Author Topic: St Helen's Catholic Church, Hoyland, Nr Barnsley  (Read 7808 times)

Offline elsie52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: St Helen's Catholic Church, Hoyland, Nr Barnsley
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 28 August 07 18:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Eagleye, I'm back from my hols now and have enlisted the help of a friend to come with me and have a look at the cemetary tomorrow afternoon. Here's hoping it's not a huge one!

Regards,
Linda
Rolfe - Norfolk. Wright - Nottingham. Elliott - Leics/Nottingham. Pritchard - West Hartlepool. Fowler - Nottingham. Keetons - Chesterfield area.

Offline eagleye

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 28 August 07 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi again Linda,

Hope you enjoyed your hols.  It's very kind of you to do this for me.

I doubt St Helen's has a large graveyard.  Their website says the parish is 'tiny'.  It says the school is right next door.

I had come to a halt in my research and this is the first glimmer of hope I've had in months so I'm all excited now!  Mustn't build my hopes up too much though.  I await your news with baited breath.....

Regards,
Eagleye 
HALPIN (Halpen, Halpine, Alpin, Alpine) of Tallow in Waterford (Ireland) Glamorganshire (Wales) & Yorkshire
GALLAGHER of Achill in Mayo (Ireland) Lancashire & Yorkshire
SULLIVAN of Killarney in Kerry (Ireland) Glamorganshire (Wales) & Yorkshire
O"HARA of Achill in Mayo (Ireland) Lancashire & Yorkshire

Offline elsie52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 August 07 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hello Eagleye, Well, I don't know how successful my friend and I have been but here goes.

The church is currently undergoing some improvements and has scaffolding on it. We asked a chap up a ladder where the graveyard was and he pointed us to the back of the Catholic Social Club. Here we found a very small graveyard with a few graves in it. A couple were tending one of the graves and when we asked about Halpins, they said there were some there! They also said a local man called David Coalfield (could be spelt several ways) had written all the names of the graves down about twelve months ago. I have his phone number which might be a start for you, but let me have your email address as it's probably not fair to publish it here without his consent.

Right, this is what we found -

George Halpin Died February 18 1948 Aged 77
Mary Elizabeth, Wife of Above Died December 2 1965 Aged 90
John Laurence, Son of Above, Died June 22 1944 Aged 39
Andrew. Son of Above, September 6 1972 Aged 69

All these are interred in the same grave.

Also -

Sweet Jesus have mercy on the soul of a dear husband and father
John Halpin
Died 26 December 1961 Aged 66
William  Halpin husband of Mary Halpin Died May 15 1929 Aged 63
Also the above named Mary Halpin Died August 24 1934 Aged 67

There is another graveyard about half a mile away with a section for Catholic burials. The only name we could find was:

John Gallagher Died 18 October 1982 Aged 60
Anne Veronica Died 9 September 1994 Aged 74

The is a priest who covers several churches, perhaps that's why you had no reply.

Some of the graves are unmarked in the old yard, so it might be worth seeing if David has access to the burial records - he must be interested to write  them all down in the first place.

I guess we have had partial success.

Good luck with your search :) :)

Linda and Charlotte
Rolfe - Norfolk. Wright - Nottingham. Elliott - Leics/Nottingham. Pritchard - West Hartlepool. Fowler - Nottingham. Keetons - Chesterfield area.

Offline elsie52

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 29 August 07 17:04 BST (UK) »
Before I forget - and for the benefit of anyone else reading this - there were lots of Irish names in the old and new graveyards. We saw O'Hara, Marren, Maycock,Monaghan, Riley, Kelly and Rooney.

The people we met said they came to be miners from Scotland, but maybe it was via Scotland from Ireland :-\

Cheers, Linda

Offline eagleye

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 29 August 07 20:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Linda,

Good result overall.  All the Halpins seem to be 'mine' (the birth years coincide) though none of them are those I am researching.  The Gallaghers I can't place anywhere but will bear in mind.  Still, it all helps and I now know more than I did.

This David Coalfield may well be able to help.  As you say, he must be interested.  I'll PM you my email.

Many thanks again,
Eagleye 
HALPIN (Halpen, Halpine, Alpin, Alpine) of Tallow in Waterford (Ireland) Glamorganshire (Wales) & Yorkshire
GALLAGHER of Achill in Mayo (Ireland) Lancashire & Yorkshire
SULLIVAN of Killarney in Kerry (Ireland) Glamorganshire (Wales) & Yorkshire
O"HARA of Achill in Mayo (Ireland) Lancashire & Yorkshire

Offline peter meagher

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 February 18 21:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am interested to find out the intest in the these Graves as they appear to be distant relatives of mine through my father.

Best regards

Peter

Offline gripper4400

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 31 December 19 13:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am the Gt grandson of Thomas and Mary Gallagher, and have researched most of the family, if i can be of any help, let me know.