Author Topic: Scottish Death Between 1841 & 1851  (Read 15601 times)

Offline janetmills

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Scottish Death Between 1841 & 1851
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 12:14 GMT (UK) »
 Did your James Keir marry Jessie Mclean? My maiden name is also Keir. Do you have any other info on any of the names you have mentioned.  My James was born 1900. All the names you mention tie in with the information I have in my tree.  If we are related I have loads of certs and cencus. If I can help just let me know.

Regards

Offline cyberbear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 18 March 09 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Jessie Mclean was my grandmother and married James Keir.

James Keir's siblings were Mary Johnston Keir, Duncan Keir, Matthew Dunlop Keir, Andrew Keir and John Dunlop Keir. Are you related to one of them?

My grandfather died in October 1974, my father said he was 71, so i presumed that he was born in 1903/4. Can you give me more details about what you know? Do you anything more about Jessie Mclean?

Thanks

Offline janetmills

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 19 March 09 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Yes I am very much related. My father was Matthew Dunlop Keir!!  I have lots of information regarding the Keir's. Many Certs and census returns which I am quite willing to share.  I will dig it all out and let you have what I know.  I would be grateful of information from you about your grandfather if thats possible and also your father who would be my cousin!!  I was in contact with a lady called Mhairi on Genes Reunited and she was the grand-daughter of Mary Johnston Keir and she also gave me some information.  Will see if I find her e.mail.

Regards for now

Offline Mary6220

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 09 July 10 17:37 BST (UK) »
I appreciate that this is an old message but Duncan Keir husband of Janet Stewart is buried in Buchlyvie Churchyard next to his brother Finlay who married Barbra Morrison.
~~~~~~~~-------------------
The MI (p36) reads
15. Finlay Keir 17.5.1850 77, w Barbra Morrison 29.5.1853 83, s Finlay 23.2.1858 46
16. (next to & resembling 15) Duncan Keir late farmer Ward 1.11.1851 80, w Janet Stewart 13.6.1865 74, s Alex Lochore K. 25.10.1880 55, s Duncan 27.11.1888 66 (w. Lillias McKenzie 5.7.1904 78)
~~~~~~~~--------------------
As Janet Keir was a widow in 1851 I think that the MI has wrongly transcribed Duncan's death. It was possibly 1.1.1851

Hope this helps. I think that the ages of the two men & names of children strongly suggests parents were Finlay Keir/Kear and Janet McFeat/McPheat

Offline tokomaru

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 06 November 10 03:31 GMT (UK) »
To Janet,

I have just realized my G.G.G.G.Grandparents Finlay Kear and Janet McFeat's oldest son was Duncan Keir who married Janet Stewart also son Finlay Keir married Barbara Morrison.

Offline yeadon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 23 January 11 17:31 GMT (UK) »
My grandmother was Mary Keir eldest daughter of Duncan Keir of the Baad Farm at Gartmore. Janet I think my cousin Mhairi was in touch with you at one point.  I have an old photo with some of the family at the farm including James Keir and his wife Jessie.

I have probably got to the same point on the Keir side as others posted here.On Duncan Keir and Janet Stewart I have wondered why the traditional naming pattern was not followed in the family. Recently found out that Alexander Lochore was the minister for Drymen parish and it was the also tradition for the fisrt baby christened by the new minister to be given his name.

I have a lot of information on the Dun side if that is of any interest. 

Offline cyberbear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 29 January 11 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I have returned to this site after a long absence. I was excited to see that you posted saying that you had a photograph of James Keir and Jessie at the Baad farm, these are my grandparents and the Baad farm is where my father was (*)

Donald Keir

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline yeadon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Matthew Dunlop Keir
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 23 April 11 17:25 BST (UK) »
Janet I am having difficulty replying to personal message so will try this.   I know that your dad was only a year older than mine even although they were Uncle and Nephew. I have a photograph which I will try and attach which was taken at the Baad Farm, Gartmore in 1929 (we think). It shows Duncan Keir and Margaret with selected family members. Your Dad is one of the three boys , the one on the left. My Dad (boy on the right was 9 at this time) therefore would imagine your Dad may have went to Gartmore school. Before that I know they lived in Brahead , Glasgow and in Whitehouse Argyllshire and prior to this Duncan Keir Senior was farm grieve at Bolquhon Estate, Kippen. My dad was born there in 1920.       
Stayed at the Baad Farm last year as it is now holiday lets.

Would love to give you more info. if I have anything that would be of use.   

Offline tokomaru

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 25 April 11 02:43 BST (UK) »
Has anyone found any information on Alexander Keir/Kear married to Mary McKerracher living in Drymen around 1700s, or their sons Finlay Keir/Kear b. 1735 and John b. 1738.