Author Topic: Maryport  (Read 91681 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Maryport
« Reply #162 on: Saturday 08 July 17 22:05 BST (UK) »
Parents John Macdougall Crerar  (b.1835 Lawers, Kenmore - d.1896) = Catherine
Campbell  (bc 1843 Scotland) [IGI]

http://news.rootsweb.com/th/read/CRERAR/2003-11/1069387838

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Mcrerar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: Saturday 08 July 17 22:13 BST (UK) »
Presume you have the probate for Sir James Crerar K.C.S.I. C.I.A.  passed away Williamstown House, Castlebellingham County Louth - 29 August 1960
1960  ???

Obituaries - The TIMES

The Times August 31 1960
SIR JAMES CRERAR
Sir James Crerar, K.C.S.I., C.I.E., who spent the first 20 years of his Indian Civil Service career in the Bombay Presidency and was later Secretary and then Member of the Viceroy's Executive Council in the Home Department, died on Monday. He was 82. He was born on December 11, 1877, the son of John Crerar, of Maryport, Cumberland, and educated at George Watson's College and Edinburgh University. He passed the Indian Civil Service examination of 1900 and spent his probationary year at Balliol College, Oxford, where he gained his M.A. On arrival in Bombay he was posted to Sind for early district experience and in 1906 became Assistant Collector and Manager, Encumbered Estates in that sub- province. Having quickly acquired the mastery of Sindhi he held for five years the post of translator to Government. At the end of 1911 Crerar was transferred to Rajkot as Assistant Political Agent in the Kathiawar State. In the middle of 1913 he was selected to be Municipal Commissioner of the Town and Island of Bombay and within a year was officiating as Secretary of the Judicial, Political and Special Department His courtly bearing and other qualities attracted the attention of the new Governor Lord Willingdon, and soon after the outbreak of war in 1914 he was selected to be the Governor's Private Secretary. Bombay was the real base of the many Indian contingents and it received the greater number of sick and wounded from Mesopotamia, British and Indian, and other Eastern theatres of the conflict. The services of the Willingdons in innumerable ways were of the utmost value to the Allied cause, and they had in Crerar an enthusiastic as well as a wise and patient right- hand man. At the end of 1922 Lord Reading had selected Crerar to officiate as Secretary of the Home Department at Delhi, and he was confirmed in the appointment in the following year. The post was onerous for at the time the Congress movement was nominated of Mr. Gandhi's cult of non-cooperation and civil disobedience. After a brief acting appointment, Crerar was chosen in 1927 to be Home Member of the Viceroy's Executive Council. Unlike his immediate predecessor, the late Sir Alexander Muddiman, who had gone to the United Provinces as Governor, Crerar was temperamentally grave and reserved, yet his handling of the Opposition in the Legislative and his sincerity in the promotion of the welfare of the sub- continent won him general confidence and esteem. For no less than 1Z anxious years, up to his retirement in 1934, he had been in the heavily overworked Home Department. He married, in 1916, Evelyn, third daughter of the Hon. Charles Brand. She died at the end of 1954. leaving a son and daughter.

December 24, 1954

Lady Crerar, wife of Sir James Crerar, K.C.S.I., C.I.E., died in London yesterday. She was Evelyn, daughter of the late Hon. Charles Brand, and her marriage took place in 1916.

Sandra

Thanks Sandra. That one is more detailed than ones i have read before. We have photos of James and Evelyn in India when their children were small.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Tuesday 11 July 17 19:26 BST (UK) »
Sounds like you already have a fair bit of information.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Karen Wright

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Saturday 05 August 17 09:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Audrey
If you still have your book, please could you look up James Marshall Wright , he was colliery manager there in 1885 and lived in 2 Marshall Place, Nelson Street, his son Alexander died in 1885 too and they had three other children. Not sure which colliery he was manager of though
Many thanks
Karen Wright

Offline Bona

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: Monday 18 October 21 23:08 BST (UK) »
Well it has been a while since I posted in this particular thread.
Was originally looking for info re  Isabella Gemmell  b.Maryport Cumberland  circa 1845. May have been out on that date. Recently made a couple of discoveries.Had a good look at her marriage cert to Thomas Christie and thought I'd  have a look for records for the female witness, Margaret Ann Muncaster. Found her and Isabella (14 yrs) on 1851 census with Isabella recorded as Isabella Gemmel Muncaster,the niece of Margaret ann's father,  Edward Muncaster. Edwards parents are William Muncaster and Margaret  Gowanlick. I'm having  trouble pinpointing which of their daughters could be Isabella's mother. Any help appreciated very much.
Christina,Christini, Decristina, Lucchi,Sims, Christie,Crago,Sinclair, Hathaway,Dods,Grattan,Farr,Lockley,Hassen,Mullan,Gemmell,