Author Topic: Headstone for Ripper hunt officer ~ how nice, but where is the family ???  (Read 15475 times)

Offline jerryd

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Headstone for Ripper hunt officer ~ how nice, but where is the family ???
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 25 July 17 19:56 BST (UK) »
Should you ever want any info on Emma please don't hesitate to ask as I have plenty for her family & her forbears. :)

Maddie

Hi Maddie,

You don't happen to have any photographs of Frederick and Emma, do you?

Jerry

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Wednesday 26 July 17 11:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Jerry
Welcome to Rootschat. Unfortunately I don't have any photos of Frederick & Emma but if you Google Fred's name there is a sketch of him on his Wikipedia page taken from the Illustrated Police News in 1888.
Hope this helps.

Maddie
Beament, Hertfordshire, Middlesex, Canada, USA.
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire
Warrell/Worrel, Bucks & Herts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jerryd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Thursday 03 August 17 05:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Maddie. It was a long shot. There is no certain known photograph of the good Inspector. Interesting that you are related to Emma!

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 03 August 17 16:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Jerry

It is a shame no photos are known of Fred & Emma. I'm sure he didn't look like any of the actors who have played him over the years. :) My connection to Emma is through her father Henry who was a brother of my direct line ancestor James.

Maddie
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire

Offline jerryd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Thursday 03 August 17 18:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Jerry

It is a shame no photos are known of Fred & Emma. I'm sure he didn't look like any of the actors who have played him over the years. :) My connection to Emma is through her father Henry who was a brother of my direct line ancestor James.

Maddie

Thanks Maddie,

There is an H Division (Whitechapel) group police photograph that some have pinpointed a couple of different officers in the photo that COULD be Abberline based on the contemporary sketches we have. Nothing is conclusive, unfortunately. It's going to take a long lost family album I believe to stumble upon a true photograph of him. That's what I was hoping you might have had.  :)

Offline Jaxyfone

• RootsChat Extra
  • Leicester born and bred, and proud of it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 30 June 20 17:50 BST (UK) »
Haven't been on here for too long but have just rediscovered it searching for information on an ancestor.
Martha Abberline was my 2nd cousin 4x removed Her great grandparents, Tobias Mackness and Sarah Broughton were my 5x great grandparents, her grandfather (also Tobias) and my 4x great grandfather, John being brothers. John was the first of the family to move to Leicester.
Martha was born around October 1847 at Elton. On 5th March 1868, at the age of 21 (not 25, as it incorrectly says in the marriage register) she married Frederick Abberline at Islington.
I don't know her exact date of death but it was in the Apr-Jun quarter of that year, cause of death tuberculosis. They had no children.
He later married Emma Beament/Beaumant (depending on the record) and as far as I'm aware he had no children with her either.
Frederick and Martha's marriage intrigues me. She was the daughter of a family of farm labourers and yet at the age of 21 we find her in London married to a Police Sergeant. I can only think that she either went into domestic service, went there with her employers and met her husband, or that she maybe ran away there for some reason, was somehow disgraced and Abberline, seeing her state of health, married her to save her from the workhouse or any further disgrace. At some point she clearly returned home to her family and died there (Oundle and Elton are very close).
I can find no other reference to her.
This is one of my ongoing genealogy quests.
Smith (Kettering/Northants); Hill; Mackness; Chapman
Giddings; Pridmore; Salsbury.

Offline Maddie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Thursday 02 July 20 12:39 BST (UK) »
Hi
Unfortunately I don't have any information on Frederick's marriage to Martha apart from the fact she was a minor on the cert & her father Tobias was a witness along with an Elizabeth Patchett. I don't know if it's relevant but in 1871 there is a 24 year old Elizabeth Patchett in service to a Susan Gardiner & family at Highbury Place Islington, I wonder if perhaps Martha had also been in service to this family. So sad that she only lived for a couple of months & must have been suffering with TB before the marriage. How she met Frederick is another matter but I did read somewhere that my Emma Beament had been mugged in the street & Frederick dealt with the case which is how they met, if this story is true or not I can't say.!! There were no children to their marriage either.

Be interesting to know if you do find any more info.

Maddie
Brown, Herts & Berkshire
Hester, Oxfordshire
Wise, Berkshire
Dwight, Buckinghamshire