Author Topic: St Saviours Cemetery, Goulburn, N.S.W.  (Read 17202 times)

Offline Chris Frater

• RootsChat Senior
  • Alexander Frater & Penelope Hay
    • View Profile
Re: St Saviours Cemetery, Goulburn, N.S.W.
« Reply #18 on: Friday 30 November 07 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Carol,

On the Goulburn Pioneer Register they are listed as NICHOLLS...

I have Johns Nicholls death as  9 Oct 1869
Ann's (1st wife) death date as 9 Oct 1853 at Bungonia and buried at St.Saviours Cemetery.

1... Agenor Robert Nicholls b. 24 Aug 1846, Lake Bathurst, NSW, died 1930 Coast Hospital, Sydney, NSW. married Adeline Milne 1871

Agenor & Adeline's Children:
Robert George Nicholls
Walter Nicholls
Ernest J Nicholls
Ethel E Nicholls
Arthur Joseph Nicholls
Violet A Nicholls
Muriel E Nicholls
Ellen I Nicholls
John W Nicholls......

2.... Catherine Nicholls b. 17 Jan 1851, Tarago, NSW.

John Nicholls then married on the 8 May 1855 to Ann Tew (2nd wife)  at St. Saviours, Goulburn.

Children:
Walter Nicholls b.13 Jan 1856 married Eliza D Tickner 1886
William Nicholls b.14 Jun 1858 d.1859
Thomas Nicholls b.1859 d.1942 married 1882 Amelia Batten
Joseph Jenkinson Nicholls b.10 Jun 1861 d.1886
Henry James Nicholls b.1865 d.1865

Hope that may of been of some help...
Christine
UK, Scotland and Australia: <br />Surnames: Card : Frater : McKillop-Davies : Gurr : Williams : Russell : Davies : Pitt/Pitts : Sutton: McKillop: Pickering: Limburner: Jackson: Brown: Glover: Wright: Rapley

Offline mentmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 30 November 07 22:45 GMT (UK) »

Hi Christine,

That is absolutely fantastic, thank you so much.
The only quiery I have is the birth date of Agenora Robert Abraham, I was lead to believe he was born on board ship during the voyage to Aust. and date of birth 28th May 1849.
But thanks for all the info.

My very best wishes to you

Carol

Offline Chris Frater

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 30 November 07 22:59 GMT (UK) »
A little more from the Goulburn Register,

Ann Tew b.c1833, Paulerspury, North Hamptonshire, England to a Thomas Tew and Catherine Dawson. Arrived 9 Jun 1849 per "James Gibb", Free. Occupation: House Servant. Religion, Methodist.

I double checked on Agenor Robert Nicholls again and the CD does say Born: 24 Aug 1848, Lake Bathurst, NSW  not 1846  like I stated earlier. I am sorry abt that.  Due to that mistake I checked the other dates again and there where all right.

I  have Thomas Nicholls 1859, children also did you want them?

Sorry abt the mistake of the year again .
Christine
UK, Scotland and Australia: <br />Surnames: Card : Frater : McKillop-Davies : Gurr : Williams : Russell : Davies : Pitt/Pitts : Sutton: McKillop: Pickering: Limburner: Jackson: Brown: Glover: Wright: Rapley

Offline mentmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 01 December 07 00:10 GMT (UK) »

Christine

Now this is odd.  Have just looked at info sent by a rellie in OZ, which shows the Assisted immigrants, with  the Nicholls family arriving 1849.
Against Agenora Roberts Nicholls name 'bv' which I assume means born on voyage, obviously an error on one of the documents, could his birth cert have been issued Lake Bathurst? when the family docked in NSW. Doesn't really matter, you have supplied me with lots of information, to which I am greatful. Would like Thomas Nicholls childrens names please.

Thanks

Carol

Offline Chris Frater

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 01 December 07 00:19 GMT (UK) »
It is very possible that he was registered after they docked. I just had a look on the Birth Death and Marriages web site for NSW, the registration for Agenor R Nichols is V1850611 35 and was registered in 1850. Some time after they had docked.  You can check this by going to and perhaps even order the certificate,  www.bdm.gov.au

This one listed as Thomas Nichols b.1859, Goulburn, NSW d.1942 Granville, NSW son of John Nicholls and Ann Tew. Occupation: Railways. Brick Maker. Religion, Cof E. married 1882 Goulburn to Amelia Batten b.1864 Goulburn, daughter of Charles Batten and Amelia ?.

