Author Topic: REDFORD/GRAY (Duns)  (Read 11779 times)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: REDFORD/GRAY (Duns)
« Reply #9 on: Friday 11 December 09 23:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I and other family members have been researching Redford for many years.  So far we haven't found a connection to this family but I do know that there are quite a few Burdis Redfords in the Newcastle area.  With a name like that they have to be connected to each other.

Christine

Offline allanjclaridge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 22:47 BST (UK) »
Is anyone researching the family of Margaret Redford and William Gray, baker of Duns. They married in Duns 1802 and the union produced a number of children including Jean (born 1819) , Elizabeth (1814), Dinah, Christian (1812), Burdass (sp?), and Cordelia (born 1822).

Hi, yes I'm researching this couple - as of today in fact, so can't believe that I stumbled across this within hours of identifying Margaret Redford as hubby's 4 x gt grandmother!  I've had Burdass in our tree for quite some time, though with numerous variations on the spelling (e.g. Burdis, Bordis); it seems that at least one boy in each following generation has been given this name, & it's so unusual that it's actually helped me to be sure I'm following the right Gray family  ;)

Today on Scotland’s People I found the baptism of Burduss (that’s how it appears to be spelt there): he was born 5th Jan 1812 & baptised 6th Feb 1812, in Duns.  This led me to the marriage of William Gray & Margaret Redford: 6th April 1802 in Duns.

Now on to what I’ve had in my Ancestry tree for ages – I’ve mainly followed Burdass's son William, as he is hubby’s direct ancestor:

1841 census for Stockton upon Tees:
Burdess (but transcribed as Burdup) Gray, baker, age 26, born Scotland
Jane Gray, age 24
Ann Gray, age 7
William Gray, age 1
In the column for where born, there is an ‘N’ by Jane & Ann.
The next entry on the census sheet is: Betsy Burdis, age 11 - don't know who she is, ut he name is too much of a coincidence for her not to be related!

1851 census for Stockton upon Tees Workhouse (district 2m, p.8):
Burdess Gray, widower age 41, baker, in receipt of Parish Relief
Ann Gray, daughter, age 17, b. Newcastle upon Tyne, also in receipt of parish relief
Margret Gray, daughter, age 6, b. Stockton, scholar

and then, on the 1851 census for Hartlepool (district 10h, p.2) I found:
William Gray, age 11
Burdes Gray, age 8
John Gray, age 2

I found a baptism record on the LDS site, Batch No: C028667 for Margaret Gray (spelt Grey, but the parents tally), & she had a twin, Jane Grey; both baptised 6th June 1845, St Thomas’, Stockton; presumably Jane must have died.

I lost track of Burdess senior after that, but have followed William:
1859 m. Anna Bell Whitfield (I have lots on her too)
1861 census for Winlaton, Co. Durham; 2 children, plus William’s brother Burdes/Bardis living with them.
1871 Linz Green,Tanfield, Co Durham census (surname spelt Grey): 8 children, plus William’s brother John living with them.
1881 Medomsley, Co. Durham census: 11 children
1891 Medomsely census: Anna is a widow, but of the 9 children living with her, the youngest son is 8 years old, & the youngest daughter 3 months old – Anna was 53 by this time, so it would have been stretching it for this to actually be her daughter (perhaps really a granddaughter?), but William had definitely died by 1891.
William & Anna had 13 children altogether; their son Burdis died in the 1903 mining accident at Hamsterley Colliery.

I have a fair amount of information regarding William’s brother Burdes (sp?), plus plenty more details of the Gray family which I’ll happily share with you, but until now had found very little info on the family in earlier times. Interesting as the other posts are, I’m afraid I don’t actually understand them so would appreciate some help.
For instance, what does ‘feur’ mean?  And, how do these people fit in with William Gray and Margaret Redford?

Perhaps I need to read through the posts a few more times, but was so excited that I had to get this reply written asap!

Offline allanjclaridge

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 09 May 12 22:51 BST (UK) »
Is anyone researching the family of Margaret Redford and William Gray, baker of Duns. They married in Duns 1802 and the union produced a number of children including Jean (born 1819) , Elizabeth (1814), Dinah, Christian (1812), Burdass (sp?), and Cordelia (born 1822).

Hi, yes I'm researching this couple - as of today in fact, so can't believe that I stumbled across this within hours of identifying Margaret Redford as hubby's 4 x gt grandmother!  I've had Burdass in our tree for quite some time, though with numerous variations on the spelling (e.g. Burdis, Bordis); it seems that at least one boy in each following generation has been given this name, & it's so unusual that it's actually helped me to be sure I'm following the right Gray family  ;)

Today on Scotland’s People I found the baptism of Burduss (that’s how it appears to be spelt there): he was born 5th Jan 1812 & baptised 6th Feb 1812, in Duns.  This led me to the marriage of William Gray & Margaret Redford: 6th April 1802 in Duns.

Now on to what I’ve had in my Ancestry tree for ages – I’ve mainly followed Burdass's son William, as he is hubby’s direct ancestor:

1841 census for Stockton upon Tees:
Burdess (but transcribed as Burdup) Gray, baker, age 26, born Scotland
Jane Gray, age 24
Ann Gray, age 7
William Gray, age 1
In the column for where born, there is an ‘N’ by Jane & Ann.
The next entry on the census sheet is: Betsy Burdis, age 11 - don't know who she is, ut he name is too much of a coincidence for her not to be related!

