Author Topic: Isaacs Family Wincanton  (Read 12918 times)

Offline checkholla

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Isaacs Family Wincanton
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 23 June 13 23:34 BST (UK) »
I come from th family of james n trinity hicks .I 2 am findind it hard 2 sort my family ,notice ur on ancestry .my grandparents wer eddie n sophie isaacs ,although on birth certificate e was a hicks .not strange as I think due 2 the censos gypsys wer wary of people .imagine being in 1 village 4 a while havin the censos .then movin on 2another village and sum1 else takes a censos ,they wd think it was weird so theyd change ther name abit.anyway my  granddads dad was called morris  his wife betsy .his dad was called mattew on censos no wife or childrens names just abt 6 kids  .y I don't know.my mum said er granddad was called Arthur ,bt on the marriage of morris n betsty father mattew .I no theres a morris hicks married a athalia ayres .wonder if mattew is realy morris 2 as my mum said wer related to the ayres, don't know.ancestrys so confusing,so wondered if u hv any ideas

Offline achooo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 28 June 13 07:36 BST (UK) »
my husband can remember the isaacs when  1962 one had garage just out of wincanton on mere road.near hunters lodge public house.my husband is related to isaacs.

Offline checkholla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 August 13 15:19 BST (UK) »
hv heard abt wincanton rings abell .know me my grandads family stopped there,my grandad was eddie ,his wife sophie,his dad died same yr he was born his dad called marice n wife betsy.
marices dad is on ther marriage cert named mattew.can find which family mattew comes from .
but wen mattew is in censos as married jus shows wife n kids bt no names for any of them jus ages.can find 1 marriage think not certain bt cd hv married athalia ayres ,as mum says wer related to them sum way ,wd like 2 know 4 sure .one thing i do know alot of them buried in yeovil,as relatives bn to graveyard.

Offline checkholla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 01 August 13 15:32 BST (UK) »
RIGHT JUS READ ALL YOUR CORRASPNDANCE .my mattew was james iaacs brother she was trinity hicks ,and i think she hd 3 or 4 brothers she cd hv well bn relative to james as the isaacs hd habit of changing second name ,dependin wer they wer.u c with travellas they moved village n if the censos ppl came twice they wd gt supicious ,cus they didnt understand.
my grandad eddie was registered hicks.bt was a isaacs born williton

Offline checkholla

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 August 13 15:35 BST (UK) »
small world as my grt gran betsys brother james is my husbands grt grandad they wer hollands

Offline chessiepops

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 30 August 13 18:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Checkholla, thanks for your messages.  Seems like we're distantly related.  My great-grandmother was Analetta Isaacs who married Albert Camfield.  Analetta was the daughter of James and Trinity Isaacs.  Over the last few years I've been able to put together a reasonable tree of the Isaacs family which I've got on Ancestry.  You said you'd seen me there.  Don't know whether you can access my tree.  There are gaps.  Analetta and Albert travelled around for a while but eventually settled in Cardiff where I still live.  Several years ago I was lucky enough to visit a cousin who has the most amazing photos of the Hicks and the Isaacs when they lived in Wincanton.  They were a really good looking family.  There were two photographs that I think were most likely James and Trinity.  It is an amazing collection.  Matthew was definitely James's brother.  I've had more difficulty piecing together the Hicks family.  That is something I'd really like to do but I don't think it will be easy.  Thanks for the message.  Get in touch if you want any more information.
Camfield
Isaacs
Hoadley
Hicks
Mills
Tapsell
Perkins
Cox
Luck
Butler

Offline Bev Shroot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 09 July 18 08:32 BST (UK) »
Hello people.  I'm Bev and I am doing research into Phoebe Isaacs who was the daughter of William Isaacs and Jessica Hughes.  I'd like to know a few things;

1.  Does anyone know who William Isaacs parents or grandparents were?
2.  Is the name Isaacs at all Jewish?
3.  Do you know anyone who might have a photograph of Phoebe or William and Jessica?

Thank you so much for your help.  I am not related but doing some research on behalf of a friend in Sydney who may be related.

bev

Offline achooo

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 12 July 18 19:07 BST (UK) »
hi are you sure its william isaacs and jesica hughes   

Offline Bev Shroot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 13 July 18 01:17 BST (UK) »
Hi.  I'm sure it is.  If my facts are correct, then it goes as follows...

I've started with Jane Lifely whose mother was Phoebe Isaacs. 

Phoebe's parents were William Isaacs born c1816 and Jessica Hughes b1814. 

William's parents were Thomas Isaacs b? and Jane Mills b1794.

I would like to find out...

1.  Are these facts correct?  Does anyone have any records for this?
2.  What were the Isaacs family like?  I understand that they were from a large well known Gypsy family and I would love some more details of how they lived, what fairs they attended, what goods they made or sold and that kind of thing.

All information would be most gratefully received.

Thank you!  Bev.