anne

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 22:02 BST (UK) »
Me again Janet,

I double checked the MI's in Balfron and there are actually 4 separate stones. I was looking at the wrong place!!  :-[

Does the following mean anything:

Janet Keir died 5th May 1837 aged 34
Ann Keir died 15th December 1869 aged 53

If you want a note of the other Keirs, just let me know and I'll post the details tomorrow.

Anne

Offline janetmills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 17 July 07 22:15 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for the reply.  The only child of their's that I don't have a birth for is Duncan KEIR (abt 1822) I have a christening - 8/JAN/1822.  Think the Duncan you have given me maybe related in some way, but don't think he is the one I am looking for.  On 1841 census my Duncan is recorded as being 70, making his dob abt 1771.

I would be very grateful of any information you can find for me. I am sure they will link in somewhere.  I have hit a brickwall with this one at the monent. What I am trying to establish is his parents and siblings. Thanks once again.

Offline apanderson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 July 07 08:45 BST (UK) »
I would think this is your Duncan:

Duncan Keir
Born: 6 Apr 1822, Christened: 28 Apr 1822
Recorded in: Drymen, Stirlingshire, Scotland
To Duncan Kier and Janet Stewart

I couldn't find any Duncans born c1771, the following was the nearest:

Duncan Keir
No date of birth listed, Christened 25 Mar 1768
Recorded in: Balfron, Stirlingshire, Scotland
To John KEIR and Agnes GRAY

This Duncan was one of six children born to this couple and all born in Balfron. His siblings: (no dates of birth listed for any of them, only christenings)

Daniel, christened  4th August 1758
Christian, christened October 1763
Margaret, christened 15th January 1766
Agnes, christened 15th April 1770
George, christened 7th January 1774

Sometimes families followed naming patterns for the children - were any of the above listed  names carried on?

It's obviously not a definate way of identifying different families but it can make a huge difference when you see the same names being used repeatedly down through generations.

I've sent you a PM with some more info.

Anne

Offline janetmills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 19 July 07 22:46 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for that info. Unfortunately none of the names have been carried on down the line.  I have James, John, Finlay, Duncan, Alexander  and a few others, but none as you list.

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 20 July 07 03:16 BST (UK) »
Hi janetmills,

If you list all the information which you have about Duncan KEIR & Janet STEWART and family, it just might give a clue which could help.

However, the details for the Drymen OPR in the Family History Library catalogue on FamilySearch mention deaths from 1729-1784 only - no use to you.  And the Kippen film (I've had it out) has just one page of burials 1783-1793 - again no use.

Incidentally, ages were supposed to be rounded down to the nearest 5 in the 1841 census so (assuming that Duncan knew his age accurately!) an age of 70 could mean anything from 70 to 74.

Is Duncan's birthplace shown as Y (i.e. in Stirlingshire) in the 1841?

You mention the name Finlay - I notice that the IGI has the baptism of a Duncan KEAR in 1770, parents Finlay KEAR & Janet MCFEAT, in Port of Monteith, Perthshire; that's not far away.  They also had a Walter 1772, and Finlay & Janet 1775.

Given Duncan's age, one has to wonder whether he had been married previously and perhaps had children previously - which could mean that the naming patterns of children with Janet might not be useful.  Do you have the OPR record for his marriage?

Good luck,

JAP