Author Topic: Could someone identify my great uncle's regiment please?  (Read 4466 times)

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Could someone identify my great uncle's regiment please?
« on: Tuesday 24 July 07 16:21 BST (UK) »
Hi, these are a couple of photos of my great uncle Bert during WW1. Can anyone tell me which regiment he was in please? What are the strange "holsters" they are wearing? Thanks very much. Oldtimer
Best wishes, Judy :-))

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Could someone identify my great uncle's regiment please?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 17:13 BST (UK) »
Great photos Oldtimer  :D

The unit Bert served appears to be the Machine Gun Corp judging by the cap badge. He was obviously mounted, and would carry-out mounted duties for his battalion.

They are wearing a bandolier which were ammunition pouches and are carrying riding crops/whips.

Do you want to post his full name and where he was from, so that a forum friend might help you some more.

Reid: Nicol: Peterhead and Aberdeen
McDonald: Greig: Milne: Aberdeenshire
Moreland: Lanarkshire, Whitehaven in Cumbria and Ireland
Cunningham: Lanarkshire, Cumbria and Ireland
Halliday: Falkirk, Stirlingshire and Ireland
Redpath: Stirlingshire and Banbridge
McKay:

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 17:15 BST (UK) »
They all look really young on the photos, is there not any other clues written on the back?

McKay:

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Atom! Thanks very much. His name was Herbert Leslie Allen, and was born in 1901, so he wasn't very old in those photos. He was living in Stockingford, Nuneaton at the time of the war. He lost two brothers in 1915. He survived the war, and in WW2 he was a petty officer in the RN.

Thanks again! Oldtimer  :)

"All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 17:35 BST (UK) »
Sorry Atom - I don't have the original photos - they are copies that were sent to me by Bert's daughter.

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 18:32 BST (UK) »
 :D Good news to hear that Bert survived WW1.  Do you think his daughter has his WW1 medals?  If so, and she looks on the rim it should tell you his number, rank name and regiment.

There is a Herbert L Allen with the RFA, number 14859.  On the MICs (medal Index Cards), he's listed firstly as a Bombadier, then as a Sergeant (regimental number remains the same).  He might have transferred into this as it was not so unusual for MGC to transfer into another unit, or vice versa.

What was his brothers names that died, and their regiments/units if you know?

Anne  ::)
McKay:

Offline oldtimer

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 19:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne

First, thanks again for the information. It seems highly likely that it is the Herbert Leslie that you found. I don't know if his daughter has his medals - I only communicate with her by snail mail, but I will definitely write to her and ask her!
I have been looking at some Machine Gun Corps sites on the web since last I heard from you, and found them very interesting. One of them, an old Comrade association, has asked for any old photos, so I think I will email them these.

I know quite a bit about his brothers from the Commonwealth War Graves Site.  His brother Sidney died first, on 21st July 1915. I recently posted a photo of him to be restored on "Photo Restoration" and had some lovely answers. He was a corporal in the 7th battalion Kings Royal Corps. His service number was A/599. He was buried in the Bedford House Cemetery. I don't know anything about the circumstances of his death though, what battle it was etc. I have a photo of his gravestone, taken by my nephew on a school trip a few years ago. His other brother who died, Charles Henry Allen, died on 25th September 1915. His service number was 11391. He was in the 5th Battalion Oxford & Bucks Light Infantry. Again I don't know anything about which battle he would have died in. He has no known grave, and his name is inscribed on the Menin Gate at Ypres.

My grandad, their brother George Albert Allen, was in one of the South staffordshire regiments, but thankfully survived the war. Unfortunately I don't think his medals have survived in the family.

Hope this is of interest to you!
Thanks again! Judy

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 21:03 BST (UK) »
 :) Hi Judy

Your story was extremely interesting, if sad.  Thankfully your Grandad survived.  I see that Charles died the same date as my relative. Here's Charles on SDGW:

Copyright image removed

McKay:

Offline atom12

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 July 07 21:04 BST (UK) »
 :)

Not forgetting Sidney:

Copyright image removed
McKay: