Author Topic: LOARING family help  (Read 5558 times)

Offline rayel

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
LOARING family help
« on: Tuesday 17 July 07 14:35 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help me find the parents of Eleanor Loaring who married Andrew potter in Awloscombe in 1767 chears
plymouth

Offline David Loaring

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: LOARING family help
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 July 09 03:07 BST (UK) »
You may already have the answer you are looking for. My family tree (called the Awliscombe Loaring Branch) was given to be by a Maurice Loaring of UK.

John Looring (1705-1753) born and died in Awliscombe, m Mary Wills, May 1725. Their youngest of 11 children was your Eleanor, born 1747.
Our tree has Eleanor marrying Andrew Potter 19 January 1767.

I am descended from Joseph Looring, a younger brother of John's.

The head of this branch is Wm. Loaring (1655-1718) m to Elizabeth.

It is my belief that all Loarings and Lorings are descended from Albert of Lorraine (Albert de Lorraine, Albert the Clerk, Albert the Lotharingian) who lived before and after 1066, a chaplain favoured by both Edward the Confessor and William the Conqueror. Some sources have him as the clerk that wrote the entire main edition of the Domesday Book. He owned land in Bedfordshire and his descendants were named Loryng and various spellings thereof. I believe our branch may come from William Loryng, the next younger brother of Sir Nigel Loring, who was the basis for two novels by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Sir Nigel may be entombed at Chalgrave All-Saints Church, or in a nearby Priory. There is certainly a memorial to him at Chalgrave. William was a lawyer, Oxford professor and a Priest, I believe with a large family, lived to be 93 in Gloucester, was buried at Salisbury Cathedral where he was Canon. He was also Canon at Lincoln and Wimborne. There is a great tenor bell in his memory at Wimborne.
All the best, David Loaring, Burlington, Ontario, Canada

Offline rayel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 July 09 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hello David,
                So  very pleased to hear from you, no i didnt have any of that information i am very grateful to you for sending it to me, so we are related  although very distantly well thats great, ive been trying so long and so hard to find more things out and now thanks to you i have, my mum was called Eleanor so she was probebly named after her 4th great grandmother.

David once again thank you
Hope to hear from you again
plymouth

Offline rayel

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 July 09 21:30 BST (UK) »
David,
          I am interested in this person called maurice Loaring from the UK could you give me any details please
.                         best wishes
plymouth

Offline David Loaring

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 02:15 BST (UK) »
I have emailed the gentleman prior to giving out the information. He is elderly and I hope still in good health, but we shall have to wait for his reply. I also wanted to make clear that the information going back to William Loaring b1655, married to Elizabeth is from the family tree. But the additional information is my own opinion: regarding Albert of Lorraine, and that all Loarings and Lorings are descended from him, and that our branch in particular goes through William Loryng (1322-1415). I don't think that Maurice agrees with me, but my opinions are based upon what I believe to be sound logical reasoning and a good deal of evidence from a variety of reliable sources. I hope to visit England if I can ever save up enough money. William Loryng's residence is still in use. There is a fine photo of it at:
http://salisburyclosepreservation.org/Hemingsby.htm
The librarian at Salisbury gave me the information that William Loryng lived there, had it repaired and enlarged, and was buried in a now unknown location on the side lawn at Salisbury.

Offline Robert Loring

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 17 October 09 15:45 BST (UK) »
Hello David
I just stumbled upon your message and found it interesting, and maybe helpful. I would like to know about Nigel Lorings' sibblings. I realize that Nigel had two female offsprings, but have been unable to connect him in any way to my ancestry. Our branch of the Lorings begins with Deacon Thomas Loring of Axminster. I have been trying to go back behond Thomas but cannot find a source. Maybe you can enlighten me on the family of Nigel.
Thanks for any help.
Bob Loring USA
Loring, Lewis, Ambrose