Children:
Edith Caroline b.20 Oct 1882, Goulburn. Married  Young, NSW 1900 to Alfred Clifford.

William Thomas b.1884 Goulburn, d.1885 Murrumburruh, NSW

Ernest J b.1885 Murrumburruh, NSW  (note: also says Kingsvale, NSW)

Albert Victor b.6 May 1888, d.3 Jan 1929 Newtown, NSW,  married 1914 to Elizabeth M Spliet.

Charles John b. 13 Sept 1890

Ada b.1892 married Goulburn 1908 to William J Reardon

Edwin J b.1894 married Temora, NSW 1916 to Lillian M Ross

Horace Alfred b.1897 married Ryde NSW 1937 to Lucy M. Rimmer

Leslie N b.1901 Hay, NSW married Glenfell, NSW 1921 to Mary E. Downey

Percy J b.1903, Glenfell, NSW d.1904 Glenfell, NSW

This one listed as Walter Nichols b.13 Jan 1856 Goulburn, NSW son of John Nicholls and Ann Tew. Occupation: Railway. Religion C of E. married Eliza Dengate Tickner b.1865 Camden, NSW. d.1931 Canterbury, NSW daughter of Henry Tickner and Martha Rideout. Religion, Presbyterian.

Children
Ethel Ann b.11 Feb 1887 Rocky Ponds, Goulburn NSW
Joseph Henry b.26 Feb 1888 Rocky Ponds, Goulburn NSW
Charles Walter b.26 May 1889 Rocky Ponds, Goulburn NSW
Alice Maud b.13 Dec 1891 Gaylong, NSW
Frederick W b.1897 Buriedrowa, NSW married Newton, NSW 1923 to Ethel P Richardson
Ida M b.1900 Hay, NSW married Sydney 1930 to Sidney R Wood.

Offline mentmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 03 December 07 22:42 GMT (UK) »

Christrina

Many, many thanks for all the information you have given me.

I don't think the Aust. census returns have survived have they? If they have is it poss to find where the Nicholls family were in any census, please.

Sorry, that I have mis-spelt your name previously.

Carol

Offline Nichols grave find

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 15 March 09 01:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol,
New contact for you here. Did anyone get back to you in this meantime with a photo of the Nichols grave? I'll be be going to the St Saviour's Cem this afternoon on a guided tour ( I live only a few blocks away anyway) so it'll be nice to get an expert's view for a change. I'll get a digital photo for you anyway and the name of an archivist/St Saviour's contact also in case it might still be useful as your posting didn't suggest you'd got the full info.
All the best,
Andrew

Offline Nichols grave find

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 15 March 09 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol,
In case you didn't get a photo of the Nicholls gravestone I have to report the script isn't in too legible due to the condition of the sandstone, but using a few tricks I hope to have improved on what there was, also maybe I'll go tonight to get more shading on the script with a torch. While the St Saviours' records you got from Goulburn give Ann's second name as "Mariah", "Margaret" appears instead on the headstone (the postings haven't mentioned Ann Tew's middle name), also I'm pretty sure I can make out on the last line "WITH her small child", then lower down ERNEST J NICHOL is indicated, although preceded by an "and" which doesn't suggest he was the "small child".But, a child of the second marriage wouldn't be likely to be in the grave of the first mother, and the only date still legible is the last two figures of EJN, which look like --81 or --91. Did Ann Tew die early? Interesting also is no suggestion at all that John Nicholl is in the grave, and there is only one Nicholl grave in the cem. Or have mistakes been made? The stone isn't of good quality, parts of the script look juvenile, the sides of the stone are uneven and the cutting marks irregular. It would have been wonderful to get clear dates for when the woman had "departed this life.... " at the top of the headstone.
Hopefully you can reply and 'fill me in' instead.
Best wishes,
Andrew

Offline mentmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 15 March 09 22:07 GMT (UK) »

Hi Andrew

Thanks for your reply regarding the Nicholls of Goulburn. No one got back to me regarding a photo, but by your info the gravestone is not in good condition. All I know, apart from what other RCers have given me is that John Nichols went to Australia 1849 with his wife Ann Maria and a son Frederick. A son was born during the voyage. Ann Maria died Oct 1853, buried Goulburn. John married Ann Tew in 1855, and when John died in 1869 he was buried with his first wife Ann Maria.
Any other infor would be much appreciated.
Carol