1851 census for Stockton upon Tees Workhouse (district 2m, p.8):
Burdess Gray, widower age 41, baker, in receipt of Parish Relief
Ann Gray, daughter, age 17, b. Newcastle upon Tyne, also in receipt of parish relief
Margret Gray, daughter, age 6, b. Stockton, scholar

and then, on the 1851 census for Hartlepool (district 10h, p.2) I found:
William Gray, age 11
Burdes Gray, age 8
John Gray, age 2

I found a baptism record on the LDS site, Batch No: C028667 for Margaret Gray (spelt Grey, but the parents tally), & she had a twin, Jane Grey; both baptised 6th June 1845, St Thomas’, Stockton; presumably Jane must have died.

I lost track of Burdess senior after that, but have followed William:
1859 m. Anna Bell Whitfield (I have lots on her too)
1861 census for Winlaton, Co. Durham; 2 children, plus William’s brother Burdes/Bardis living with them.
1871 Linz Green,Tanfield, Co Durham census (surname spelt Grey): 8 children, plus William’s brother John living with them.
1881 Medomsley, Co. Durham census: 11 children
1891 Medomsely census: Anna is a widow, but of the 9 children living with her, the youngest son is 8 years old, & the youngest daughter 3 months old – Anna was 53 by this time, so it would have been stretching it for this to actually be her daughter (perhaps really a granddaughter?), but William had definitely died by 1891.
William & Anna had 13 children altogether; their son Burdis died in the 1903 mining accident at Hamsterley Colliery.

I have a fair amount of information regarding William’s brother Burdes (sp?), plus plenty more details of the Gray family which I’ll happily share with you, but until now had found very little info on the family in earlier times. Interesting as the other posts are, I’m afraid I don’t actually understand them so would appreciate some help.
For instance, what does ‘feur’ mean?  And, how do these people fit in with William Gray and Margaret Redford?

Perhaps I need to read through the posts a few more times, but was so excited that I had to get this reply written asap!

Offline Shingle

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 24 November 12 17:54 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking at this line - like banana54, my direct ancestor is William Gray, son of Burdess - my line goes through his daughter Isabella - does anybody have info on her?

Offline Cabinfest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 August 16 03:30 BST (UK) »
Oh my. I've just stumbled onto this thread. I am a descendent of William Gray. My great Grandfather was the Burdis Gray killed in the mine.

Offline Cabinfest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 07 August 16 00:56 BST (UK) »
Is there anyone still following this thread?  This is so 9nteresting to me, but I have some questions. It's fun to see these names, too. I am an Elizabeth Gray, I have a brother John and my father was a James Burdis, as is my brother. I had an Uncle William. My grandfather was Burdis Gray and his father was the Burdis Gray who died in the mine.

I am having trouble following the lineages though. Some of the dates don't seem to match up right, or perhaps I am mixing up lines. Anyone here?

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 07 August 16 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Cabinfest,
All of those interested in this Family havet been on Rootschat since 2012/2013.

If you give us some dates (pob/dob) for your Grandfather and Great Grandfather Burdis Gray we can help you.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 07 August 16 12:05 BST (UK) »
Ok, may jhave found him;
Death;
BURDIS Gray
Sep-10-1903 • Hamsterley Colliery, Durham, England

Is this what you have;
1891 Census
Harton, Durham
BURDISs Gray, 30, Coal Miner, born Winlaton, Durham
Hannah Gray, 30
Hannah B Gray, 8
Elizabeth Gray, 4
Burdis Gray, 3

1881 Census
WILLIAM Gray, 43, Head, Mar, Coal Miner, born Stockton
Hannah B. Gray, 46
BURDESS Gray, 22, Comn, Unm, Coal Miner, born Winlaton****
Mathias Gray, 18
Jane Gray, 16
Margaret A. Gray, 14
Mary (Twin) Gray, 12
Eleanor (Twin) Gray, 12
Susan Gray, 10
John Gray, 8
William Gray, 6
Dinah Gray   , 4
Robert Gray,

1871 Census
WILLIAM Grey, 29
Anabella Grey, 33
Elizabeth Whitefield (Grey), 15
BORDIS Grey, 12
Bella Grey, 10
Matthew W Grey, 8
Jane Grey, 6
Margaret Grey, 5
Mary Grey, 2
Ellen Grey, 2
John Grey, 24, Boarder

1861 we have;
WILLIAM Gray, 20   
Anna Bell Gray, 23   
Elizabeth Gray, 5   
BARDIS Gray, 2   
Bardis Gray, 18, Brother   

So William has Brothers John and Burdis.

1851 Census
William Gray, 11
Burdes Gray, 8
John Gray, 2
All Paupers at School in some sort of Institution (Workhouse?)

1841 in Stockton we have;
BURDUP Gray, 26, Baker, born Scotland***
Jane Gray, 24, not born in County
Ann Gray, 7, not born in County
WILLIAM Gray, 1, born in County
Betsy Gray, 11, Female Servant,  born in County  (sister of Burdis or Neice?)

1851 in the Workhouse we have;
Burdess Gray, 41, Widower, Baker receiving Parish Relief, born Dunee (Duns), Scotland
Ann Gray, 17, Daug, born New Castouton Tyn, Northumberland (Newcastle upon Tyne)
Margret Gray, 6, Daug, born Stockton
*****Also on page is a Henry GrEy age 5 born Stockton

MARRIAGE FreeREG;
11 Oct 1834, St Michael, Bishopwermouth, Durham
Burdass GRAY to Jane DRUMFIL

So this at least confirms Family Line back to Burdis born c 1812 Duns  :)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 07 August 16 12:22 BST (UK) »
You may already have this;
St John's 12 August 1893 Burdis GRAYray (X), 32, Widower, Coal Miner, Westgate Rd, father WILLIAM Gray, Coal miner, married Elizabeth JOSE, 37, Widow, Westgate Rd, father Richard CONLY, Shipwright, witnesses Matthew Mason (X) & Isabella Mason (X)

1st Wife was Hannah WILSON married 1881 (FreeBMD)