Offline David Loaring

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 17 October 09 20:36 BST (UK) »
Hello there Robert: Maurice Loaring of UK conducted DNA testing which determined that 7 of 10 branches of Lorings and Loarings were blood related (a couple of branches did not participate). It is my view that ALL branches are related, but in any case the Deacon Thomas and my Awliscombe Loaring branch were 2 of the connected branches. Awliscombe is about 10 miles from Axminster. We both hit a genealogical wall in the early 1600s, BUT given the fact we ARE related by blood, it is fun to figure how that may be. The Pope Loring genealogical book published 1917 and freely available online says that the American Loring family (virtually entirely descended from Deacon Thomas) "have always used the coat of arms of the Bedfordshire Loring family". Several UK sources connect Albert of Lorraine, Clerk of Domesday, Chaplain favoured by Edward the Confessor and William the Conqueror, who owned 4 parishes in Bedfordshire before and after 1066, with the Loring (Loryng, de Loring, Loaring, Lorying, etc.) families which came later. At this time in UK surnames first came into use. Three of Albert's parishes were held in knight service by the Loring family a couple of generations later. One of these parishes, Chalgrave, was held by Roger Loring 1115-1185 (these are likely all Sirs). You can visit the website of that family Church at   http://www.allsaintschalgrave.co.uk/  Roger begat Peter Loring. Peter begat another Peter (OR Peter lived 115 years). Peter begat another Roger (6 times a rep to Parliament from Bedfordshire), father of brothers Nigel (Neel) 1320-1386, William 1322-1415, and Thomas 1325-?, and possibly also a sister Margaret 1335-? who became a nun. Nigel was famous as the Chamberlain of the Black Prince and a founding Knight of the Garter. He was well rewarded for loyalty and bravery in battle, and was the basis for two books by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (The White Company and Sir Nigel). His two brothers were both lawyer priests. William was Canon of Lincoln, Salisbury, Wimborne, rector at Huntspyll, Professor of Sacred Theology Merton College Oxford University, and retired to Gloucestershire. Thomas was less famous, but a rector in Cambridge and served as Solicitor to Sir Nigel on accasions when Nigel was fighting in Europe. It is sometimes diffilcult to separate out the real Nigel from the Conan Doyle creation on the Internet (because he researched the real Nigel 2 years before writing about him). I believe both William and Thomas had families (some Priests did well into the 1400s). I believe William's family may have been large: he enlarged his already large residence in Gloucestershire. I found an expense chit for 5 pairs of socks for the family of William Loryng. He lived to be 93.
     So there have been long runs of consecutive William Lo(a)rings which I connect to Sir William and my descent, and I connect Deacon Thomas and the entire American Loring family to Sir Thomas, Nigel's younger brother. We might connect some other way, but connect we do. Aximinster and Awliscombe are not far from Gloucestershire. And there are still Lorings and Loarings in big numbers all around there. Check Loring and Loaring on Surname search for 1881 and also recent times at  http://www.nationaltrustnames.org.uk/
All the best, David Loaring

Offline Robert Loring

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 October 09 21:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the info David.
I am very familiar with the All Saints church of Chalgrave. I have been corresponding with them recently. They say that there are new photos of the interior of the church coming soon. I hope some day there will be a breach in the brick wall from Deacon Thomas to Nigel.
As for me I was born and raised in Hingham Mass. Pope did a good job with his research and my lineage back to Deacon Thomas was easy.
It was a pleasure hearing from you in such a short response time. Wish everyone was that prompt with their replies.

Thanks again
Bob Loring
Loring, Lewis, Ambrose

Offline Heather Fraser

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 12 October 17 00:18 BST (UK) »
I am researching the surname loaring and its various forms and have found that I am descended from a Joseph looring who was born in 1714 in awliscombe in Devon. One of his brothers was john.I am doing my family tree and would like to connect with anyone who has these people in their tree.I believe there is a Canadian branch that links to this family Thanks for any information.