Author Topic: "Tycarrig", Den. or "Rhydaven", Mer. in 1783. Were they farms or placenames?  (Read 3104 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Hi, Everyone,
I've recently been supplied with details from The London Apprentice Abstracts, on British Origins.  There are two places mentioned in connection with farmer's sons who were apprenticed to a farrier:
"Tycarrig", Den (presumably Denbighshire) for a farmer called Robert Roberts; and "Rhydaven", Mer. (Merioneth?) for a farmer called Robert Godfrey.
Both of these entries are for 1783, and I was wondering whether they would have been names for the farms themselves or the nearest village or placename.  The other question is, do these two names exist today on the Ordnance Survey map?
Very many thanks,
keith 

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Tycarrig", Den. or "Rhydaven", Mer. in 1783. Were they farms or placenames
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 July 07 10:27 BST (UK) »
Tycarreg would likely have been a house name - ty (my keyboard won't do a circumflex above the letter) is house and carreg crag/rock. Guessing the other name is an anglicised version of Rhydafon - ford on the river, possibly a house name. Not on the Genuki list of Merionethshire place names.

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: "Tycarrig", Den. or "Rhydaven", Mer. in 1783. Were they farms or placenames
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 July 07 10:46 BST (UK) »
Osprey,
Thanks very much for your input on this...
Looks like I'll have to try and get hold of some old maps of Merioneth and Denbighshire to see whether I can locate these farmsteads or houses.
Very best wishes,
keith