Author Topic: Daniel Thomas draper and one time mayor of Aberystwyth  (Read 22272 times)

Offline trish251

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Thomas draper and one time mayor of Aberystwyth
« Reply #9 on: Friday 20 July 07 10:00 BST (UK) »

The other Ebenezer Thomas born in 1885 is one of mine.  Parents Evan and Sarah née Jones.

Amazing - of all the Thomas's in the world someone on RootsChat owns the other Ebenezer  ;D  ;D
Now we need someone to claim one of the Mary Jane's  ;D  ;D

Seems this is the place to be  ;D  ;D 

Trish
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 20 July 07 10:30 BST (UK) »
Gallium, what's the likelihood of that?   8)
Just to make life more interesting my direct line moved to Cardiff. Now that was fun looking for a John and before Ancestry introduced the parent name search.  ::)   ::)
Are you one of the others that has posted about Llanbadarn churchyard - possibly the steepest ever seen?

Back to the case in hand - I've spotted Daniel in 1871, think the enumerator got his dittoes mixed up

Pier St, Aberystwyth RG10/5561 folio 73 pgs 45 - 46
Thomas Davies head mar 50 draper b. Llangeitho
Mary Ann wife 39 b. Ysbyty Cynfyn
Mary Jane dau 16 b. Aberystwyth
Thomas Lumley son 15 b. Aber
Frederick Albert son 7 b. Aber
John William Stephen son 6 b. Aber
Daniel George son 3 b. Aber
David Charles son 3 b. Aber
Grace Yeates 22 governess b. Liverpool, Lancashire
Lewis Griffiths unm 35 draper's assistant b. Llanfihangel y Creuddyn
Thomas Jones 23 draper's assistant b. Llangeitho
John David Rowlands 20 draper's assistant b. Llanilar
Daniel Thomas 16 draper's apprentice b. Llanilar
Mary Jones 24 cook b. Caernarvonshire, Llanberis
Margaret Davies 24 housemaid b. Llanfihangel y Creuddyn
all pobs in Cardiganshire unless otherwise stated, Aber = Aberystwyth.
Suspect this is the correct Daniel. His pob was dittoed from entry above, but think it should have been Llangeitho.

You'd expect the marriage to be in Aberystwyth if both parties were living there or in one of the home parishes. Well, it doesn't seem to be in Tregaron(covered Llangeitho) or Aberystwyth unless it hasn't been transcribed on FreeBmd. Looks like Elizabeth's family might be the clue.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline scrabblerDMT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 July 09 21:30 BST (UK) »
Hi I have researched this family quite a bit! The mother was Elizabeth Ellen Phillips born in Islington to Edward and Elizabeth Phillips (née Williams) who both came from Aber. When Edward Phillips died in 1858, Elizabeth sent her daughter to live with her parents in Aber. Funnily enough, the same thing happened to her half sister and brother when Elizabeth herself died in 1872 . and The David Thompson living with the family as a draper's assistant i actually her brother. I have a 1911 census printout for the family if you would be interested, which gives the full names of all children. I am interested in this family because I am descended from one of Eliz Ellen's half sisters. For more information please email me.

I hope this interests you   :)

Daniel

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 July 09 21:54 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!  ;D

I suggest that, unless you want to be inundated with spam, you should remove your email address. There's a system of person messages (pms) on the boards, but you need to have posted 2 or 3 times before you can use it. You could just reply to this post to reach the required number. 

You can send a pm by clicking on the green scroll at the bottom left hand side of a post.

;)
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Abersleuth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 21 October 10 00:03 BST (UK) »
Hello everybody

I am new to Roots Chat. I just  discovered these messages because I put "Nantmelyn Llangeitho" into Google and one of the entries was "Daniel Thomas draper and one time mayor of Aberystwyth". I was astonished because Daniel Thomas was my husband's Grandfather and I have been doing a lot of research on this family.  Gwendolen Eluned, youngest daughter of Daniel  Thomas was my mother-in-law. So in know the answer to some of these questions. For example, Daniel Thomas married Elizabeth Ellen Phillips in Trawsfynned because the Rector of Trawsfynned was her uncle. But I discovered a lot of new information from scrabblerDMT, so want to reply to this PM, but I haven't got 3 posts yet. This is Number 1. I hope it isn't too late to contact some of you who are interested in Daniel Thomas, for example NEQUINE, as well as scrabblerDMT.  I wish I had discovered this website sooner!

Hope to hear from some of you.

Abersleuth   :)

Offline scrabblerDMT

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 21 October 10 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hello Abersleuth- don't think I've done 3 either  :( which means I don't think I can PM. Fascinated to hear of your connection- you might be interested to know that Elizabeth's (née Williams) descendants by her second husband are actually all fairly well researched (mainly by myself and a late cousin). I am still very much interested in this branch of my paternal grandfather's family (whose grandmother was Elizabeth Ellen's half sister), but cannot quite think of how to get in touch with PM-ing. Except- perhaps they will not allow postal addresses, but I live in London, so we could always exchange correspondence!

All the Best  :),

Daniel 

Offline Abersleuth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 21 October 10 21:36 BST (UK) »
Dear scrabbler DMT

You have made two posts, so if you do one more, by replying to this, you will be able to send me a PM and we can arrange how to communicate. I go to London often so perhaps we could meet. I would love to share with you what I know about Elizabeth Ellen and the Williams and Phillips families and learn from you about Elizabeth's descendants by her  second husband.

If you reply to this you will have reached the magic 3!  ;)

Abersleuth

Offline Abersleuth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 22 October 10 22:37 BST (UK) »
I am still hoping for a reply from scrabbler DMT so we can exchange more information, but for everyone interested in Daniel Thomas, here is a photograph of Daniel Thomas and his wife Elizabeth Ellen (nee Phillips) as Mayor and Mayoress of Aberystwythm 1911-12.

Abersleuth

Offline dave56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 20 January 11 13:22 GMT (UK) »
dear Nequine,
This site proved very helpful to me
http://www.llanbadarnchurchyard.org.uk/index.html
kind regards
dave56