Author Topic: Daniel Thomas draper and one time mayor of Aberystwyth  (Read 22270 times)

Offline Amanda Melanie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Thomas draper and one time mayor of Aberystwyth
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 21 April 12 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Having my roots in Llangeitho  (my grandmother's birthplace) there has been a family story about a 'cousin' being the Mayor of Aberystwyth. However the usual Chinese whispers that you get with genealogy sent me off on a wild goose chase to no avail.  Finding this post has set me off again especially as seeing the photo of the Mayors wife was uncanny . She has got my nose! (or have I got hers??)

This makes me think the connection may be on my great grandmothers side as she was a Williams too. Catherine Wiliams, daughter of John and Dorothy Williams of Rhyfydyr Lledrod. Am I barking up the wrong tree again?

Many thanks
Amanda

Offline scrabblerDMT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 23 April 12 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Amanda,

I don't think you can have a Williams connection here, as the Williams from which Elizabeth Ellen Thomas came were firmly an Aberystwyth family.

Offline miggs 191

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 01 January 15 15:42 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to but into your chat but thought one of you may be able to give me some info please. I'm also looking for a Mayor of Aberystwyth. All I think I know is that Catherine Jones of Great Dark Street in Aber had an ancestor who was the Mayor.This is where the family story says the money came from.
I've tried searching through Google but found little help as I'm searching for pre 1860.
Anyone got any ideas please. He would be a Jones I think but possibly a Howells ( but I think Howells were in the mines then so not likely )
Thank you.
Maslin,Devizes
Perry, Devizes
Grace,Devizes
Eyles,Upavon
Banks,Lacock
Davies Islington & Aberystwyth
Jones Aberystwyth
Howells Aberystwyth
Bohane , Killaderry Skibbereen ,Cork

Offline auswendy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 03 September 15 03:17 BST (UK) »
Hi from Australia. I am very new to all this Family History and computer stuff. I am  very interested to hear more info on David William Thompson, draper assistant to Daniel Thomas in the 1881 census.  D.W. Thompson is my Great Grandfather. I would love to know who the two women that his father married are, and any info on his siblings.I am under the impression that Elizabeth Ellen Thomas nee Phillips was the eldest of two girls. Annie being her sister from the first marriage. The second marriage produced Maggie and David William (junior). Have I got this right .

And a big thank you to Abersieuth for the fabulous photograph of the Lord Mayor and his wife.

Thanks in advance Wendy

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 14 September 15 15:18 BST (UK) »
About what date was the Jones/Howells ancestor mayor miggs191?

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline auswendy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 15 September 15 09:30 BST (UK) »
Hi from Australia again. Have since found out Eliz. Ellen's mother, (Elizabeth Phillips nee Williams,) married David William Thompson(senior) after her first husband (Edward Phillips) died in 1858. David William Thompson (senior) had 2 children to Elizabeth. A daughter Maggie , and a son  David William Thompson. David William Thompson (junior) in my Great Grandfather. I would love to talk with scrabblerDMT, or anyone else who may have info. that could help .

Cheers  auswendy.